Saturday Spring Game Predictions/Thoughts

GopherTakes

Reaction score
I know its a few days away and I'm getting ahead of myself but I would love to hear some thoughts on what you expect to see / what you want to see from the game this saturday.

Something I will be interested in seeing is how people react if there is an increased number of sacks during the game. Obviously they weren't our strong point in defense last season so will people be taking this as, with a new DL coach and starters our Defense has taken a stride in the right direction, or will this be perceived as our OL taking a step backwards with the departure of JMS at center to hold down the line.

I know its a few days away and I'm getting ahead of myself but I would love to hear some thoughts on what you expect to see / what you want to see from the game this saturday.

Something I will be interested in seeing is how people react if there is an increased number of sacks during the game. Obviously they weren't our strong point in defense last season so will people be taking this as, with a new DL coach and starters our Defense has taken a stride in the right direction, or will this be perceived as our OL taking a step backwards with the departure of JMS at center to hold down the line.

I would hope there are 0 sacks because why are we hitting our QBs?

Curiosities:

1.) how many throws will go to the RB's.

2.) Overall route design: Will there be more short routes (good indicator they don't think line can defend) vs. longer forming routes like in the past.

3.) How much does Kramer play QB vs. V

Curiosities:

1.) how many throws will go to the RB's.

2.) Overall route design: Will there be more short routes (good indicator they don't think line can defend) vs. longer forming routes like in the past.

3.) How much does Kramer play QB vs. V
I'll add in, where on the depth chart is Greg Johnson? I don't expect a true freshman to be starting, but he's a little different than most freshman lineman we typically get. Can he run with the 2's and look good?

Any gadget plays for Hoskins?

D. Wright playing?

Who fills in for Trill Carter, as in starting in his place?

A Gophers win! Seriously though, I will be looking at the passing offense for some hints of changes, and the play of both lines. I saw some good stuff on these in the open practices and am looking forward to how that stuff translates into a simulated game evironment. Also curious about punt returns...

for starters, what type of format will they use? Fleck said earlier that there would be "some changes" in the format. He alluded to some issues with players missing the game with minor injuries or being held out for precautionary reasons, leading to depth questions at certain positions.

So, what are they going to do and how much will it resemble an actual scrimmage?

a few things I will be watching for:
-accuracy from the QB's
-different receivers getting targets
-competition at RB
-who is playing LB

for starters, what type of format will they use? Fleck said earlier that there would be "some changes" in the format. He alluded to some issues with players missing the game with minor injuries or being held out for precautionary reasons, leading to depth questions at certain positions.

So, what are they going to do and how much will it resemble an actual scrimmage?

-accuracy from the QB's
-competition at RB
-who is playing LB
I'm guessing offense vs defense. I think the issue is not enough players to do a Gold vs Maroon this year.

-accuracy from the QB's
-competition at RB
-who is playing LB
I think the change is more to not splitting up into two distinct teams, but rather having the offense going against the defense. At least that's what I took out of his comments.

I would hope there are 0 sacks because why are we hitting our QBs?

They count sacks when the defensive players touch the QB in the spring game. I actually think we can get a gauge on D line and O line play and the amount "touch" sacks can be part of the evaluation process for both sides.

They count sacks when the defensive players touch the QB in the spring game. I actually think we can get a gauge on D line and O line play and the amount "touch" sacks can be part of the evaluation process for both sides.

I guess? Just don’t think it’s a great gauge.

I guess? Just don’t think it’s a great gauge.

Why? It should be relatively decent indicator if a guy is winning a blocking battle or not. Coaches judge that all day, every day, as QBs aren't allowed to be hit almost ever.

I love the spring game as it's fun to see the development of individual players and an entire position unit. But I also take it with a giant grain of salt.

I'm interested in what the depth at LB and CB looks like. I think we're thin numbers wise but maybe the RS FR are ready to step up. I envision the portal for both given the attrition this offseason.

Why? It should be relatively decent indicator if a guy is winning a blocking battle or not. Coaches judge that all day, every day, as QBs aren't allowed to be hit almost ever.

Because if your QB gets touched in the back while stepping up in the pocket it’s not a sack.

I'll add in, where on the depth chart is Greg Johnson? I don't expect a true freshman to be starting, but he's a little different than most freshman lineman we typically get. Can he run with the 2's and look good?

Any gadget plays for Hoskins?

D. Wright playing?

Who fills in for Trill Carter, as in starting in his place?
If Dylan W isn’t enrolled, I wouldn’t think he could play. Seems like he took this semester off(?). He hasn’t been on the spring practice roster, right?

If Dylan W. was on the sideline for the game—a strong indication he was coming back—I would be greatly pleased.

If Dylan W isn’t enrolled, I wouldn’t think he could play. Seems like he took this semester off(?). He hasn’t been on the spring practice roster, right?

If Dylan W. was on the sideline for the game—a strong indication he was coming back—I would be greatly pleased.

He gone.

Because if your QB gets touched in the back while stepping up in the pocket it’s not a sack.

It is an indicator of pass rush or lack of pass rush. Not the only indicator, but 100% something to pay attention to.

It certainly will be a gauge the coach's use, as they always have.

I don't know why you would ignore it, but go ahead if you choose.

My go to prediction..
midnight-staley-pain.gif

Randy chimes in:

Three things to watch in Gophers spring game​

Here are some story lines to watch:

1. Changing of the guard … and center and running back and quarterback

From top to bottom, the Gophers offense will have an entirely new look. Tanner Morgan's concussion issues in 2022 allowed for a long look at Athan Kaliakmanis at quarterback, while running back Mohamed Ibrahim, the school's all-time leading rusher, and All-America center John Michael Schmitz leave huge shoes to fill. And then there's the change at coordinator, with Kirk Ciarrocca off to Rutgers and Greg Harbaugh joining Matt Simon as co-coordinators. Fleck hasn't announced his primary play-caller, but Harbaugh certainly looked to be handling that role in spring practices.

2. Improving the pass rush

Joe Rossi has worked wonders as the Gophers defensive coordinator, and his 2022 defense ranked fourth in the Big Ten in yards allowed (294.7) and was the stingiest in the conference in third-down conversions allowed (27.88%). Those stats are even more remarkable when you consider the Gophers accomplished that with not much of a pass rush in 2022. Minnesota's 19 sacks ranked next-to-last in the Big Ten and tied for 111th nationally. The pass rush, of course, has been a point of emphasis in the spring, with former Gophers defensive end Winston DeLattiboudere III taking over as defensive line coach. Ends Danny Striggow and Jah Joyner figure to be keys to getting pressure on opposing QBs.

3. Kesich could see double duty

Matthew Trickett rebounded from a subpar 2021 to make 15 of 18 field-goal attempts and all 47 of his point-after kicks as a senior last year. In line to take over is junior Dragan Kesich, who's been outstanding on kickoffs, producing 59 touchbacks in 71 kicks last year. If Kesich's big leg can be an accurate one, too, the Gophers will be in good shape. He's 0-for-1 on field goals in his Gophers career, with Iowa blocking his 53-yard attempt in 2021. Kesich's competition is Ball State transfer Jacob Lewis, who was 12-for-16 on field goals in two seasons with the Cardinals.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom