Rutgers appears to be on verge of hiring Jerry Kill as offensive coordinator

"I want to make it known that my coaching days are over, and I am excited to start this next phase as an administrator for one of the finest athletics departments in the country." - May 17, 2016

I hope it works out for him, but he raved about how well he was doing during the offeseason before he quit just like he'll rave about his health when he meets the Rutgers media. He'll work around the clock to try to get something going in Piscataway.

He's doing it for the kids.

"I want to make it known that my coaching days are over, and I am excited to start this next phase as an administrator for one of the finest athletics departments in the country." - May 17, 2016

I hope it works out for him, but he raved about how well he was doing during the offeseason before he quit just like he'll rave about his health when he meets the Rutgers media. He'll work around the clock to try to get something going in Piscataway.

Kill is a master at slinging BS and people around here ate it up. Not surprised one bit he is getting back into coaching, a little surprised it is at another Big Ten school but hopefully it works out for him his time I guess.

People, people, people. The Jerry quit because he thought he could leverage his "situation" into a AD position. Great head coach, better manipulator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kill's feud with Kaler was obvious if you read between the lines last fall. I was upset when they cut him loose and I know that wasn't a popular opinion here but he seemed to have great leadership skills with the guys and I think Tracy needed to lean on him at times (by his own admission). Kill would have gone to bat for Tracy and the players here and perhaps this scenario doesn't come to the ugly head that it did.

Kaler has proven himself to be a cowardly and ham-fisted president, a flagship case of the plausible deniability school that has infected much of higher education.

Gone to bat...... Jerry would have none no such thing if he thought it would negatively effect him. Claeys has earned all kind of points in my book because he placed his players first. I watched Kill throw an entire class under the bus for an extension.

Claeys deserves our support for telling the truth at the risk of his job.

Ah f--k, just when I thought being a Gopher fan this week couldn't get any worse.

Things that amaze me:
1. Rutgers would want Kill as an OC.
2. Kill would want to be OC at Rutgers.
3. People think Kill would have handled the Gangbang 10 situation better than Claeys.
4. Some people think Jerry would have stopped the incident from happening.
5. Last and perhaps most ridiculous, people here seem to believe the trope that Rebecca Kill controls Jerry's every action.

Things that amaze me:
3. People think Kill would have handled the Gangbang 10 situation better than Claeys.
5. Last and perhaps most ridiculous, people here seem to believe the trope that Rebecca Kill controls Jerry's every action.

clayes.jpg

We know who is behind this all.....

NJ.com: Jerry Kill is a home-run OC hire for Rutgers ... but he comes with a big if

Rutgers is expected to hire as its offensive coordinator a man with more than 20 years of experience and 150 victories as a college football head coach, a respected and nationally known football mind who checks all the boxes and then some.

Jerry Kill isn't just the right person to teach this program how to become competent on offense again. He is a potential sounding board for Chris Ash, a seasoned voice in the Hale Center that Ash can lean on as he tries to lead this program back from a 2-10 season.

He is the perfect hire. If ...

(And, sorry, but it's a pretty big if.)

... he stays healthy.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i..._is_a_home-run_oc_hire_for_rutgers_if_he.html

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I he succeeds it shows further how much they flubbed at QB and WR recruiting at MN.

Things that amaze me:

1. In the story Bleed posted they talk about it being a home run hire, if....To me this seems like a foolish gamble for Rutgers, best case is he proves he is able to stay healthy and bolts for a head job. Worst case he once again proves he can't stay healthy and their gameday operations get screwed up trying to compensate.
2. I agree, can he check his ego at the door and play second fiddle to a head coach? Kill has a big ego and he has been a head coach for pretty much his entire career, this isn't a slam dunk that he can do it. Honestly the only reason I see him taking this job is because he is looking for quick route back to being a head coach again. Guy clearly can't walk away from coaching....kind of sad that he can't put his own health first.
3-4-5 are all part of the man/myth/legend that Kill became here for a lot of people. He could do no wrong in a lot of their eyes so now they have to reconcile how the man who about a year ago claimed his coaching days were over is now suddenly healthy enough to dive back into working at a power 5 program in the same conference of the team he abandoned.

