RT/RG

Someone on this board used to look at a replay of the game and give a fairly in-depth analysis of each individual OL performance. That would be terrific to see again.
Listen to the Gopher Gridiron recap podcasts if you don't already.

Derek Burns is an elite schematic mind...I learn something new every week from him.

That's just to keep a fire lit under someone's butt.

We're not starting a true freshman at Guard over a 5th year or 4th year guy. Eslinger/Setterstrom not withstanding, from like 20 years ago, there is just wayyyyyy too much physical and mental maturity that needs to take place in an 18 year old to be ready to start at OL in the Big Ten.
Mason Cole would like a word

If we had a true freshman OL on the roster who had played in the UA All-America Bowl and had offers from Alabama, Ohio State, etc., then yes, he probably would’ve beat out Cooper or Lewis during fall camp.

Valid argument about going with younger guys over a senior. But they went with sixth year Axel last year. Cooper and Boe are this year’s Axel.

If we had a true freshman OL on the roster who who played in the UA All-America Bowl and had offers from Alabama, Ohio State, etc., then yes he probably would’ve beat out Cooper or Lewis in fall camp.
I missed those qualifiers in the quote 👍

I believe Greg Johnson should get a shot at right guard. He's leaner and quicker afoot than Lewis and that's what this run game needs this season, especially if they're going to pull and trap more for Tyler.
Plus, it would solidify a position for next year when the Gophers OL may lose a C, LT and LG again.

I believe Greg Johnson should get a shot at right guard. He's leaner and quicker afoot than Lewis and that's what this run game needs this season, especially if they're going to pull and trap more for Tyler.
Plus, it would solidify a position for next year when the Gophers OL may lose a C, LT and LG again.

Pretty sure Johnson's at LG behind Cooper/Shaw, and Ashton Beers is backing up RG behind Lewis. Don't be surprised if overall Beers is actually closer to starting than Johnson.

Man does the future look bright along our OL with Cade McConnell at C, Johnson & Beers at G, Tony Nelson at LT, and several promising options at RT.

I’d like to see Johnson and Nelson at guard and then Boe and Shaw can fight it out for center. Neither of the centers will be particularly good, but I don’t think we’re grooming any youngsters at center right now. I think Nelson and Johnson both have “it”. Might as well get them on the field now.
I’d like to see the best at each position on the field. Just a thought.

Little different caliber, but yes freshmen olinemen do sometimes start. Daniel Faalele and Dunlap both had starts as freshmen. Big Dan started 8 games.
But not the first one.

Top Bottom