Rutgers appears to be on verge of hiring Jerry Kill as offensive coordinator

Things that amaze me:
1. Rutgers would want Kill as an OC.
2. Kill would want to be OC at Rutgers.
3. People think Kill would have handled the Gangbang 10 situation better than Claeys.
4. Some people think Jerry would have stopped the incident from happening.
5. Last and perhaps most ridiculous, people here seem to believe the trope that Rebecca Kill controls Jerry's every action.

Preach! So true.

New Year's Prediction:

Kill offensive coordinator

Claeys defensive coordinator

Gophers 2 -10

Happy New Year

So after many a RUTM are they going to fashion some t-shirts that say "The Jerry Shore"

-I don't know what to make of your comment Sportsfan24 but I'll take your word for it. Ol Jerry is not as folksy as he seemed. There is always perception and reality and perspective.
-I think Jerry getting back into coaching in some way makes the U an even more toxic job than it currently is. As I said before Kill clearly had issues with Kaler and vice versa. A year later and he's back in coaching. Some will look at the President and AD situation and it's going to be a tough sell. Sorry but I think that's probably true. A reputation is being built.

-I think Jerry getting back into coaching in some way makes the U an even more toxic job than it currently is. As I said before Kill clearly had issues with Kaler and vice versa.

Was it the multiple contract extensions/raises, the new football facilities, an assistant coach salary pool ranked top 6 in the Big Ten or standing by him during his health issues that did the most damage?

Why bring in someone who spend more lobbying for your job than coaching.

I can see ole Jer now in the AD, President.....both office. We just haven't done a good job recruiting......before I got here of course. I would never say nothing bad about Coach Ash behind his back but he can't coach. Should you decide to go in a different direction just remember I won every where I been....say what? I never stayed long enough to coach players I recruited? Watch out now I feel like I'm gonna faint![emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said. I always liked Kill and I think he's a very good coach, but this move makes me question his authenticity a bit. I get that if you're coaching at a high level you have to create a little bit of an identity that gives you a brand, but maybe (even in my 60s) I am naive enough to think that the image matched the man in this case.

Kill is a guy that likely plays full contact tiddly-winks. Big-time competitor who got to where he is today by using every talent that he has. I wish him well, but that whole tear-filled retirement speech rings a bit more hollow for me today.

PE, I think you can quit blaming Kaler for everything now. Kill had--and still has--some big-time health problems. It wasn't Kaler who told him to work 16-hour days and gain a bunch of weight. I imagine you wonder how Kaler got back to Minnesota so quickly after driving that truck through the Christmas market in Berlin. I'm no fan of Kaler. I've seen him present at the Legislature and he doesn't radiate that "I'm a college president" quality. Neither did Bruininks. Yudof did, for what it's worth. Higher education is fraught with challenges these days and I don't know if Kaler is up to righting a lot of the things that are plaguing the U. What I do know is that his plate is full and he's doing his best on a number of fronts. But again, I don't know if that will be good enough.

-I don't know what to make of your comment Sportsfan24 but I'll take your word for it. Ol Jerry is not as folksy as he seemed. There is always perception and reality and perspective.
-I think Jerry getting back into coaching in some way makes the U an even more toxic job than it currently is. As I said before Kill clearly had issues with Kaler and vice versa. A year later and he's back in coaching. Some will look at the President and AD situation and it's going to be a tough sell. Sorry but I think that's probably true. A reputation is being built.

As I have stated many times in GH, the problem is and has been the administration at UMN. The most recent example is Kaler and Coyle actually lying about the decision to suspend players that it was TC decision. TC supporting his team and calling Kaler and Coyle out was exceptional, but he will lose his job over it. But, he will walk away with some money and his credibility, integrity and character intact and go find a DC job somewhere. My opinion (and I know it is not worth much) is that No credible big time coach will take the UMN job due to the word on the street about the administration and the lack of support or leadership from said organization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kill lied about his seizure history when he came here. Even after he had the seizure on the sidelines he denied he had epilepsy. To his much lasting credit, he finally embraced his disease and helped educate the public and help people dealing with it.

He followed that up again and again with ignoring the Doctors’ advice on diet and rest. Only after his last set of seizures when the A.D. and President told him to go up to the clinic in Michigan or lose his job that he took things seriously.

Here he wanted to be the football programs’ overseer, not A.D. They wanted him as an administrator and fund raiser period. So he turned the job down and went to work with his buddy Bill Snyder at Kansas State. There he talked about how good he was feeling and how he was watching out for his health too. That by only worked 10-12 hours a day!

Bet he found out that he wasn’t gonna get Snyder’s job when he retired so he went looking for a coaching job elsewhere.

He found that Rutgers was willing to take a chance on him. But O.C.? Good luck with that. It was his Defense and Special Teams that carried the Offense up here. To be fair he’s starting with a better Q.B. out there and he did have solid Offenses at NIU.

I wish him and his wife all the best. Just hard to see how it’s going to end well.

Well that's about as one sided a perspective as you'll find. And that's fine we are all entitled to our opinions based in what we read and see.

Was it the multiple contract extensions/raises, the new football facilities, an assistant coach salary pool ranked top 6 in the Big Ten or standing by him during his health issues that did the most damage?

Willfully ignorant as always.

Kill wanted UCONN's OC job, per this story on UCONN's late football HC firing, which is led by former U admins David Benedict and Beth Goetz:

A source — not Benedict — said that former Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill was on campus a few weeks back, that Kill wanted the job and Diaco wasn't interested in Kill. Benedict would not comment on this.

Benedict worked at Minnesota when Kill was head coach. He is known as a builder and offensive mind. At 55, he also could have been a mentor. Kill resigned 14 months ago at Minnesota after a number of epileptic seizures, but he has said he has gotten them under control. Last week, he signed a three-year deal as the new Rutgers offensive coordinator.

Yes, Rutgers.

"We're trying to win our conference championship first, and to do that you have to be able to score points," Benedict said. "UConn historically has always played good defense. Whether it's the head coach or his ability to hire a very good offensive coordinator, one of those two things has to happen.

"I am interested in having a head coach where he is overseeing all aspects of the program and not necessarily being focused on one side of the ball."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...-fired-jacobs-column-1227-20161226-story.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom