Royce video worth watching - he quits college basketball?

awag777

Second Row of Williams Arena
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, though it was just posted around 3:30 AM on his Facebook, so I doubt it.

I said I wasn't going to watch anything else he put out, but this one was solid. Kid seems pretty sincere, and actually does some talking without any shameless plug for any crappy bands/individuals.

Says something about leaving college basketball, not sure what to make of it. I'm sure Myron will eat this up and give a really original spin on it tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5K9v6cgKME

sounds like he has made a decision, and, I believe, it is to leave college basketball

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, though it was just posted around 3:30 AM on his Facebook, so I doubt it.

I said I wasn't going to watch anything else he put out, but this one was solid. Kid seems pretty sincere, and actually does some talking without any shameless plug for any crappy bands/individuals.

Says something about leaving college basketball, not sure what to make of it. I'm sure Myron will eat this up and give a really original spin on it tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5K9v6cgKME

you mean "Blizzard" ??

This kid is an interesting guy. He seems well spoken (for his age) and sincere. I will say, despite what some folks say...I think the videos paint a better picture of him. Sure, its a distraction..but they are well done and show talent in other areas.

Guilty or not (laptop)...I would like to have this guy on my team. Mistakes are made and he seems capable of moving forward. I also think that Matui / Tubby must know a few other things we don't...otherwise he wouldn't be suspended for so long...

He states a couple times that he is going to leave college basketball but will not transfer. Can you declare for the NBA draft next year? Overseas is probably the more likely option I guess....

Thank you UMPD for preventing a dedicated 5* athlete from ever playing on our team. These kids do not come around often, especially with as much love for the Twin Cities! I know Royce made his share of mistakes but this is just ridiculous. Also, Maturi is a coward in my book. I guarantee he has the connections and the power to move this along or end this investigation of Royce. It is almost like people dont want to see the Gophers or Royce succeed.

"Thank you UMPD for preventing a dedicated 5* athlete from ever playing on our team."

Yes, that's where the blame should lie; Royce had nothing to do with it! It's the American (Gopher basketball fan) way. If in doubt, blame someone else for Royce's foibles. ... that'll teach him.;)

How were RW'S mid-terms? How academically sound is he after attending classes? All these distractions have to take a toll. Is he making the grades? Could be a factor..... It has been stated that he has to do certain things to rejoin the team.... This is a duh......

If in doubt, blame someone else for Royce's foibles

I agree. Although I do not believe Royce will quit the team, he's got no one to blame but himself.

Experience is a hard teacher because it gives the test first and the lessons after. This kid has never had to learn the lessons.

It's really nice to hear his side of the story. I am a bit shocked that this story has taken this turn. I guess I'll hope things get straightened out and he changes his mind.

He states a couple times that he is going to leave college basketball but will not transfer. Can you declare for the NBA draft next year? Overseas is probably the more likely option I guess....

Thank you UMPD for preventing a dedicated 5* athlete from ever playing on our team. These kids do not come around often, especially with as much love for the Twin Cities! I know Royce made his share of mistakes but this is just ridiculous. Also, Maturi is a coward in my book. I guarantee he has the connections and the power to move this along or end this investigation of Royce. It is almost like people dont want to see the Gophers or Royce succeed.

I think it's a conspiracy against Royce, a deeply misunderstood and innocent victim.:rolleyes:

Sad day for Gopher basketball. I can't say I blame Royce's decision.

How were RW'S mid-terms? How academically sound is he after attending classes? All these distractions have to take a toll. Is he making the grades? Could be a factor..... It has been stated that he has to do certain things to rejoin the team.... This is a duh......

Mike Max had a note a couple weeks ago from people saying White was doing well in school. Could be a case of burn out from all the years of basketball and being told how good he is. ESPN had a story this past year about the #1 Girl's basketball recruit in the country that committed to UCONN, but hated basketball. She didn't know how to break it to her parents or coaches that she didn't want to play. She ended up at a lower level college playing Volleyball and very happy.

ESPN had a story this past year about the #1 Girl's basketball recruit in the country that committed to UCONN, but hated basketball. She didn't know how to break it to her parents or coaches that she didn't want to play. She ended up at a lower level college playing Volleyball and very happy.

She quit volleyball and she's playing basketball again.

University of Delaware Elena Delle Donne

Wow this kid is messed up

How about telling your coach this instead of announcing it on youtube? There are some serious maturity issues here.

