Sam Maresh

Jeshurun

King of the Too's
Reaction score
It's time to kick him off the team. WCCO says he's a suspect in an assault, which obviously means he's guilty of something. We can't have thugs like him on this team. In fact, we should expel him from the University. In the meantime we can persist in completely destroying his personal reputation and life before having all the facts (or any facts), because, let's be honest, who needs facts anyways? Guilty until proven innocent: that's what I say! A totalitarian police state is something we all should be striving for. If you were seen somewhere near a crime, you had better be able to prove that you weren't involved or it's straight to the gallows.

It's time to kick him off the team. WCCO says he's a suspect in an assault, which obviously means he's guilty of something. We can't have thugs like him on this team. In fact, we should expel him from the University. In the meantime we can persist in completely destroying his personal reputation and life before having all the facts (or any facts), because, let's be honest, who needs facts anyways? Guilty until proven innocent: that's what I say! A totalitarian police state is something we all should be striving for. If you were seen somewhere near a crime, you had better be able to prove that you weren't involved or it's straight to the gallows.

+100 :clap:

Well done!!!

hmmmm. i wonder if this 26 year old guy (who supposedly claims to also be a gophers fan) might have been running his mouth and "cocking off" about coach brewster and the football team like some of the so-called "fans" do here on GH???

just a logical theory of mine. if he was, i have to say that i can't really blame WHOEVER punched him in the face! guessing that the guy probably deserved what he got. you usually do when you engage in a fight with someone.

Is a fight a real crime?

I guess my youth predates the birth of most of you on this site. Fights were frequent even in small towns. It was no big deal. Usually happened at the local dance halls. A couple guys would rough it up for a few minutes and everything was said & done.

Now days they call a fight an assault. I not saying ok go out and fight but I think it is at a different level than the other things that have been in the press lately. If it goes along with underage drinking then they have other issues to deal with.

"" A couple guys would rough it up for a few minutes and everything was said & done. ""

And the next night they were sitting together having another beer laughing about it.

Been there, done that, Spaniel. :)

Something I noticed about Maresh that's in the "for what it's worth" category...
During the 4th quarter of the Cal game, my nephew (12 yrs. old/big football and Gopher fan) pointed out four guys laughing and joking at the end of the bench, not paying attention to what was happening on the field. When I looked down, I noticed Maresh and three teammates not in uniform. They had their backs to the field, making hand signals and mouthing words to some fans about 15 rows up. Both groups were laughing and were obviously friends of some sort.
This went on through most of the quarter, and it looked really bad. I was a little disappointed as here were the Gophers, locked in a tight battle with a highly-regarded team, while some of their teammates looked to have total disregard for what was happening. It was the first time I noticed that our team seemed to lack discipline, but I shrugged it off because it was Maresh. I figured he's been through a lot, and maybe deserved a pass at the time.
It is what it is, I guess. But something that stuck in my mind through the season.

After the Cal game, I was at a bar near campus and Maresh came in to order some food. A friend of mine said something like, "Good game today." At that point, Maresh assumed it was a sarcastic insult, which it was not. I forget Maresh's exact words, but basically he responded with with a comment that could have instigated some trouble. My friend responded that he really meant that it was a good game, walked away, and nothing came of the exchange. The whole situation struck me as odd, but I chalked it up to all of the negativity that the team has to endure from local sportswriters and fans. It was not, and still is not, a huge deal, but it certainly makes me view this situation more critically than I would have prior to that day. That said, it really has no bearing on the facts surrounding the case, of which we have none.

thug_photo_sculpture_photosculpture-p153001776307404028qdjh_400.jpg

This is a non story, and a hatchet job

First of all the headline and lead sentence are phrased that Sam is a suspect in an assualt, and ties him as another athlete in trouble with the law. The second sentence reveals Sam admits he was a witness. And when you get to the police report on the "victim" it is sceptical at best. A cut over the eye that needed a couple stitches. The problem, the press who trumpet the First Amemdment seem to stop their reading right there. They either have no interest, once their rights are insured. Their cavalier disdain for the 5th and 14th Amendment needs someone to cram it to them. Were does a individual right to due process meet the right to a free press? Is the presumption of innocence invalid when it comes to the right to publish?

In many cases and stories they choose to not reveal the names or description of assailants. But when it suits them......

Shame on you WCCO. Don't ever tell me about your rights, until you honor all the rights enumerated.

I believe that the news director at WCCO has ties to Wisconsin.

This must have been outside the Sportsman. I used to love that place.

Anyway, whoever this guy is, he should consider himself lucky. If you start a fight with someone considerably larger than yourself, you should not complain when that guy beats knobs on your head.

Hey Bronco: I hate to go grammar police on your Juco-educated brain, but it would be "whomever punched him." Further, Maresh needs to shut his mouth, tuck his beer muscles away and leave the situation. It doesn't take a Nuclear Physicist to figure out that bashing someone's head in to the point they need hospital attention is going to drive really bad attention to a team that doesn't need it. The entire squad needs to make better decisions and understand that they're in a fish bowl. As much as we can't condemn them out of hand, don't make dumb excuses for them either.

