Rumored that Matt Rhule to Lincoln

19-20 at Baylor (28-13 the 3 years before him)
28-23 at temple (30-19 the 4 years before him)

I am not sure I would be that jazzed about it. He isn’t a build it guy. He is a it was going well but the coach left (briles or golden) and Ruhl kept it going kind of well guy but not as good as the most recent good coach.
Odd way to describe the situation in Baylor in 2016.

The Rhule resume is not impressive to me. On paper it looks good with that last year at Baylor, but no wins vs top 25. It wouldn’t be a home run hire in my eyes.
Yeah, I'm not sold on Rhule either. Their best win that year was probably Texas. He walked into an absolute dumpster fire in Baylor and brought them to mediocrity so he does deserve some credit but I don't think he's the slam dunk hire people are making him out to be. Baylor is now a sneaky good job too - talent hot bed, donors with cash and loose morals, outside the microscope of UT or Texas A&M (have time to build).

I think that program is in better hands with Aranda than Rhule.

It may be all NE can get though. I don't know if their options for coaches is as good as they hoped it would be.
I'm just hoping they don't go all in on Meyer, Meyer with NIL cash. . . scary.

Honestly, if I'm Nebraska and I'm throwing money around and Meyer turned me down, I'd give Bielema a call. I'm not sure he'd leave Illinois for Nebraska but as much as it pains me to say, he's a good coach.

Odd way to describe the situation in Baylor in 2016.
You disagree that the coach wasn’t at Baylor anymore?
That roster was loaded with talent and had a reputation for winning making it easier to get more

I'm just hoping they don't go all in on Meyer, Meyer with NIL cash. . . scary.

Honestly, if I'm Nebraska and I'm throwing money around and Meyer turned me down, I'd give Bielema a call. I'm not sure he'd leave Illinois for Nebraska but as much as it pains me to say, he's a good coach.
Yeah, I don't think he would switch either. He's got a good thing going now without the pressure.

I could see them go all out for Meyer. I just don't know if he wants to anymore or there. I picture a 3rd tier coach, (up and comer or retread) ending up at NE.

You disagree that the coach wasn’t at Baylor anymore?
That roster was loaded with talent and had a reputation for winning making it easier to get more
Yeah, I genuinely believe Baylor had two head coaches in 2017. You got me.

That's almost a little Frost like though. Rhule has the head coaching experience at Temple that Frost doesn't have, but Frost was a top coordinator at a big time school in Oregon which is experience Rhule doesn't have. His coordinator experience was at Temple.

Despite UCF being 0-12 the season before Frost took over, they were not void of talent as they won 9 games and 12 games the two years prior to that season. I feel similarly about Baylor who won 7 and 10 the two seasons before Rhule only won 1.

I think Rhule is a good coach, but I think the jury is still out on him long term.
Good, let Nebby think they hit a home run on another "program builder" coach without a proven record of sustaining it at that level. a disaster at the pro level. sounds like a good formula for Nebby to keep dreaming while they dwell in the basement for another 5-6 years.

True, but there is no evidence that Rhule is "great" yet.
This is where I fall as well. He doesn't have that long of a college track record to fall back on. He may very well end up being a great college coach but he hasn't proven it yet.

Yes Frost was a home run at the time. Rhule has a larger body of work at the college level though, whereas it seems Frost may have caught lightning in a bottle at UCF.
He caught lots of bottles of white lightning in Lincoln and drank em all…

Honestly they have clearly the best Qb in the west next year and it’s not particularly close. If he is worth his salt they should win the west next year

With the departure of Scott Frost it will be good to have someone new to (s)mock

ENr-EAFU0AMh3uW.jpeg

Rhule is not the right guy for the job.
More misery and (s)mockery for you nebby, 5 years.

Rhule is not the right guy for the job.
More misery and (s)mockery for you nebby, 5 years.
In his two previous stops his year one records are a combined 3-21
His combined year two records are 13-12
We will see if he is good in 2025

If it’s true he left the Panthers with 40 million dollars, he could create his own NIL company.

I know. But he knew he was out after the season, so the timing seems like it might be a mutual agreement. Seems like taking a year off would be in order otherwise.
That would be hilarious! Another 3 to 5 bad years in Lincoln!

Thompson may be the most talented. It is far from a lock that he will be the best. Pretty absurd to claim otherwise.
Who is going to be better?
Not iowa
Not wisconsin
Can’t name Purdue
Can’t name Illinois
Can’t name northwestern

So it’s him or Athan. I’d take him in the short term

Not iowa
Not wisconsin
Can’t name Purdue
Can’t name Illinois
Can’t name northwestern

Thompson may be the best QB in the West next season but it isn't a slam dunk like you seem to believe. Surpassing him isn't a very high bar to clear frankly and Ruhle or whoever is Nebby's coach next season shouldn't just name him the defacto starter.

Not iowa
Not wisconsin
Can’t name Purdue
Can’t name Illinois
Can’t name northwestern

So, does that mean the Gophers are at minimum co-favorites to win the West next year?

So, does that mean the Gophers are at minimum co-favorites to win the West next year?
Not at all.
I don’t think Nebraska is the favorite (because I don’t actually think they can put it together even with the best QB)

I think Mn can be in the mix next year but hard to pick the favorite as a team who plays both Ohio state and Michigan. But once I see how rosters shake out I can make a better prediction. I had Minnesota as the favorite this year and Purdue number 2.

Depending on what happens to their roster wisconsin may be the team to beat. If Allen leaves I might pick Wisconsin as low as 6th

What I’m telling you it might be up for grabs again next year

Thompson may be the best QB in the West next season but it isn't a slam dunk like you seem to believe. Surpassing him isn't a very high bar to clear frankly and Ruhle or whoever is Nebby's coach next season shouldn't just name him the defacto starter.
You know if you bench a guy you have to play someone else right?

Not a sure thing he is back next year supposedly

Top Bottom