Sally's Property Redevelopment

SamSquatch

Reaction score
Hi all -

I just want to make this group aware of a likely redevelopment of the current site of Sally's. The space would be bulldozed to build high-end student apartments. The outside space would no longer exist:

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/public/@cped/documents/webcontent/wcms1p-104917.pdf
http://finance-commerce.com/2013/03/more-student-units-proposed-near-u-of-m-campus/

Sally's is a classic establishment and a place that really adds to Stadium Village's soul. While Sally's is likely to be a tenant in the first floor retail space created, it would lack the patio area and the original charm. The University is really defining it's character currently with the massive changes such as the Central Corridor and the updating of Dinkytown (House of Hanson, Duffy's Pizza, Podium Guitar shop, etc., are all being lost for additional apartments).

I wouldn't consider myself one to "stand in the way of progress", but I think there are tangential benefits to keeping anchors that help define University areas - primarily alumni relations. I was hoping something like a Sally's or a Town Hall would move into the Station 19 space. Instead we got BWW. As it stands, I think this current proposal is a poor move and an unfortunate one for alumni.

I thought this might be of interest to other season ticket holders. It goes before the Minneapolis City Planning Commission tonight, and I have written an email expressing my thoughts. I would encourage you to write as well. If there are others that feel differently, I completely understand that. Just sharing.

Hi all -

I just want to make this group aware of a likely redevelopment of the current site of Sally's. The space would be bulldozed to build high-end student apartments. The outside space would no longer exist:

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/public/@cped/documents/webcontent/wcms1p-104917.pdf
http://finance-commerce.com/2013/03/more-student-units-proposed-near-u-of-m-campus/

Sally's is a classic establishment and a place that really adds to Stadium Village's soul. While Sally's is likely to be a tenant in the first floor retail space created, it would lack the patio area and the original charm. The University is really defining it's character currently with the massive changes such as the Central Corridor and the updating of Dinkytown (House of Hanson, Duffy's Pizza, Podium Guitar shop, etc., are all being lost for additional apartments).

I wouldn't consider myself one to "stand in the way of progress", but I think there are tangential benefits to keeping anchors that help define University areas - primarily alumni relations. I was hoping something like a Sally's or a Town Hall would move into the Station 19 space. Instead we got BWW. As it stands, I think this current proposal is a poor move and an unfortunate one for alumni.

I thought this might be of interest to other season ticket holders. It goes before the Minneapolis City Planning Commission tonight, and I have written an email expressing my thoughts. I would encourage you to write as well. If there are others that feel differently, I completely understand that. Just sharing.

The progress planned is bad, really bad. Say goodbye to the Big Ten while we are at it if things go as planned. More student housing is not needed...at least there.

I admit, I am absolutely bummed that the Sally's as I know it won't be there anymore. It probably has something to do with it making me feel old, it's like they are bulldozing all of my 1/2 memories and biggest regrets.

I feel you about the University losing some of its charm. It's hard for me to have an opinion because I'm sure the class of 2020 will look at the new things with the same nostalgia as I looked at Sally's, but still.

The progress planned is bad, really bad. Say goodbye to the Big Ten while we are at it if things go as planned. More student housing is not needed...at least there.

The U wants to get some money from the off campus housing. Instead of the money going to the people who own the rental properties, more and more of that money is going to be funneled into the U.

Hmm. Well the gentrification of campus is marching forward. It would suck to lose Sally's since we really have few if any places on campus to go pre-game.

As long as Sally's gets to be the first floor tenant in the new building, I don't have a problem with it at all. More students living in Stadium Village is a good thing, Sally's getting a fresh building is a good thing, and if outdoor space is what we're upset about losing, go to Stub and Herbs.

The worst part about some of these luxury housing developments, is a lot of them are getting trashed by the students that live there. Some of them are an eyesore from an architecture standpoint. But the worst part about it, is students will feel the need to live in these places, and banks will have no problem handing out student loans if their parents can't afford to pay for their housing. That will only increase the student loan bubble this country already has. I suppose progress is inevitable, but altering/eliminating foundations of the campus culture so a few real estate companies can rake in money from a bunch of students is unfortunate.

