Running Backs

well, just to play devil's advocate:

1st game of the season -
with a rebuilt O-line -
a young QB and a more pass-oriented offense.

put it all together and I might go for experience first - and go with the RB's who are best in pass-blocking and blitz pickup - especially against a 3-3-5 defense that the team is not familiar with.

as the season goes on, I suspect that Taylor and Evans will have their opportunities.

Unless I'm not recalling things correctly, Williams has been the best back in pass protection as long as he's been here. If they're going to throw more, he'll be on the field more. I would doubt there's any push to redshirt Taylor. He'll play. I imagine Fleck learned from Irving and Thomas that there are no guarantees from year to year.

Unless I'm not recalling things correctly, Williams has been the best back in pass protection as long as he's been here. If they're going to throw more, he'll be on the field more. I would doubt there's any push to redshirt Taylor. He'll play. I imagine Fleck learned from Irving and Thomas that there are no guarantees from year to year.
Williams is also the best at taking a pass out of the backfield. And, don’t undervalue knowledge of the system and assignments as a positive quality. An immensely talented newbie who is unclear as to blocking assignment is actually a liability.

Williams is also the best at taking a pass out of the backfield. And, don’t undervalue knowledge of the system and assignments as a positive quality. An immensely talented newbie who is unclear as to blocking assignment is actually a liability.
Exactly, especially as much as we were throwing. My guess is the coaches put the backs out there that they thought gave us the best chance to win.

Taylor got one carry against Nebraska, but it was later in the game, I suspect he’ll have a larger role next week. Not sure why Evans wasn’t used. Tyler and Williams are also good pass catchers. To be fair to Williams and Tyler, I don’t think the line opened things up for them much. I’d like to see Tyler back for kick returns, anyone know if he was back there with Redding?

In the other thread occurring simultaneously:

Yes. As a group (the core OL 5, not tight ends), the average PFF score for pass blocking was 75.9 with 4 of the 5 above 70, while the run blocking average was 59.7 with only 1 of 5 above 70. So, yeah, you are correct in that the run blocking sucked.

Edit add: give some credit to Nebraska's defensive front. They were hard on the Gophs last year too as well as other teams.

I say go with Taylor and Evans with Tyler coming in for a change of pace,

Really wish we’d overreact more to one game. Problem with Gopherhole is so many people wait to make concrete statements.

Coaches aren’t playing to win, Williams can’t be a lead back (despite having been a lead back for this team). Etc.

I say go with Taylor and Evans with Tyler coming in for a change of pace,
I say go with the HC and OC who see the RB group every day in practice and who know how their relative strengths and weakness factor into the week’s game plan. Evans snd Taylor will play plenty.

In the other thread occurring simultaneously:

Yes, you nailed it. The offensive line looked fine in pass protection, but they were mediocre at best in the run game.

I had the impression that Tyler was just one broken tackle away from a house call on a few of his runs.

Something tells me Eastern Michigan is going to see a heavy dose of run, run, run from our offense. The Minnesota staff will want to get the rushing attack up to speed.

Really wish we’d overreact more to one game. Problem with Gopherhole is so many people wait to make concrete statements.

Coaches aren’t playing to win, Williams can’t be a lead back (despite having been a lead back for this team). Etc.

yes, gh is the only place where sports fans overreact 😉

I say go with the HC and OC who see the RB group every day in practice and who know how their relative strengths and weakness factor into the week’s game plan. Evans snd Taylor will play plenty.
nah we've read their recruiting profiles which never overhype a player and list an "NFL comp" like so many of these guys will make it to the league. We know better.

So PJ answered the question about Evans during his press conference. He just got beat out for playing time – at least for the Nebraska season. Now with PJ that could mean that he’s not living his FAMILY responsibilities appropriately v. how he’s practicing but I sure hope the kid gets a chance in the coming weeks.

In fairness- we are on a fan message board. Place would be pretty dead if none of had any hot takes and just preached "patience, trust the coaching staff, etc".

Having said that- I agree with others that Taylor and Evans will be mixed in more and more as the season progresses.

Bryce Williams is a really, really good blocker in pass protection and he catches the ball well coming out of the backfield.

A young QB + a more pass-oriented offense + plus a veteran presence on a younger, less-experienced offense = more playing time for a steady veteran like Bryce.

While, I appreciate your desire to keep the board honest -- Williams can't be a lead back. I don't know what we've seen in five or six years that would lead us to believe he could.

While, I appreciate your desire to keep the board honest -- Williams can't be a lead back. I don't know what we've seen in five or six years that would lead us to believe he could.

