Scoreboard malfunction

pharmacygopher

114 Row 11
Reaction score
We're getting a new board just in time. I'm sure everyone there noticed the giant section of the scoreboard being frozen/pixelated/malfunctioning for a good portion of the 4th quarter.

Definitely time to be upgraded.

We were talking about this during the game... as there is some backlash out there about the spending, we were thinking that the glitches could have been intentional....

We were talking about this during the game... as there is some backlash out there about the spending, we were thinking that the glitches could have been intentional....
The U of m isn’t capable of getting people into the stadium in less than 20 minutes but they are capable of orchestrating a conspiracy to help PR

I liked how the frozen section perfectly filled the top opening on one of the "8"s when they published the attendance for the game.

Apparently they can't get replacement parts. The firm they bought from no longer exists, and at least in terms of parts from other makes/models of giant boards, they do not work.

Glad at least the Regents saw fit to pony up the $$ for this one...

The U of m isn’t capable of getting people into the stadium in less than 20 minutes but they are capable of orchestrating a conspiracy to help PR
Got in no problem in about five minutes at 10:45. It's the rush right before/at kickoff of late tailgaters and and last minute fans that caused the delay, along with not just walking to another gate to enter. Had no trouble getting a beer in about two minutes late second quarter either. Some fan expectations baffle me.

Apparently they can't get replacement parts. The firm they bought from no longer exists, and at least in terms of parts from other makes/models of giant boards, they do not work.

Daktronics still exists. Or do you mean the subcontractor that Daktronics bought parts from?

Got in no problem in about five minutes at 10:45. It's the rush right before/at kickoff of late tailgaters and and last minute fans that caused the delay, along with not just walking to another gate to enter. Had no trouble getting a beer in about two minutes late second quarter either. Some fan expectations baffle me.
If you are baffled by people being upset at not getting for kickoff when they are at gate 10 minutes before kickoff then you clearly don’t work with the general public as part of your profession

Daktronics still exists. Or do you mean the subcontractor that Daktronics bought parts from?
As in the technology has advanced to the point where the parts you need to fix 10 year old scoreboards are becoming more expensive than a new scoreboard would be long term.

Like when you buy a new lawn mower for 200 instead of having a 140 dollar repair every year

As in the technology has advanced to the point where the parts you need to fix 10 year old scoreboards are becoming more expensive than a new scoreboard would be long term.

Like when you buy a new lawn mower for 200 instead of having a 140 dollar repair every year
What kind of lawn mower do you recommend? Especially for $200. That's a solid deal.

If that’s true hopefully they’re not taking the dollar store bid this time around and buying from a long term company.

Toro on clearance at Home Depot in about 45 days
But now you just caused me look at Home Depot .com and I bet the 200 dollar clearance from 2 years ago is a 300 dollar clearance now LOL

They're using the same company. Daktronics. Same company the Twins used and also are replacing their scoreboard this year.
Yup, outdoor scoreboards like this have a shelf life.

I don’t believe it was a glitch.

I am 100% sure it was Bill Cypher jinxing the Gophers.

My kids all agreed...

Last edited:

If you were going to go all conspiracy wouldn’t you glitch the scoreboard before you ask?

If you are baffled by people being upset at not getting for kickoff when they are at gate 10 minutes before kickoff then you clearly don’t work with the general public as part of your profession
Oh, I get that they have unreasonable expectations, but to continue to do the same thing and expect different results, and then complaining every time is baffling.

Anyone know if the cowboys scoreboard still looks good? It's 14 or 15 years old.

Oh, I get that they have unreasonable expectations, but to continue to do the same thing and expect different results, and then complaining every time is baffling.
complaining about things that are poorly run doesn’t go away because it is poorly run every time

Nor should it

complaining about things that are poorly run doesn’t go away because it is poorly run every time

Nor should it
It's not though. Guess you are one of those people. I can count on one hand since the stadium opened the number of times I have had to wait what I thought was an unreasonable amount of time. At least three were my fault.

It's not though. Guess you are one of those people. I can count on one hand since the stadium opened the number of times I have had to wait what I thought was an unreasonable amount of time. At least three were my fault.
By definition an unreasonable amount of time is not your fault. If it was your fault, it wasn’t unreasonable

Yes you are right. I will call out stupidity the first time I see it as well as continued stupidity

I have to admit manipulation crossed my mind as well.

like it or not, planned obsolescence is a fact of life with technology. my home PC is out of warranty, and the manufacturer has been sending me little pop-up messages that "parts for this model will no longer be available after this date......"

no different with the big video boards. they change the technology just enough to make the older models outdated. so you're left with the choice of buying a new model or crossing your fingers and hoping that the old model doesn't break down. of course, sooner or later it will break down, and then you're hosed.

But now you just caused me look at Home Depot .com and I bet the 200 dollar clearance from 2 years ago is a 300 dollar clearance now LOL
Get a battery powered mower. Gas mowers are ancient in comparison. Less noise, clean air, and almost no maintenance.

Top Bottom