Man. I'm not sure what to think. I am torn. I have a lot of memories from college at Sally's and other places in that area. But, getting more student housing in that area isn't all that bad either, meaning more student apartments. Like others, Sally's is an institution as it currently is, at least for myself. So, as long as they are still a 1st floor tenant, I guess I would probably be ok with it.

I really have no idea what to think. I'll have to think about this for a while.

The U wants to get some money from the off campus housing. Instead of the money going to the people who own the rental properties, more and more of that money is going to be funneled into the U.

Like the whopping $16 k from the beer sales? I get the U wanting more money, but they should not be trusted to successfully pull this off. Wait for Surely to get their wonderland completed and build there. Leave the business owners alone.

Man. I'm not sure what to think. I am torn. I have a lot of memories from college at Sally's and other places in that area. But, getting more student housing in that area isn't all that bad either, meaning more student apartments. Like others, Sally's is an institution as it currently is, at least for myself. So, as long as they are still a 1st floor tenant, I guess I would probably be ok with it.

I really have no idea what to think. I'll have to think about this for a while.

There is already plenty of additional housing going in/has been built in Stadium Village. The risk here is that with all of these changes the U of M campus loses any character that it had to begin with whether it is Stadium Village or Dinkytown. Every new building just seems to be making campus feel that much more generic.

The preliminary floor plans at least include a courtyard/patio for one of the restaurant tenants (I'm would hope Sally's would get first crack at it). However, it's surrounded on three sides by a 6-level structure, and is open only on the north side. It will be a dark, cold, depressing place to sit and have a beer.

The last thing campus needs is more "high end" student apartments. They are sprouting up everywhere. I have no idea how students can afford these (yes, I understand they just throw more debt on the students loans, but c'mon).

Sally's as-is is an institution, and I will be very sad to see it replicated into a new, generic space. It was by far our favorite hang out during and after my time at the U. Guess I'm now officially an old-timer, where I can say, "back in my day..."

I am sure the younger students would make new memories at Sally's. Perhaps it is the right way to go. That said, when I think about top establishment's at other campuses, their is usually some history behind them. Stub & Herbs is still an option for us, but there is a saturation point and I think more outdoor space is better. There is also a glut of other apartment housing going up at the University right now. Just for some additional context (I know the F&C article requires a password):

"Finance & Commerce is tracking a total 1,587 that are either proposed or under construction near the campus.

The site is directly across the street from the Station on Washington, a 97-unit project under construction at 630 Washington Ave SE...CPM is also building the Elysian a 57-unit project at 401 8th Ave SE."

The proposed Sally's building is a 6-story structure.

If they want to bulldoze Al's they'll have to take me with it.

Al's Breakfast, Vescios, Stub & Herbs, and McDonalds are institutions in Dinkytown and Stadium Village. Sally's is a Johnny-come-lately that will be easily replaced.

Al's Breakfast, Vescios, Stub & Herbs, and McDonalds are institutions in Dinkytown and Stadium Village. Sally's is a Johnny-come-lately that will be easily replaced.

Yes, nothing says campus institution and irreplaceable like McDonald's. :pig:

Yes, nothing says campus institution and irreplaceable like McDonald's. :pig:

Hey, McDonald's has been in Dinkytown for almost 50 years. EVERY student who has attended the U during that period has eaten there at one time or another. It won't be long before it is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. Just try to get rid of it then.

Sally's will be replaced by another college bar somewhere with inexperienced but attractive waitresses and the smell of stale beer on the air.

Sally's will be replaced by another college bar somewhere with inexperienced but attractive waitresses and the smell of stale beer on the air.

So you are saying the college bar that replaces Sally's will provide exactly the same experience for U students that has been provided at every other college in the world since they invented colleges and beer?

So you are saying the college bar that replaces Sally's will provide exactly the same experience for U students that has been provided at every other college in the world since they invented colleges and beer?

Yep, it won't provide that unique experience that can only be found at the McDonald's.

Yep, it won't provide that unique experience that can only be found at the McDonald's.

I wouldn't describe eating at the Dinkytown McDonald's as being the same as eating at any other McDonald's in the world.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tweets

Mar 2 Shambles Shambles ‏@shelbiherzog

@DinkytownMcDs for dinner, fool. 
Retweeted by Dinkytown McDonalds
Expand
Feb 26 Grumpy Cat Grumpy Cat ‏@GrumppyyCat

Currently whale watching outside of McDonalds.
Expand
Feb 27 To the teens that... To the teens that... ‏@ToTheTeensThat

me when i go to mcdonalds  pic.twitter.com/KGciAMbs8I
View photo
Feb 27 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

Why you're not supposed to feed animals McDonalds at the Zoo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F99faLJYpo8
View media

@aylapalooza it was a #McLie.
View conversation

"Alright, now is the time for the illustrious 4 point shot. It alluded us for generations, but tonight is the night!" #IndianaHuddle
Expand

The whole basketball team ate their pregame meal at @DinkytownMcDs! #dinnerofchampions #knockonwood
Expand
Feb 24 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

@noahnagle you spelled Goldy wrong. Also he's a national champ... for more info on fellatio please consult Duluth! pic.twitter.com/yF2akkWyDW
View photo
Jul 28 Amy Knutson Amy Knutson ‏@amyknut

@Britta16 @emily7m @MissHalleyG You will not be disappointed. cc: @DinkytownMcDs
Expand
Jul 27 NST NST ‏@NikolSarTarm

.@natethao write a song about it Jonny Tsunami pic.twitter.com/tdXAVIREq3
View photo

.@natethao *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# off. @DinkytownMcDs is ranked 17th on #urbanspoon
View conversation

Well we honestly can't say that we are looking forward to all the Duluthians who will inevitably be coming in for a high class meal tonight.
Expand
Feb 22 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

We have officially reached 666 followers... #creepy pic.twitter.com/IAHhq9iDKD
View photo
Feb 22 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

Same! RT @Rach_Starshine: Never eating Macdons again. @DinkytownMcDs
View conversation
Feb 9 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

We got trouble.. pic.twitter.com/DvpvpVnq
View photo
Feb 8 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

@EmileeWen its only two dollars for a limited time only! Bring in seven friends and also order an apple pie!
View conversation
Jan 28 Jessie Louise Jessie Louise ‏@xJeSSiLox

I should go to @DinkytownMcDs for breakfast more often #hellofellas #sportsguys
Expand
Jan 26 Razyeeh Razyeeh ‏@rohoxbaby

#MentionAGorgeousFollower Dinkytown McDonalds @DinkytownMcDs
Expand
Jan 17 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

Who's stopping in for a quick bite before the game? Tweet us your McDonalds experience today for a chance to win you & 4 friends McFluries!
Expand
Jan 15 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

@BuckshotBrutus *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# OFF EARL. WE DON'T TAKE *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# FROM OUR CUSTOMERS! WE AIM TO FEED, NOT TO PLEASE! #MANICMONDAY
View conversation
Jan 12 CGII CGII ‏@CG_GetEm

@DinkytownMcDs is handling out free McFlurry's tonight.... Must be because I'm frequent customer
Expand
Jan 4 Joe Chu Joe Chu ‏@joechu9

I need to stop spending so much dumb money on food @DinkytownMcDs
Expand
Jan 1 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

Now serving Bloody Marys
Expand
Dec 31 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

Section 207 just won free McDs pic.twitter.com/4r54ix5k
View photo
Dec 29 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

Where the f*** is Goldy?
Expand

"Guns up?!?" #seceed
Expand

So would that have been a first down?
Expand

4th and 49. Bold Strategy. We'll see how that pans out for the gophers.
Expand
Dec 9 Anthony Nixon Anthony Nixon ‏@ajn0592

Last night, @TheCodyFoster, @Soltrain_ and I experienced something truly magical. @DinkytownMcDs at closing time. Y'all should be jealous.
Expand
Dec 20 Matthew Fobbe Matthew Fobbe ‏@MJFobbe

. @DinkytownMcDs your establishment smells like type 2 diabetes.
Expand
Nov 29 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

And on Wednesdays... We raise the dollar menu to $1.49 at 11PM!
Expand
Nov 29 Kalid Hussein Kalid Hussein ‏@kalidhussein

If the guy from #cashcab gets carjacked, is the thief the new host by default? That's how it should work.
Expand
Nov 26 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

