Scoreboard malfunction

By definition an unreasonable amount of time is not your fault. If it was your fault, it wasn’t unreasonable

Yes you are right. I will call out stupidity the first time I see it as well as continued stupidity
Fair enough. I should have said longer than usual. It was reasonable as I knew the wait would be long because I came late with all the many others who think they can get there right at kickoff and not have to wait more than five minutes.

We were talking about this during the game... as there is some backlash out there about the spending, we were thinking that the glitches could have been intentional....

What a brilliant recruiting tool for all the visitors.

What kind of lawn mower do you recommend? Especially for $200. That's a solid deal.
I just spent 200 for a new bottom bracket on my bicycle. No reason to buy a new bike but hoo boy ar especially parts spendy

Oh, I get that they have unreasonable expectations, but to continue to do the same thing and expect different results, and then complaining every time is baffling.
Maybe one time the U will listen. Maybe. There's always hope.

Got in no problem in about five minutes at 10:45. It's the rush right before/at kickoff of late tailgaters and and last minute fans that caused the delay, along with not just walking to another gate to enter. Had no trouble getting a beer in about two minutes late second quarter either. Some fan expectations baffle me.
Agree. People realize there are 45,000 people trying to get into the same place and use the same facilities? The lines moved as fast as possible for people trying to all get in 10 minutes before game. Same issues occur at any event where all are trying to get in at once.

Agree. People realize there are 45,000 people trying to get into the same place and use the same facilities? The lines moved as fast as possible for people trying to all get in 10 minutes before game. Same issues occur at any event where all are trying to get in at once.
Everything being said about the ability of fans to improve the situation is correct, of course. The frustration is that it isn't only the fans who need to recognize the problems, but also the University. Even if you believe that the lines "moved as fast as possible," which I do not, that ignores huge parts of the problem. What you are really saying is that "the lines moved as fast as possible once you account for the fact that the University has decided to handle security through a contractor with a hodge podge of poorly trained temporary workers and funnel 45,000 fans who they know from experience generally want to arrive 0-15 minutes before kickoff through 20-30 metal detectors." (I am guessing at the number, but the point is that they know that they don't have nearly enough to efficiently handle the rush of fans that they know are coming and haven't corrected the problem.)

The U has multiple options to improve these issues, most of which cost money they are choosing not to spend. That is certainly within their rights, but then they can't also be surprised when many of their customers object to being told that their behavior is the problem and/or that the University doesn't care enough about the fan's experience or the stadium atmosphere to make it better.

This is simply not true. I have been through many different security screenings in many different settings, and seen lines move much faster than this.

I'm a fan of (and have attended games for) a lot of sports teams in Minnesota. It is clear that the U simply values customer service less than many other entertainment opportunities, and this is symptomatic of that. The only time they seem to do anything is when they create some kind of overly formalized reward program, that really just serves as a way to try to incent additional purchases (which, in isolation, is a good thing, but it is not a comprehensive culture of customer service). But I never get the impression that the U looks at its revenue sports offerings from the lens of "whether it's a season ticket holder, or first time attendee, what can we do generally make this a better experience for the customers."

When I was in high school, I worked for a minor league hockey team. The arena did hire some third party security to deal with unruly fans. But, in addition to that, they employed their own separate group of "section leaders" (my role) to stand at the top of sections and help with customer service. We were just high school kids making minimum wage, but we would get training every season on customer service. It was clear that the expectation of us was that we would interact with fans, solving their problems (no matter how silly or petty they seemed, because if you actually care about customer service, that doesn't matter), and generally make sure they had an enjoyable experience. The team took this so far that they instituted a "secret shopper" program, where they would plant "fans" who would come sit in our sections, and fill out a report where they graded us on whether we greeted them and how well we served customers (someone who I later learned was a secret shopper asked me some questions about the rules, and ended up grading me on whether I offered to walk halfway around the arena to guest services to pick up a little free pamphlet the team published with basic hockey rules, which I did, because that was clearly the kind of thing we were expected to do to improve customers' experience). Maybe I just am not seeing it, but I don't feel like I am ever encountering that kind of effort at Gopher games, and Gopher football is a much higher revenue operation than this minor league hockey team.

I'm curious how things are at Vikings games - how long does it take to get in at US Bank if you walk up 10-20 minutes before game start? That's probably the closest comparison since the Twins and Wild are much lower capacity.

I was entertained by a couple students trying to smuggle in beers. Security was actually amused by those who tried. One guy went through the metal detector four times. Got wanded and the security person pointed to his crotch area...had the beer down the front of his pants with a long t-shirt covering it.

Probably not, and in the medium and long term, it's even less likely to be powered that way.
Don't we still have two nuclear plants near the Cities? Prairie Island?

Was always the correct answer. Three Mile Island coupled with the movie China Syndrome basically sunk it in the US. Never recovered from that.

If we would've blanketed the country in nuclear, we legit could've been far, far more along in helping to solve carbon emissions.

on the slow lines - correct me if I'm wrong, but is part of this tied to the bag policy? I heard somewhere that a lot of people keep trying to bring in bags that don't meet the guidelines, which slows down the whole process.

It's not like the bag policy is a secret. If you have to bring stuff into the game, get a bag that meets the guidelines. or am I missing something?

on the slow lines - correct me if I'm wrong, but is part of this tied to the bag policy? I heard somewhere that a lot of people keep trying to bring in bags that don't meet the guidelines, which slows down the whole process.

It's not like the bag policy is a secret. If you have to bring stuff into the game, get a bag that meets the guidelines. or am I missing something?
They have a bag and no bag line. Bag line are probably faster as there are fewer people with bags.

Casual fans don't remember there's a bag policy. My wife finally gets it, but we've been to a couple events at the X in the last couple years where she brings a small purse thinking it's small enough and then I end up walking it back to the car.

Is this a scoreboard discussion or gate security discussion. We already have a post about the lines and security.

Top Bottom