I have a couple of thoughts here:

1. At a certain level, I can sympathize with Royce now being in a tough spot. It does sound as if he still has dreams of being a Gopher and it's too bad that things have come to this point in his life. Even with his transgressions, Royce has always stated that he never had any intentions of playing for anybody else but the Gophers and Tubby. In other words, it was Tubby and the Gophers or bust. Unfortunately, it appears that it has come to the latter of those two options. But I can't really say I blame him for making this call either. The longer things drag out, the more of a distraction it will be to the team and the harder it would be for Royce and his family. It appears that Royce is making this call to relieve the burden from himself, his family, coach Smith and the Gopher team.

2. Having said all that, Royce is still to blame. And it appears as though he realizes he's made some really bad choices that directly led to this situation. But perhaps this is exactly what he needs to do and I can respect him standing up and making a call that may help everyone move on. I can only say good luck to Royce and wish him well in whatever direction he decides to take his life from this point on.

How about telling your coach this instead of announcing it on youtube? There are some serious maturity issues here.

In all fairness, it's entirely possible that he had already informed Tubby prior to this video appearing on facebook. If he hasn't, then yeah, it would be a problem. But given the serious nature of his statements here, I would be surprised if he didn't tell Tubby first.

Royce White quits college basketball?

Thought it deserved it's own thread; based on the video he released this morning...it would appear as though he really is done? Thoughts/comments?

Also, does everyone think he is truly done? No chance of him suiting up? I know he is frustrated, it'll be interesting to see what happens...

Also, does everyone think he is truly done? No chance of him suiting up? I know he is frustrated, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Is he sure he doesn't want to follow in Spencer's footsteps and be a theater major?

Quite the flair for the dramatic.

He doesn't say he'll quit. He says it'll take something really big for him not to quit. I'm sure he's frustrated. They'll talk him down from the ledge in the final minute.

This video, along with the others, is fairly well done. Credit at least for that.

He could be making this statement to try and get Tubby to reverse his decision sooner and allow him back on the squad before the laptop investigation is final. Whatever his motives are, I think he is getting really bad advice from whomever, if anyone, is advising him. Worse yet, he may not even care or listen to what they have to say.

Let him go...We don't need this crap and we'll be fine without him. Let him go!

How can he leave college basketball if he never played college basketball?

The guy is a mess, he needs help. This is good news for the program--Tubby doesn't need this distraction for the next year plus.

Here's my take: I equate this to a 10 year old getting frustrated with his parents and threatening to run away. Nothing more, nothing less.

There are probably two possible scenarios:

1) Royce, Tubby, the Administration have been having behind-closed-door talks and there is a lot of stuff that we don't know... and this is the culmination of that. We'll hear an official announcement soon.

OR

2) More likely in my opinion, there is really nothing else going on behind the scenes. The MOA thing has resolved. The laptop thing is dragging out just like we are being told. Tubby and the Administration are just waiting for that to wrap up... but Royce is getting really impatient. Whether he is guilty or innocent of the laptop thing, it's just taking longer than he would like. He's getting frustrated and maybe thinks if he threatens to leave... the laptop thing speeds up.

My two cents

So let me get this straight. He can't wait any longer for the slow pace of the wheels of justice. So, he has decided to leave college basketball in favor of... something to be decided later.

His "protest" over his frustration with the pace of the justice system is to leave college basketball. That'll show 'em.

Here's my take: I equate this to a 10 year old getting frustrated with his parents and threatening to run away. Nothing more, nothing less.

There are probably two possible scenarios:

1) Royce, Tubby, the Administration have been having behind-closed-door talks and there is a lot of stuff that we don't know... and this is the culmination of that. We'll hear an official announcement soon.

OR

2) More likely in my opinion, there is really nothing else going on behind the scenes. The MOA thing has resolved. The laptop thing is dragging out just like we are being told. Tubby and the Administration are just waiting for that to wrap up... but Royce is getting really impatient. Whether he is guilty or innocent of the laptop thing, it's just taking longer than he would like. He's getting frustrated and maybe thinks if he threatens to leave... the laptop thing speeds up.

My two cents
I think this is a very good take on it. Probably pretty accurate...

Schnauzer dude.... I am not justifying his behavior or his thinking (if that is the case).

No... his protest is not to LEAVE college basketball... his protest is to THREATEN to leave.... big difference.

Remember, 10 year old kid threatening to run away???? See the analogy?

NOT JUSTIFYING IT. DON"T THINK IT'S RIGHT.....

Top Bottom