He shouldn’t be. But he could be. Especially if it’s 10-12 carries per game as the lead.

In fairness- we are on a fan message board. Place would be pretty dead if none of had any hot takes and just preached "patience, trust the coaching staff, etc".

Having said that- I agree with others that Taylor and Evans will be mixed in more and more as the season progresses.

I picked Taylor as our leading rusher in a preseason poll. So fingers crossed I’m a genius.

I wasn’t basing my preference for Taylor and Evans just on their recruiting kudos. As you may or may not recall they both looked great in the spring game. Nubin’s brother also looked good.

Yes, you nailed it. The offensive line looked fine in pass protection, but they were mediocre at best in the run game.

I had the impression that Tyler was just one broken tackle away from a house call on a few of his runs.

Something tells me Eastern Michigan is going to see a heavy dose of run, run, run from our offense. The Minnesota staff will want to get the rushing attack up to speed.
Totally agree. If AK throws 44 times or whatever it was next week that’s probably not a good sign.

So PJ answered the question about Evans during his press conference. He just got beat out for playing time – at least for the Nebraska season. Now with PJ that could mean that he’s not living his FAMILY responsibilities appropriately v. how he’s practicing but I sure hope the kid gets a chance in the coming weeks.
So is RB going to be your new obsession now that Morgan and MSM are gone :)

Fleck did address it in the press conference. Said they went with experience over youth in game one because they figured the vets would be better equipped to deal with all the unknowns they were dealing with in regards to the Nebraska defense.

Won't be surprised if the young guys get some carries this weekend. Assuming we are able to control the game I would expect to see the coaches really focus in on the run game and work on improving it.

My impressions:
First off, does everyone yet realize just how good Mo Ibrahim was? Haha.
Tyler. He's quick but not a tackle breaker. Will never work as a 3 down back in this RPO offense and should play primarily in spread or trick play formations or maybe returning kicks.
Williams. Bryce has given his soul to this program and always contributed in big games. I have ZERO issues with him playing in spots and seeing him make more winning plays.
Taylor. This guy needs to start. He's quick, he's strong, and he's going to be really good. You don't recruit a kid with this talent to sit him behind average RBs.
Evans. Zach is talented and will get his chances. He has shown he can run between the tackles and Minnesota needs that. Maybe he and Darius will be the "pair" that Coach Mason always wanted.

My question is after watching a History Channel special last night is it "dare-reeh-us" or "dawh-rye-iss?"

Mind blowing implications for the season...

FYI, Alexander the Great chased for 10 years "Dawh-rye-iss" of Persia. I'm crushed my 5th Grade World History teacher did not get this pronunciation correct.

Williams has his role on this team but if he is first or second on our team in carries for the season, I think it'll be a pretty long season.
Agreed here. Will be interesting if staff cuts back his touches.

In 2022, what we saw from Bryce, when spelling Mo, was 51 carries for 249 yards and a 4.9 yard average PLUS 11 receptions for 91 yards, an 8.3 average. In 2021, we saw 37 carries for 186 yards and a 5.0 yard average before he got bit by the injury bug. I for one don't consider these to be insufficient stats. We also saw Bryce as a lead back for several weeks as a freshman, when injuries forced him into play. We saw him run for two long TDs against the Badgers in the year we finally won back to Axe. We saw him break off a 65 year TD in our win over Nebraska last year.

I don't think we need Bryce as a lead back, but he certainly could do it if called upon. More attempts would give him more chances to break the occasional house call. A few home runs would raise his average per carry. We'd probably change our offense a bit if Bryce were the lead; I suspect, more outside runs and more swing passes to the RB. As it is, Bryce is a cagey veteran who knows our system inside out. He makes very few mistakes, picks up blitzes and gives us a swing pass threat that we don't get from some others. He helps us maintain our high 3rd down success rate. These qualities are huge in close games, which are decided by a RB mistake as often as by an explosive RB play.

I do hope to see Taylor and Evans play meaningful roles this season. Both are very athletically gifted. But I am just fine with seeing Bryce play a meaningful role in every game, too. The coaches know what they want in given situations, and that is why you are seeing Bryce on the field. They view him as better and more trustworthy in those situations than any other RB on the roster.

Agreed here. Will be interesting if staff cuts back his touches.
Of course William’s role will diminish as Evans and Taylor learn and earn playing time. It made perfect sense to play Bryce against Nebraska, both as a runner and in pass protection.

When Evans and/or Taylor can pass block and understand defensive looks, they will be on the field.

Top Bottom