Running Backs

In 2022, what we saw from Bryce, when spelling Mo, was 51 carries for 249 yards and a 4.9 yard average PLUS 11 receptions for 91 yards, an 8.3 average. In 2021, we saw 37 carries for 186 yards and a 5.0 yard average before he got bit by the injury bug. I for one don't consider these to be insufficient stats. We also saw Bryce as a lead back for several weeks as a freshman, when injuries forced him into play. We saw him run for two long TDs against the Badgers in the year we finally won back to Axe. We saw him break off a 65 year TD in our win over Nebraska last year.

I don't think we need Bryce as a lead back, but he certainly could do it if called upon. More attempts would give him more chances to break the occasional house call. A few home runs would raise his average per carry. We'd probably change our offense a bit if Bryce were the lead; I suspect, more outside runs and more swing passes to the RB. As it is, Bryce is a cagey veteran who knows our system inside out. He makes very few mistakes, picks up blitzes and gives us a swing pass threat that we don't get from some others. He helps us maintain our high 3rd down success rate. These qualities are huge in close games, which are decided by a RB mistake as often as by an explosive RB play.

I do hope to see Taylor and Evans play meaningful roles this season. Both are very athletically gifted. But I am just fine with seeing Bryce play a meaningful role in every game, too. The coaches know what they want in given situations, and that is why you are seeing Bryce on the field. They view him as better and more trustworthy in those situations than any other RB on the roster.
A better summation of Bryce William’s role and value not to be found.

In 2022, what we saw from Bryce, when spelling Mo, was 51 carries for 249 yards and a 4.9 yard average PLUS 11 receptions for 91 yards, an 8.3 average. In 2021, we saw 37 carries for 186 yards and a 5.0 yard average before he got bit by the injury bug. I for one don't consider these to be insufficient stats. We also saw Bryce as a lead back for several weeks as a freshman, when injuries forced him into play. We saw him run for two long TDs against the Badgers in the year we finally won back to Axe. We saw him break off a 65 year TD in our win over Nebraska last year.

I don't think we need Bryce as a lead back, but he certainly could do it if called upon. More attempts would give him more chances to break the occasional house call. A few home runs would raise his average per carry. We'd probably change our offense a bit if Bryce were the lead; I suspect, more outside runs and more swing passes to the RB. As it is, Bryce is a cagey veteran who knows our system inside out. He makes very few mistakes, picks up blitzes and gives us a swing pass threat that we don't get from some others. He helps us maintain our high 3rd down success rate. These qualities are huge in close games, which are decided by a RB mistake as often as by an explosive RB play.

I do hope to see Taylor and Evans play meaningful roles this season. Both are very athletically gifted. But I am just fine with seeing Bryce play a meaningful role in every game, too. The coaches know what they want in given situations, and that is why you are seeing Bryce on the field. They view him as better and more trustworthy in those situations than any other RB on the roster.

^

Bryce doesn’t have the same vision or ability to break tackles as someone like say, Mo or Shannon pre-injuries, but if he gets loose he has the speed to take it to the house. He could be a nice outlet valve for AK. I think we’re all hopeful one of Taylor, Tyler, Evans is better as a runner but maybe remains to be seen at this point. Sounds like Evans is in the doghouse which is disappointing. Hopefully just a one or two week detention.

^

Bryce doesn’t have the same vision or ability to break tackles as someone like say, Mo or Shannon pre-injuries, but if he gets loose he has the speed to take it to the house. He could be a nice outlet valve for AK. I think we’re all hopeful one of Taylor, Tyler, Evans is better as a runner but maybe remains to be seen at this point. Sounds like Evans is in the doghouse which is disappointing. Hopefully just a one or two week detention.
Evans not necessarily in the doghouse. He is being coached. Playing time is in his hands.

One of Taylor or Evans please. Prefer Taylor.

Unless I'm not recalling things correctly, Williams has been the best back in pass protection as long as he's been here. If they're going to throw more, he'll be on the field more. I would doubt there's any push to redshirt Taylor. He'll play. I imagine Fleck learned from Irving and Thomas that there are no guarantees from year to year.
Overheard this when I was listening in on a football practice happening at Tulane (although it was said in a bit more colorful language...):

"When it comes to RBs, fans like to follow yards-per-game and yards-per-carry; coaches like to know you can pick up the block on pass protection. If you want to get playing time, make sure you can do the latter before you focus on the former."

Evans not necessarily in the doghouse. He is being coached. Playing time is in his hands.
That is how I heard it as well. Kind of feels like how it was when BSF didn't want to/struggled to block early in his career. It had an impact on his playing time but eventually he earned his way into a key role.

So is RB going to be your new obsession now that Morgan and MSM are gone :)

Fleck did address it in the press conference. Said they went with experience over youth in game one because they figured the vets would be better equipped to deal with all the unknowns they were dealing with in regards to the Nebraska defense.

Won't be surprised if the young guys get some carries this weekend. Assuming we are able to control the game I would expect to see the coaches really focus in on the run game and work on improving it.
That’s fair re 2 and 55. 8 and all these fast young LBers have me in a much better space. It’ll be interesting to see how the RB position shakes out.

Are any of our fast young linebackers capable of being a lead blocker or block out of the back spot? With the size of our Oline and how big they are, would be nice to have Ko Kieft type that can bring the hammer up the middle or off the edge. Well at least if we are facing a team selling out to stop the run.

Top Bottom