Admittedly, I have Gopher fatigue, but this ticks me off. Too soon - at least let the U players he recruited cycle through. And don't take a B1G job right away. Feels like a slap in the face. (I'm glad he's feeling healthy, I know the U had a shot at him for an administrative job, blah blah blah.) I guess at least it wasn't Wisconsin.

Admittedly, I have Gopher fatigue, but this ticks me off. Too soon - at least let the U players he recruited cycle through. And don't take a B1G job right away. Feels like a slap in the face. (I'm glad he's feeling healthy, I know the U had a shot at him for an administrative job, blah blah blah.) I guess at least it wasn't wisconsin.

fify

When is the last time he called plays? I'm not sure how this makes Rutgers much better.

When is the last time he called plays? I'm not sure how this makes Rutgers much better.

In an official capacity... 1993

1985–1987 Pittsburg State (DC)
1988–1990 Webb City (MO) HS
1991–1993 Pittsburg State (OC)
1994–1998 Saginaw Valley State
1999–2000 Emporia State
2001–2007 Southern Illinois
2008–2010 Northern Illinois
2011–2015 Minnesota
2017-present Rutgers (OC)

Coach Ash.........watch your back.[emoji15]

Coach Ash.........watch your back.[emoji15]

That's my thought too. Why bring in somebody who has proven to be better at your job than you are and not necessarily a perfect fit for the job you're hiring him for?

Admittedly, I have Gopher fatigue, but this ticks me off. Too soon - at least let the U players he recruited cycle through. And don't take a B1G job right away. Feels like a slap in the face. (I'm glad he's feeling healthy, I know the U had a shot at him for an administrative job, blah blah blah.) I guess at least it wasn't Wisconsin.

Trust me. You will never hear about a health problem with him..........unless he wants you to.

That's my thought too. Why bring in somebody who has proven to be better at your job than you are and not necessarily a perfect fit for the job you're hiring him for?

I honestly wonder how the country Jer personality will go over in Jersey....people here ate it up but on the East coast the awe shucks good ole boy routine might not be as well received.

And to your point, what exactly has Kill proven on the offensive side of the ball that would make them think he would be a great fit to dissect opposing defenses and come up with great game plans? We were not exactly an offensive juggernaut under Kill and we certainly didn't bring in a ton of talent at QB and WR under his watch.

Then again we are talking about Rutgers so I guess we shouldn't be too shocked by anything they do there.

Why bring in someone who spend more lobbying for your job than coaching.

I can see ole Jer now in the AD, President.....both office. We just haven't done a good job recruiting......before I got here of course. I would never say nothing bad about Coach Ash behind his back but he can't coach. Should you decide to go in a different direction just remember I won every where I been....say what? I never stayed long enough to coach players I recruited? Watch out now I feel like I'm gonna faint![emoji41]

Why bring in someone who spend more lobbying for your job than coaching.

I can see ole Jer now in the AD, President.....both office. We just haven't done a good job recruiting......before I got here of course. I would never say nothing bad about Coach Ash behind his back but he can't coach. Should you decide to go in a different direction just remember I won every where I been....say what? I never stayed long enough to coach players I recruited? Watch out now I feel like I'm gonna faint![emoji41]

The last line is classic. If only Redd Foxx was alive to play Jerry in the film.

I honestly wonder how the country Jer personality will go over in Jersey....people here ate it up but on the East coast the awe shucks good ole boy routine might not be as well received.

You have not spent a lot of time in New Jersey...it is not the cosmopolitan you seem to think it is...tons of farms in NJ. Jersey is a lot like MN.

Jerry Kill will also be the QB coach at Rutgers, in addition to being OC. Don't think he's coached QBs before, except maybe at Pittsburg St. --Jesse-Howard.

Makes you wonder how much better the offense could have been if not for his health and having to do so much public speaking on behalf of AD and school for fundraising. NIU had really good offense.

And to your point, what exactly has Kill proven on the offensive side of the ball that would make them think he would be a great fit to dissect opposing defenses and come up with great game plans? We were not exactly an offensive juggernaut under Kill and we certainly didn't bring in a ton of talent at QB and WR under his watch.

Then again we are talking about Rutgers so I guess we shouldn't be too shocked by anything they do there.

No one cares is the thing.

New Year's Prediction

Kill offensive coordinator
Claeys defensive coordinator

Gophers 2 - 10

Happy New Year!

Top Bottom