@asherroth Make sure to stop by Dinkytown McDonalds for good hangs, and cheap eats! #thepartyneverstops
View conversation
Nov 17 Lex Luthor Lex Luthor ‏@CreepGod

S/o to @DinkytownMcDs for havin decent food and tons of bad bitches
Expand
Nov 17 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

@xJeSSiLox @ReesiesPiecies stop on in! Breakfast runs until 10:30!
View conversation
Nov 17 Jessie Louise Jessie Louise ‏@xJeSSiLox

Up so late you can get McDonalds breakfast as eat in #girlsnight @ReesiesPiecies
Expand

To each his own. RT @KordyNelson87: @DinkytownMcDs Nothing is really free. Who do I have to aggressively hug?
View conversation

@andyc1919 not a whole lot man, we're just chilling, waiting for more freshmen to come hang out at the moment. What about you?
View conversation

You may mean "*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ED up!" As in, "Im really *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ed up" or "I cant believe its not butter. This is really *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ed up". RT @lizcokeing: *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# up
View conversation

RT for a chance to win a month of free McChickens! Winner will be announced tomorrow at noon.
Expand

Who wants free food tonight?
Expand
Nov 15 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

U B N-joy-in that #VIPLounge? RT @HLJenkinz: Upstairs Swaggin It @DinkytownMcDs
View conversation

SOME QUESTIONS ARE BEST LEFT UNANSWERED!!!! RT @ALarsonxo: WHY ARE THERE SO MANY RATCHETS AT @DinkytownMcDs
View conversation
Oct 14 AndreaLarson AndreaLarson ‏@ALarsonxo

Watch out for the slippery slope of Morbid Obesity! RT @BritttanyH_: Sooo I had my first Big Mac at @DinkytownMcDs this weekend #lifechanger
View conversation

We are only in the business of *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing our customers! :) RT @elliejmarran: GO *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# YOURSELF ordered an O.J. at the d-thru & NEVER GOT IT
View conversation

STOP YOUR LIES!!! THERE IS NO POWER OUTAGE RIGHT NOW! RT @nolanrad: how can I when theres a power outage in dinkytown right now?
View conversation
Oct 18 ♕Harry Larry Jenkinz ♕Harry Larry Jenkinz ‏@HLJenkinz

To add to that, their C's get degrees but my C's get me a job at @DinkytownMcDs
Expand

"There were horses, a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident."
Expand
Nov 1 Emily Emily ‏@xxemro

Saw some guy steal while @ CVS, guy turned wrong way down 4th St., saw a fight w/ knives in @DinkytownMcDs parking lot. @GopherProblems
Expand
Nov 12 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

Did you forget gloves this morning? Dont worry - our coffee is scalding hot! Grab a cup of joe to keep your hands warm on your way to class!
Expand

@DinkytownMcDs... The warmest pitstop in dinkytown.
Expand

RT @D_Walle: Yay first snow! #not http://twitter.com/D_Walle/status/268000733297799169/photo/1pic.twitter.com/lseyjApT
View conversation

This snow is Master Ronald's way of bringing justice to all bikers on campus. #wipeout
Expand

@MaryCarlson43 perscribe yourself a morning pick-me-up with either a Frappe or McFlurry! Remember, the breakfast menu ends at 10:30!
View conversation
Nov 12 Travis Haus Travis Haus ‏@THaus11

Saw 5 people fall on their bikes and its not even 9 yet #snow
from Minneapolis, MN
Nov 7 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

Happy Birthday @goldengopherqb5!
Expand

Please bring unwanted political yardsigns to @DinkytownMcDs today! We'll be collecting them til 3AM! Spread the word! #reducereuserecycle
Expand

Your microwave won't turn on to heat up your standard dinner pizza rolls and ramen noodles? Stop by @DinkytownMcDs to grab a McChicken!
Expand

Let's be real.. This isn't the first time Dinkytown has been blacked out on a Tuesday... RT @ChrYahnke: #DinkyOutage2012
View conversation
Nov 7 Christopher Yahnke Christopher Yahnke ‏@ChrYahnke

