Rutgers Hiring Harasymiak

Hiring a Safeties/Special teams guy would be awesome.

I think this is a big loss but not unrecoverable

I don’t really understand his career trajectory and don’t get what he is trying to do?

he was a head coach at Maine and having success? It seems like he wants to be a big ten head coach….I would think a more logical order would’ve been:
Maine HC> mid major HC > major HC

He seems to be going
Maine HC > Minnesota position coach > Rutgers DC > either a better DC job then head coach or directly to head coach from Rutgers DC

it seems like he could’ve also held out at Maine to get a coordinator job right from Maine if he wanted to.

Maybe he just wants to be a coordinator not a head coach?
Maybe he just didn’t think he could sustain success at Maine?

I have no idea I would be interested to know his plan/aspirations though

He wants to be closer to home?

Tough loss, but pretty hard to keep them all. Should be less of a loss now with Rossi getting a few years of seasoning under his belt.

dang it....who was an awesome recruiter!

but with success things like this will happen

Only 35 too. Does a safeties coach for the gophers make more than the head coach for Maine?

Meh, people freaked out when we lost Mo Linguist for recruiting purposes prior to Harasymiak. I'm not too worried about that.
Yeah, coaches leaving for promotions is nothing to worry about. Gets more concerning when guys are making lateral moves.

Make more money at a better job?
Not this move. The one to bring him to MN in the first place

the current Maine head football coach makes more than Harasymiak made in 2019 for Minnesota but less than he made in 2021. I am unsure what Harasymiak’s salary was at Maine

Last edited:

Robb Smith is fired again and replaced by a position coach from Minnesota! Schiano saw how well it worked here, so he’s trying to catch some of that for himself.

Robb Smith is the DC at Duke now.

Robb Smith is fired again and replaced by a position coach from Minnesota! Schiano saw how well it worked here, so he’s trying to catch some of that for himself.

Robb Smith is the DC at Duke now.
Looks like Duke DC is in the cards for some Gopher position coach in two years!

A really great coach. Im amazed he stuck around as long as he did.

Rutgers football though? Poor guy.

Meh, people freaked out when we lost Mo Linguist for recruiting purposes prior to Harasymiak. I'm not too worried about that.
Yes and no. Tough on everyone. Fleck and staff need to start over as to relationships. Have to do this every time a coach leaves. Hopefully they'll find someone to replace him of his caliber soon.

Having said that. Nature of the business.

I think this is a big loss but not unrecoverable

I don’t really understand his career trajectory and don’t get what he is trying to do?

he was a head coach at Maine and having success? It seems like he wants to be a big ten head coach….I would think a more logical order would’ve been:
Maine HC> mid major HC > major HC

He seems to be going
Maine HC > Minnesota position coach > Rutgers DC > either a better DC job then head coach or directly to head coach from Rutgers DC

it seems like he could’ve also held out at Maine to get a coordinator job right from Maine if he wanted to.

Maybe he just wants to be a coordinator not a head coach?
Maybe he just didn’t think he could sustain success at Maine?

I have no idea I would be interested to know his plan/aspirations though

Bummer this dude is leaving. From everything in the press, it sounds like he was great all-around

In terms of career trajectory, who knows what the plan was. Maybe he became a Head Coach and decided that was not the role for him. Or maybe a position came open where he got to work with people he liked/trusted. I honestly believe most coaches take the best position (at the moment) for them. I don't think they are trying to climb the ladder as much as most people think

PJ had high aspirations from day 1. I think a lot of these dudes try to find good landing spots regardless of title

It’s impressive the level of success the program has experienced the last few years despite head scratching hires/retains at each coordinator position.
Good point. There have been sub par coordinators at times, but the overall team has been very impressive in comparison to the norm of the last 40 years.

Really not hard to understand. Rutgers has everything going now. Only D1 university in a major population center. Just give it time. Certainly more potential than any other 3rd. tier B1G team.

Really not hard to understand. Rutgers has everything going now. Only D1 university in a major population center. Just give it time. Certainly more potential than any other 3rd. tier B1G team.
Yea, but they play OSU, MSU, PSU and Michigan every year. Ask Tom Allen how easy it is to maintain success against that group. Schiano is very good but hard to be better than 7 - 5 or 8 - 4 in a good year.

It's a promotion for him and he's probably making more money. We thought it was wild when he left a playoff-level FCS head coaching job to be a position coach here but the cold fact was that it was a big $$$ raise. Now he's likely getting another one. Secure the 💰

He’s a hell of a coach and I bet his defense at Rutgers gets really good. He’ll be a group of 5 or Power 5 head coach in 5 years.

So this season...
We face our former head coach (Kill), former OC (Sanford), and former safeties coach (Harasymiak).
Any others want to enter the ring?

Top Bottom