Scott Frost FIRED & Updates on Nebraska Coaching Search Thread

on the timing - someone with a lot of clout must have gotten in Trev Alberts' ear and told him "Frost has to go now, or else." I don't know what the 'or else' could have been, but it must have been persuasive.

FWIW - the interim HC is apparently the 1st black HC in Nebraska history - not just for Football, but for all sports.

on the timing - someone with a lot of clout must have gotten in Trev Alberts' ear and told him "Frost has to go now, or else." I don't know what the 'or else' could have been, but it must have been persuasive.

FWIW - the interim HC is apparently the 1st black HC in Nebraska history - not just for Football, but for all sports.

Maybe Dr. Tom?

Reports sounding like he is getting the full buyout

Props to him

It's easy to live on the yearly interest of $15 million.

With what he's already made, the guy should just hang it up.

So much for all the theories.

I also think it might be a bad look to other candidates to have Neb try to weasel out of the whole amount and threaten to "NOT" fire him ... but he be dead man walking...

One of those things that if you negotiate, no matter how well meaning, it looks like you are trying to change the deal after the whole deal is over. Next coach might see their offer and think "yeah but later are they going to demand I re-negotiate?"

In the land of CFB where outside of serious issues you pay it all out... trying not to is wonky.

I disagree, I think the consensus was to give him the opportunity to turn those one score losses around, instead he was 0-2 in that quest.
Yeah there was a large alumni contingent saying one more chance

They were wrong.

If they were 3-0 right now they’d be thinking they were right though

He would probably get them back to 8 wins a season.
In 11 years at the FBS level as a head or assistant coach he has been involved with 3 8 win seasons.

So I’m not sure that’s true

1, 2, and 5 on that list are completely unrealistic and wouldn’t take a job at Nebraska when they could have much better jobs come their way in the next 1-3 years.
Agree and the only way the get either 3 or 4 on the list is by giving them a ton of money

So much for all the theories.

I also think it might be a bad look to other candidates to have Neb try to weasel out of the whole amount and threaten to "NOT" fire him ... but he be dead man walking...

One of those things that if you negotiate, no matter how well meaning, it looks like you are trying to change the deal after the whole deal is over. Next coach might see their offer and think "yeah but later are they going to demand I re-negotiate?"

In the land of CFB where outside of serious issues you pay it all out... trying not to is wonky.
🤷‍♂️
Seems Crazy to me - but Nebby doing Nebby things.

In 11 years at the FBS level as a head or assistant coach he has been involved with 3 8 win seasons.

I see that as cherry picking as the northern illinois team continued at very high levels with his players. He shouldn't be faulted for continuing his upward rise -- or that northern or minnesota were so bad when he got there

I see that as cherry picking as the northern illinois team continued at very high levels with his players. He shouldn't be faulted for continuing his upward rise -- or that northern or minnesota were so bad when he got there
Sorry for cherry picking his career at the FBS level in its entirety

I don’t think cherry picking means what you think it means

The amount of $$$ that the NE donors are willing to spend on the NE football team is staggering.
Their sense of their self worth must be tied to the football team's national footprint.
I saw PJ's and Leonard's name on the list of possibilities as replacements for Frost.
The expectations of NE fans and donors is not matched by the demographics and geography of NE.

He did it before so you don't think he can do it again?

I was talking 8 wins as a ceiling. Not every season.

Sorry for cherry picking his career at the FBS level in its entirety

I don’t think cherry picking means what you think it means
It's fine to pick out the FBS years. It's pretty bizarre to include his years as an assistant to make your argument look better. Lying with numbers at its finest, and you didn't even need to do that because his FBS career isn't all that impressive. He's 3 of 8 when it comes to 8 win seasons as an FBS head coach.

I don't think he'd get there at Nebraska. Maybe once.

Last edited:

He didn't. They were either going to wait a few weeks or fire him now. I guarantee you that they did not pay the full 15M buyout. I'm sure it went something like this.

Alberts: "Scott, we are going to make a change. We have two choices... we wait for a few weeks until your buyout goes down, and we pay that. Or we mutually agree to do it now for a much smaller amount than the $15M.

Frost: "Ok, how much smaller are we talking about?"

Alberts: "We'll give you $1M more than your October buyout if you go now, rather than to wait a few weeks. It will be better for the program this way. But no matter what, you won't be getting the $15M. "

Frsot: "Fine, let's do it now."

That’s not how successful organizations operate though, and while Nebraska had been down for awhile, they’re not going to jerk around one of their past great players no matter how bad he’s been as a coach.

It wouldn’t look good for them as a school, and it wouldn’t be good for the players just to save a few $$$. Money is not an issue at Nebraska. They’re doing what they feel they need to do to try and salvage this season, and to salvage their image for the next hire.

Pretty much considered the 2014 loss to us as the final nail in Pellini's coffin.

Things have been untenable since last year but the camel's back broke yesterday.

Another thing to consider, with the new relaxed transfer rules, how many players leave after the season?

It's fine to pick out the FBS years. It's pretty bizarre to include his years as an assistant to make your argument look better. Lying with numbers at its finest, and you didn't even need to do that because his FBS career isn't all that impressive. He's 3 of 8 when it comes to 8 win seasons as an FBS head coach.

I don't think he'd get there at Nebraska. Maybe once.
Are you going to be okay?

He did it before so you don't think he can do it again?

I was talking 8 wins as a ceiling. Not every season.
8 wins as a ceiling is a much more reasonable assertion

Top Bottom