@DinkytownMcDs *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# i wish i woulda known bout this account when all hell broke loose here few weeks ago. Fighting/ hella cops n *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# lmao!
View conversation

All of Dinkytown Blacked out on a Tuesday? #impressive
Expand

#BLACKOUT RT @flavia_wilson: @DinkytownMcDs it's out in 412 and the rest of the blocks all the way to 8th street!
View conversation

Power's out elsewhere in Dinkytown??? Can anyone confirm?
Expand
Nov 5 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

Remember, remember. The fifth of November. pic.twitter.com/gf5s4aC4
View photo
Nov 5 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

Only an hour left of the breakfast menu! Last chances to get your McGriddle and McHashbrowns!!! Don't worry, our McCoffee is served all day!
Expand
Nov 1 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

Upstairs Swaggin It @DinkytownMcDs
Expand
Oct 10 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

We get that a lot! You can come inside of me until 3AM tonight (for food)! RT @KordyNelson87: @DinkytownMcDs I need you in me right now
Oct 10 Kory Kory ‏@KordyNelson87

@DinkytownMcDs I need you in me right now
Expand
Oct 10 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

RT @bri6mafia: But seriously, why doesn't McDonald's deliver?
View conversation
Oct 9 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

AND THE WINNERS ARE... #3 Gymnastics Club. 2. Legends of the Wild West 1. Legends Never Die
Expand
Oct 9 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

Why do all these shirts read "DTF"? Deez Terrible Fries are offended. pic.twitter.com/LwAesTR3
View photo
Oct 6 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

NOW SERVING HOT CHOCOLATE... OR A WARM SUBSTANCE VERY SIMILAR TO IT.
Expand
Sep 23 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

Swallows sadness.
Expand
Sep 22 Emily Emily ‏@xxemro

People are *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing the the @DinkytownMcDs bathroom. Lololololol #omg #mylifeisajoke @hannashaffer
Expand
Sep 22 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

Why is the upper floor of @DinkytownMcDs always blocked off? WHAT ARE THEY DOING UP THERE THAT SO SECRET. I demand answers.
Expand
Sep 20 Kate Maertens Kate Maertens ‏@KateMaertens

@kryschalicious @DinkytownMcDs maybe Ronald lives up there? Employee lounge? a couple ideas that came to mind. #whoknows #yougotmewondering
View conversation
Sep 22 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

This is some pretty *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing intense wind. Drive-thru orders be flyin' all over.
Expand
Sep 17 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

@KATH_KITTRIDGE did you?
View conversation
Sep 14 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

BLACK OUT THURSDAYS. WAKE UP FRIDAY'S. THERE ARE TOO MANY PPL HERE. SO MANY FOR BREAKFAST.
Expand
Sep 9 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

Please heed the giant *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing fence pic.twitter.com/4IlqdjRg
View photo

Currently singing "I want it that way" outside... pic.twitter.com/KkEZFJNU
View photo

Searching for signs of life after the win? Stop in to hang out with the regular 8 oclock crew. Homeless Hank and the geek squad are all here
Expand
Sep 8 Dinkytown McDonalds Dinkytown McDonalds ‏@DinkytownMcDs

No one. RT @UMDBulldogs: Whose coming to cheer on the Dogs' tomorrow at 6pm at Malosky Stadium!? #UMDFootball
View conversation

#VICTORY!!! #UNDEFEATED pic.twitter.com/Xg9e9beo
View photo

Our second favorite ginger... #gophergameday pic.twitter.com/AZXIYGJF
View photo

Pretty sure @ChelseaRegan11 tweeted that 13 mins before... #beoriginal RT @TheDrunkGopher: 50 shades of Marquis Gray
View conversation
Sep 8 Chelsea Regan Chelsea Regan ‏@ChelseaRegan11

50 shades of Marquis Gray #GopherGameDay
Expand

There is already plenty of additional housing going in/has been built in Stadium Village. The risk here is that with all of these changes the U of M campus loses any character that it had to begin with whether it is Stadium Village or Dinkytown. Every new building just seems to be making campus feel that much more generic.

