Samuel Oyenuga?

Ski U Master

Reaction score
My buddy just texted me that he heard this kid committed, anyone know if that's accurate?

Says it on GI. Don't know a thing about him, besides he likes to pay homage to the early 90s with that flattop

ESPN lists him as 5-11, 168lbs from Rowlett, Texas.

Scout and Rivals have us as his only offer with interest from North Texas, Memphis and Wake.

Go Gophers!!

dont forget though, everytime we sign a kid with no other offers we're supposed to say, remember Esslinger and mb3 had little interest and look how they turned out. oh, and i'm sure he's a diamond in the rough. oh, and trust the staff because they recruit 24/365. maybe they have more film than North Texas and felt confident offering this kid.

at least we had a sweet thread talking about how great brew is when we got Marquise Hill a number of months ago even though he's no longer here. that thread was fun though.

it's only june 30th, why does everyone play the offer card this early. If it were october of his senior year then I agree, but some kids don't get on the recruiting scene until their senior year. I hate it when the offer card is played during the flippin summer, especially this early. For crying out loud, lamonte edwards hardly had any offers last year when he committed. I'm not saying he will be that big of a prospect, but hey give the kid a chance to prove himself this fall when it counts. Give the recruiting process time to play itself out before we begin analyzing this. Let's bring this back up in October when it will be relevant again.

it's only june 30th, why does everyone play the offer card this early. If it were october of his senior year then I agree, but some kids don't get on the recruiting scene until their senior year. I hate it when the offer card is played during the flippin summer, especially this early. For crying out loud, lamonte edwards hardly had any offers last year when he committed. I'm not saying he will be that big of a prospect, but hey give the kid a chance to prove himself this fall when it counts. Give the recruiting process time to play itself out before we begin analyzing this. Let's bring this back up in October when it will be relevant again.

I don't think anyone's playing the offer card - it's just giving some background info on the kid - as the 1st two things people ask are - how many stars is he? And what other offers does he have?

Welcome, Samuel!

I agree. Frankly, I trust the coaches as well. He is a good student, like the physical part of the game and is 5'11 plus. In our scheme we need longer physical corners. Out of Texas where High School football is virtually semi-pro. I think he will likely show fine. Keep in mind that this staff has identified plenty of great players that had no offers but later blew up. The Staff knows talent for sure. Lets relax and enjoy the fact that another Texas kid and his family foung The U a desireable place to matriculate college and play football. Go Gophers!

The staff isn't gonna wait for Rivals to rate a kid and for him to get a certain amount of offers before they'll offer him. If they get a look, and like what they see, they'll offer him, simple as that. When it's this early in the game and they've offered a kid, then they must want the kid.

What's the point of bitching about offers anyway, whether it's now or February? The whole thing is a crapshoot regardless. Sure, the higher-rated recruits are more likely to pan out, but taken on a case-by-case basis, there's no way to know (especially when the kid hasn't even played his senior year of HS) how good any of these kids will be. There are plenty of 5-stars to completely suck, and plenty of no-stars who were drafted into the NFL. Settle down and give the kid a chance.

Borland had only one offer and he turned out great for Wisconsin last year. This kid has freshman defensive poy written all over him.

He certainly passes the eyeball test. I did a little checking, it's no surprise the coaches know about him, his school plays in the same conference as Skyline, Garland, and South Garland. His team wasn't very successful at 4 and 7, but given his conference, he had to play against some of the best.

What's the point of bitching about offers anyway, whether it's now or February? The whole thing is a crapshoot regardless. Sure, the higher-rated recruits are more likely to pan out, but taken on a case-by-case basis, there's no way to know (especially when the kid hasn't even played his senior year of HS) how good any of these kids will be. There are plenty of 5-stars to completely suck, and plenty of no-stars who were drafted into the NFL. Settle down and give the kid a chance.

Brew has had a consistent strategy. If he likes the film on a recruit he offers early--it doesn´t matter if that kid has offers from half the schools in major college football or nobody at all.

Let´s say this kid does well at camps this summer or has a big senior season. Would you prefer that Brewster wait until a recruit is being courted by other schools to offer him? Doesn´t it make sense to try to lock down kids that are talented regardless of what their offer lists look like?

Marquise Hill had a nice offer list...

At least this kid has a chance to get in.

While it may give pause for concern, that is not an atypical view for an eighteen year old to hold, many of whom will go on to lead successful lives and careers.

dont forget though, everytime we sign a kid with no other offers we're supposed to say, remember Esslinger and mb3 had little interest and look how they turned out. oh, and i'm sure he's a diamond in the rough. oh, and trust the staff because they recruit 24/365. maybe they have more film than North Texas and felt confident offering this kid.

at least we had a sweet thread talking about how great brew is when we got Marquise Hill a number of months ago even though he's no longer here. that thread was fun though.

1. you are an idiot
2. Hill will be a Gopher when all is said and done, just as Gray and Spencer Reeves are. Be patient and wait for him to arrive.
3. you are an idiot

I don't mind the lack of stars or offers at this point in time, but what I don't like is that he apparently has yet to visit the campus - at least GI has him listed as not having visited. Commiting this early without even waiting to see the campus and meet other players makes me fear he's simply reserving a spot while hoping something better comes up. I personally agree with the schools that won't accept commitments until the player visits. It's the freeking summer before his senior year. What's the hurry?

I don't mind the lack of stars or offers at this point in time, but what I don't like is that he apparently has yet to visit the campus - at least GI has him listed as not having visited. Commiting this early without even waiting to see the campus and meet other players makes me fear he's simply reserving a spot while hoping something better comes up. I personally agree with the schools that won't accept commitments until the player visits. It's the freeking summer before his senior year. What's the hurry?

He visited during camp on 6/19.

I believe you are wrong about him seeing the campus. I think I read that he and his parent(s) visited and he committed a weak after.

Top Bottom