Scott Frost FIRED & Updates on Nebraska Coaching Search Thread

I would think the conversation went somewhere along the lines of, "we're going to fire you in 3 weeks and you'll get $7.5 M or let us fire you today and we'll give you $10 M."

Frost says, give me the $10M.

As far as lower buyout theories go:

Scott won’t be making big time HC money anytime soon. It would be insane for him to take anything less than the amount in the contract.

As far as lower buyout theories go:

Scott won’t be making big time HC money anytime soon. It would be insane for him to take anything less than the amount in the contract.
But the amount in the buyout drops to $7.5M on 10/1. Dead man walking. By taking, say $10 now, he increases his take by $2.5 M.

I was hoping he would stay

Nebraska's problems run a lot deeper than Scott Frost

Nebraska was always an artificial creation, sustained mostly on its past successes. Players wanted to leave Cali and Texas and Florida to come play for Tom Osborne when it meant competing for championships and getting drafted. The in-state talent makes Minnesota look like Florida.

It's going to be much harder to build a team almost 100% from out of state when none of those kids have seen Nebraska be even a low-end competitor for conference titles in their lifetime. The Huskers aren't a destination for much of anything anymore, except nostalgic college football fans.
Without college football, Omaha would be like a cold Minneapolis.

It's probably more like, you're fired effective Oct 2, we will suspend you until that date. If you accept firing now, we'll kick in a sweetener, to make it worth your while.
Exactly - this shouldn't be so hard to understand.

Why would Frost negotiate against himself for less money?
He didn't. They were either going to wait a few weeks or fire him now. I guarantee you that they did not pay the full 15M buyout. I'm sure it went something like this.

Alberts: "Scott, we are going to make a change. We have two choices... we wait for a few weeks until your buyout goes down, and we pay that. Or we mutually agree to do it now for a much smaller amount than the $15M.

Frost: "Ok, how much smaller are we talking about?"

Alberts: "We'll give you $1M more than your October buyout if you go now, rather than to wait a few weeks. It will be better for the program this way. But no matter what, you won't be getting the $15M. "

Frsot: "Fine, let's do it now."

1, 2, and 5 on that list are completely unrealistic and wouldn’t take a job at Nebraska when they could have much better jobs come their way in the next 1-3 years.
Yep, I don’t think Nebraska is the destination job many people seem to think it is. More than likely their next coach will be someone from a non power 5 team or a coordinator.

Yep, I don’t think Nebraska is the destination job many people seem to think it is. More than likely their next coach will be someone from a non power 5 team or a coordinator.
I agree.
Why would you jump from Kentucky to Nebraska when it’s easier to win 9 games at Kentucky….9 wins at Kentucky gets you the Nebraska job. 9 wins at Nebraska gets you fired 4 years later.

So no, stoops waits for a real helmet school not a 1990s helmet school. Nebraska football in 2022 is like the gophers trying to hire a coach in the 1980s

The one thing I am quite sure of is that Frost was not reached out to concerning this firing. 7.5 million is chump change for many alum that are involved in the program. Yes, it’s ridiculous money to most of us but it’s a round ing error for some. Frost is garbage which made him perfect for Nebraska, Im sorry to see him go.

Never underestimate the ego down there. Guessing that the boosters and powers that be at Nebraska knew that Oklahoma is coming to Lincoln next Saturday. They were terrified of being blown-out on national TV.

Least this way if that does happen, they can say "we didn't even really have a Head Coach".

Bet that would be worth a few million to them.;)

I agree.
Why would you jump from Kentucky to Nebraska when it’s easier to win 9 games at Kentucky….9 wins at Kentucky gets you the Nebraska job. 9 wins at Nebraska gets you fired 4 years later.

So no, stoops waits for a real helmet school not a 1990s helmet school. Nebraska football in 2022 is like the gophers trying to hire a coach in the 1980s
Stoops will never leave Kentucky. He gets an automatic 1 year extension for winning 7 games, 2 for 10 games. With increases. It's the best contract for a team who's really just trying to get to basketball season.

The worst mistake would be hiring someone who thinks Nebraska should be a place where 4 and 5 star kids want to and will sign.

Neb is going to have to be rebuilt from the ground up, on a foundation of 3 star kids, who you develop.

If I were them, I'd look at Rossi. Sorry, and hope like heck it doesn't happen. Hopefully we can rest fine knowing they probably aren't that smart, and will try to make a splashy, big "name" hire.

Jerry Kill, as mentioned.

I was hoping he would stay

Nebraska's problems run a lot deeper than Scott Frost

Nebraska was always an artificial creation, sustained mostly on its past successes. Players wanted to leave Cali and Texas and Florida to come play for Tom Osborne when it meant competing for championships and getting drafted. The in-state talent makes Minnesota look like Florida.

It's going to be much harder to build a team almost 100% from out of state when none of those kids have seen Nebraska be even a low-end competitor for conference titles in their lifetime. The Huskers aren't a destination for much of anything anymore, except nostalgic college football fans.
So much has changed since Osborne was the head coach at Nebraska. The big difference, as you point out, is that Osborne used to get top-drawer guys from all over the country as a lot of those guys now head to SEC schools. Osborne didn't run the cleanest program and looked the other way a lot as long as guys could contribute on the field. But the NIL has simply (in my opinion) made all the behind-the-scenes stuff above board so there's probably going to be less under-the-table stuff going on.

Devaney and Osborne ran an unbelievably effective walk-on program and they used to get almost every three-star and above recruit from the surrounding states (especially on the O- and D-lines) to augment the skilled players they would get from the West and South. But that's all gone now. Nebraska is still stuck in the mindset that made them so powerful in the 1980s and it shows.

Watching some of the snippets from Frost's post-game comments, he was more congenial than usual so he probably had a feeling that the axe was going to fall. He's always come off as a joyless insufferable pr*ck so I found his demeanor a bit off his norm.

Maybe the University of Nebraska didn't spend all its COVID money and is going to use it to remove the virus that is losing them football games at an alarming rate.

Panthadad's theory:

Nebraska: "we owe you $15m per this legally binding contract if we fire you today. Will you take less if we fire you today?"

Scott Frost: "OK."
It’s entirely possible Nebraska gave him some money between 7.5 and 15 mil to leave now instead of waiting 2 weeks.

The one thing I am quite sure of is that Frost was not reached out to concerning this firing. 7.5 million is chump change for many alum that are involved in the program. Yes, it’s ridiculous money to most of us but it’s a round ing error for some. Frost is garbage which made him perfect for Nebraska, Im sorry to see him go.
If the buyout didn’t matter Frost would have been fired after 3-9.

Panthadad's theory:

Nebraska: "we owe you $15m per this legally binding contract if we fire you today. Will you take less if we fire you today?"

Scott Frost: "OK."

Dude…

I think you owe each other an apology. Kiss and make up.

If the buyout didn’t matter Frost would have been fired after 3-9.
Trev was giving his friend another chance. The buyout, firings and contract restructure allowed Trev to hedge his good faith act. That's my read

Stoops will never leave Kentucky. He gets an automatic 1 year extension for winning 7 games, 2 for 10 games. With increases. It's the best contract for a team who's really just trying to get to basketball season.
Yeah, if I’m stoops I consider leaving for like…..5-7 jobs and they’re the big 5-7

Top Bottom