Yes, you are right. I had to think about it a little. It has been almost 5 years since I graduated from the U so I tend to forget things a little. :)

I try to take some time to see how they are 'developing' Stadium Village or Dinkytown when I am down at games, but I don't get to take as much time as I would like. Living in West Central MN now, I have to rely on people like yourself Gopherdrummer for valued opinions on those areas of campus now as I don't get down as much as I would like.

Yep. Sally's is nothing special, just a typical college campus bar. Pretty solid waffle fries too.

This is a private development. This will not be owned by the U

As much as I hate to see Sally's go, this is much needed. The buildings they are tearing down are really not that old, and of no historic value. It appears Sally's will have the main space on the 1st floor which is much bigger than their current space. The patio will be about the same size as their current one. (they only use the parking lot a handful of times a year) We have to remember that the U is in the middle of a very large metro. Density is a necessity. The location right near a LRT line makes this a prime spot for greater density.

And to the comment regarding House of Hanson, Podium and Duffy's. Their owners SOLD that land. And those structures are only a few decades old and bring nothing historic to Dinkytown. That complex will also be a great addition. The old store fronts on 4th and 14th will remain the same. Al's will not be touched.

And regards to complaints about high-end apartments. The more of these they build, they more competition that is brought on those complexes that are 5,10,15 years old. That will make them charge a more reasonable price. So it all works out. Supply and demand at play here. And again, we need more density in the core. Even surrounding our campus.

A friend of mine and I were discussing all these new developments. Since I started at the U in '09, I think at least 16 of these new apartments (within 1/2 mile of campus) have been either built or are currently under construction. That is a large influx of beds, could be up to a few thousand new people close to campus. At some point, the market will dry up, but it doesn't seem to be losing momentum.

I help teach a course at the U, and the instructor went to Ohio State for undergrad and is a big football guy. One of the main differences he pointed out between the U and Ohio State is the amount of dorms. OSU has tons while the U lacks. Of these 16 new developments, only 1 of them is a dorm.

As much as I hate to see Sally's go, this is much needed. The buildings they are tearing down are really not that old, and of no historic value. It appears Sally's will have the main space on the 1st floor which is much bigger than their current space. The patio will be about the same size as their current one. (they only use the parking lot a handful of times a year) We have to remember that the U is in the middle of a very large metro. Density is a necessity. The location right near a LRT line makes this a prime spot for greater density.

And to the comment regarding House of Hanson, Podium and Duffy's. Their owners SOLD that land. And those structures are only a few decades old and bring nothing historic to Dinkytown. That complex will also be a great addition. The old store fronts on 4th and 14th will remain the same. Al's will not be touched.

And regards to complaints about high-end apartments. The more of these they build, they more competition that is brought on those complexes that are 5,10,15 years old. That will make them charge a more reasonable price. So it all works out. Supply and demand at play here. And again, we need more density in the core. Even surrounding our campus.

The idea is to get rid of just about everything near Sally's. All new all the time. The whole line of businesses surrounding the Big Ten would be lost as well. It never just stops here in Mpls. Must build more condos (or whatever they are calling them) all of the time. Must get rid of anything that doesn't look just like everything else.. Not a fan of this line of thinking at all.

The idea is to get rid of just about everything near Sally's. All new all the time. The whole line of businesses surrounding the Big Ten would be lost as well. It never just stops here in Mpls. Must build more condos (or whatever they are calling them) all of the time. Must get rid of anything that doesn't look just like everything else.. Not a fan of this line of thinking at all.

There are no current plans to get rid of everything near Sally's. Just the building that houses Sally's and Gold Country. The entire rest of the block will remain. There will be plenty of charm and character in Stadium Village and Dinkytown. The historic stuff will remain. The run down and crappy buildings that would cost more to repair, and the surface parking will be the ones where projects will be developed.

Historic is a relative term. Old is not historic. Run down is not historic.

Agree with the posters who aren't too concerned about this. I hope at some point in the future I'll be pining for the outdoor pregame space, but as it stands now there's plenty of room at Stub and Herbs (unfortunately) and Sally's never did it for me as a bar. I spent 5+ years living around campus and I think I only went there once before I started coming back to campus for football games. And that one time was for lunch with my parents. I've got no problem with Sally's, but it's pretty much the definition of a generic college bar.

Top Bottom