It doesn't take a Nuclear Physicist to figure out that bashing someone's head in to the point they need hospital attention[/QUOTE

According to the guy who answered the door the dude needed 2 stitches. Hardly assualt and not a story. If the guy was talking crap about the football team it is Maresh's job to shut him up. If someone talked trash about your wife or daughter at a bar would you not stand up for them? Like someone else said, "the guy's mouth wrote a check his hands couldn't cash"

It doesn't take a Nuclear Physicist to figure out that bashing someone's head in to the point they need hospital attention[/QUOTE

According to the guy who answered the door the dude needed 2 stitches. Hardly assualt and not a story. If the guy was talking crap about the football team it is Maresh's job to shut him up.

Are you serious? I'm not commenting on this particular incident, as we have no idea about Maresh and what he may or may not have done. But really? No offense, but if our players beat up everyone that talked trash about Gopher Football...there would be no one left to sit in the stands. Let's be honest here.

Once again, do we have to go over the fact that student athletes are representatives of the U of MN and are held to a higher standard? That's what they sign up for...that means that a regular kid can get in a fight, and no one will really know about it. If a player gets in a fight, it spreads like wildfire and chances are, will be reported. Same with smoking pot. Regular college kid...unless they get caught, no one would probably know. Player...gets drug tested and suspended.

People try to egg these guys on all the time, but one has to show restraint. It's like a job. If I beat up every customer or mine that was rude or pissed me off, I would be unemployed.

I see where you are coming from but I believe in family and the football players, coaches, and program is Sam's "family" he needs to stand up for them. Some things can be shrugged off, others can not. We do not know the exact details of the incident but in some cases you need to stand and fight. I will teach my son that you do not pick fights but you certainly end them.

You know what's hilarious? All the hypocrites that were so quick to discount my posting of this rumor last week that are now incredibly confident that the victim was picking a fight w/ Maresh, and somehow deserved it. What happened to the 'let the facts come out' line from last friday? It would be comical if it wasn't so embarassing to the Gophers football program. WCCO is reporting the victim was a season ticket holder. I guess we all better watch what we say around here or we'll deserve a beat down according to some on these boards.

Remember my eye-witness? These news accounts back it up completely. The victim was alone and Maresh was with a group. That's a 'tough guy' defending his rep? Sounds like a coward trying to impress his buddies to me. That's what you teach your kids? If you're in a group it's OK to pound a loner who insults?

To tie this back to football, I think all these incidents affect the product on the field. Believe me, Brewster is spending valuable time on this (as are the players) that could be better spent getting ready for Iowa. These players need to realize they live under a spotlight and learn to bite their toungues and walk-away.

The point is that this is a minor thing. Sam should have showed enough restraint to not have been involved. But he didn't. So what does that really mean? He's not a thug. He's just a kid who made a mistake. And a small one at that. big whoopdee-doo.

Hey Bronco: I hate to go grammar police on your Juco-educated brain, but it would be "whomever punched him." Further, Maresh needs to shut his mouth, tuck his beer muscles away and leave the situation. It doesn't take a Nuclear Physicist....

You're wrong, chief. "Whoever" is the appropriate usage there.

http://web.ku.edu/~edit/whom.html

Furthermore, "Nuclear Physicist" should not be capitalized. Only proper nouns get the first letter capitalized. Unless you're speaking German, which you weren't.

Thanks for your time.

I assume this incident occurred after the Tinsley/McKinley incident and also all the hoops downers. If so, I'd be pi$$ed if I were Brewster. I would expect that Brewster has looked at each of his players right in the eye and told them to stay away from potential trouble and make good decisions. Does everyone understand??

Guilty or not, fair or unfair, Sam Maresh has put another bad mark against the program and also Brewster. What does it take for these guys to understand the harm they are doing to the program? Small mistake or big one Schnoodler, this is a bump. No I wasn't there but Maresh being there and likely let the program down. More negative pub is not what the UM needs.

Maresh was supposed to be Brewster's poster child and carry the UM flag into TCF on opening day. Brewster has continually propped the kid up and this is how he shows his appreciation?

Had he been a Badger, he would have been suspended immediately and the coach and AD would have no discretion, regardless of whether they were "up to speed."

Had he been a Badger, he would have been suspended immediately and the coach and AD would have no discretion, regardless of whether they were "up to speed."

Do you remember the incident or incidents, that brought about this policy?

Do you remember the incident or incidents, that brought about this policy?

It was about five years ago, but I don't remember the incidents that led to it. The Wisconsin Athletic Board is always chirping that they don't have enough oversight. They still have more than most major universities.

If Maresh is gone I am sure he would be welcome at NDSU. We have had so many injuries this year that our 2nd string running back moved to line backer for a game. Mike is Sam's bro, who played at NDSU, so I am sure he put in the good word.

This is just a preview of what he is going to be doing against Iowa on the football field for the next four years. We'll need more than one ambulance on stand-by.

Top Bottom