Rutgers Hiring Harasymiak

Yea, but they play OSU, MSU, PSU and Michigan every year. Ask Tom Allen how easy it is to maintain success against that group. Schiano is very good but hard to be better than 7 - 5 or 8 - 4 in a good year.
And Maryland, who also has similar things going for it and similar potential in my opinion.

I wonder what the pay difference is. Didn't P.J. just get a bunch of extra money for assistants?

Yea, but they play OSU, MSU, PSU and Michigan every year. Ask Tom Allen how easy it is to maintain success against that group. Schiano is very good but hard to be better than 7 - 5 or 8 - 4 in a good year.
Just FYI Michigan state is 26-26 in conference the last 6 years
Indiana is 1-4 vs Michigan state since hiring Tom Allen….meaning if Michigan state didn’t get to play Indiana they are an under .500 big ten team the past 6 years.
Michigan state doesn’t win nearly as many games if they play in the west. It is much easier to win 7-8 games playing in the east than the west (thought it is harder to win 10-11 games)

With Tom Allen:
Indiana is 1-3 vs Purdue
3-2 Vs Maryland
4-1 vs Rutgers
1-1 vs wisconsin
0-2 vs Iowa
0-2 vs minnesota

this is why he struggles to do much better than 6-7 wins. Not because he goes 0-2 against Michigan and Ohio state every year

I think this is a big loss but not unrecoverable

I don’t really understand his career trajectory and don’t get what he is trying to do?

he was a head coach at Maine and having success? It seems like he wants to be a big ten head coach….I would think a more logical order would’ve been:
Maine HC> mid major HC > major HC

He seems to be going
Maine HC > Minnesota position coach > Rutgers DC > either a better DC job then head coach or directly to head coach from Rutgers DC

it seems like he could’ve also held out at Maine to get a coordinator job right from Maine if he wanted to.

Maybe he just wants to be a coordinator not a head coach?
Maybe he just didn’t think he could sustain success at Maine?

I have no idea I would be interested to know his plan/aspirations though
No one has had sustained success at Maine. He had a magical run and got out while the getting was good. He's also taking a pay increase at every job so it's a pretty logical progression

Really not hard to understand. Rutgers has everything going now. Only D1 university in a major population center. Just give it time. Certainly more potential than any other 3rd. tier B1G team.
Yeah their recruiting class is really good for this last year four 4 star recruits, and an average ranking of just over 87, 28th overall nationally. That’s pretty damn good for a perennial losing team. I think that with the coaching staff and that type of recruiting they will definitely advance to that upper tier in the East.

No one has had sustained success at Maine. He had a magical run and got out while the getting was good. He's also taking a pay increase at every job so it's a pretty logical progression
I’m not sure he got a big pay increase from Maine to MN

he made less in year 1 at MN than the current Maine coach made

I haven’t found his old Maine salary though

There is something to be said about a young coach wanting to learn from what he perceives as the best. He has head coaching experience, but learning under a winning coach who runs a well oiled machine is something that you can't beat. I have no doubt the 2 years with PJ will help him in all he does from here on out. Time to start paying attention to the PJ coaching tree.

I’m not sure he got a big pay increase from Maine to MN

he made less in year 1 at MN than the current Maine coach made

I haven’t found his old Maine salary though
He made 153K at Maine and 215K at Minnesota

He made 153K at Maine and 215K at Minnesota
That makes a lot of sense then, current Maine head coach makes 245k per year.

but it appears they’ve significantly increased it in the last year to that number. Makes more sense now that I get the whole picture

That makes a lot of sense then, current Maine head coach makes 245k per year.

but it appears they’ve significantly increased it in the last year to that number. Makes more sense now that I get the whole picture
I told you that 2 days ago.

Just pray that Chad Wilt stays.

Top Bottom