Ron Edwards column: Minnesota: land of underused though highly skilled Black QBs

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Apparently Ron Edwards is so upset about Gray's move to WR that he decided to refer to Gray as "Grey" throughout his column. From his prose:

Vikings Joe Webb and Gopher MarQueis Grey are highly skilled Black quarterbacks with tremendous talents being underutilized. Let’s talk about it.

Now let’s talk about how poorly the University of Minnesota is utilizing MarQueis Grey, who UM admits is “one of the most highly regarded dual-threat quarterbacks in the nation.” The unspoken rule: a winning injured quarterback gets his starting job back when he returns.

Grey has returned from injury after leading the Gophers to a 4-0 start. So why isn’t he starting again?

For three years, the White media in this town, who criticized Joe Webb, equally criticized MarQueis Grey, implying that neither African American had the intellectual skills or a deep enough intellectual knowledge of the game to be a winning quarterback in control of games, despite their obvious records to the contrary. At play, as with the Timberwolves, is Minnesota White sports media thinking about the wrong “w,” thinking White and not win.

http://www.spokesman-recorder.com/2...sed-though-highly-skilled-black-quarterbacks/

Go Gophers!!

I guess that's one way to try and get attention. I'm not going to bite.
Gray rocks. It's a great story. When healthy, he is our best football player.
Mr. Edwards, Movember is over.

Apparently Ron Edwards is so upset about Gray's move to WR that he decided to refer to Gray as "Grey" throughout his column. From his prose:

Vikings Joe Webb and Gopher MarQueis Grey are highly skilled Black quarterbacks with tremendous talents being underutilized. Let’s talk about it.

Now let’s talk about how poorly the University of Minnesota is utilizing MarQueis Grey, who UM admits is “one of the most highly regarded dual-threat quarterbacks in the nation.” The unspoken rule: a winning injured quarterback gets his starting job back when he returns.

Grey has returned from injury after leading the Gophers to a 4-0 start. So why isn’t he starting again?

For three years, the White media in this town, who criticized Joe Webb, equally criticized MarQueis Grey, implying that neither African American had the intellectual skills or a deep enough intellectual knowledge of the game to be a winning quarterback in control of games, despite their obvious records to the contrary. At play, as with the Timberwolves, is Minnesota White sports media thinking about the wrong “w,” thinking White and not win.

http://www.spokesman-recorder.com/2...sed-though-highly-skilled-black-quarterbacks/

Go Gophers!!

This may be the most exposure a Spokesman-Recorder article can get outside of it's "target audience". Much like Mr.Limbaugh, Oliver Stone, Glenn Beck or Hugo Chavez for that matter "preaching to prejudice" sells. Just like "preaching to the choir". Doesn't mean it's even trying for the truth.

You don't waste a redshirt season or a first round pick without giving that person a chance. It's not racism.

I'd say Mr. Edwerds is failing to account for the building process. If roles were reversed and Nelson were the senior and Gray was the true freshman, it seems likely that the coaching staff would be doing the same thing they are now: playing the young guy.

fully expect Gray skills to be on full display at the bowl game if healthy. QB or WR or wildcat all in play. I predicted before the season gray would catch a td pass.....i want to be right.

Neither one is a starting QB. Does he whine when a white QB doesn't make it? Will he cry for Christian Ponder when he washes out?

Neither one can throw a football particularly well.

He sounds a bit racist by calling out the white media when it is a black coach who keeps webb on the bench. What makes him an expert in determining which qb's are highly skilled. I think that if you are highly skilled you will be playing. Obviously webb isn't that skilled and I think it is stupid to group gray in with him.

I'll bet dimes to donuts this guy hasn't watched one second of Gopher football all year.

This is as ridiculous as the idea that the Wolves are trying to form an all white team too attract more affluent fans.

I'll bet dimes to donuts this guy hasn't watched one second of Gopher football all year.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Ron Edwards is Ruesse's missing twin brother who ran away from Fulda because Patrick said Fulda wasn't big enough for two "sports" writers. How could a town the size of Fulda produce two much less one sports writers of the stature of those two?

Can we dump the line 'you don't lose your job because of injury'?

Ask Wally Pipp about that.

He sounds a bit racist by calling out the white media when it is a black coach who keeps webb on the bench. What makes him an expert in determining which qb's are highly skilled. I think that if you are highly skilled you will be playing. Obviously webb isn't that skilled and I think it is stupid to group gray in with him.
I'd guess that his assertion is that if it were up to Frazier, Webb would have been starting weeks ago. However, pressure from the Wilfs and Spielman have forced Frazier to play Ponder.

Clearly the U is in lock step with the Timberwolves front office. This guy would be a perfect fit for the STrib.

There's another article posted in the "Off Topic" section from this same website about the Twins not having any black players on the team now. Both have so many mistakes in it.

2 tickets for the Timberwolves. Post haste young chap! Is there a hat check for my top hat?

Joe Webb has gotten a lot of criticism?

Not really, as the backup, he typically doesn't get much heat. Most don't see him as a permanent solution though, so maybe he considers that "criticism".

I hate articles like this cause the guy clearly doesn't even understand the situations with both teams to really make an educated argument, but he's still trying to make it. He's making the assumption that Joe Webb is capable of running an NFL team, and I haven't seen any signs he can be that guy. Gray, it's more complicated than just benching him. He was injured, and in the midst of his injury, the team was pushed into playing a true freshman, who now had his redshirt burned.

He talks about all the white coaches, and yet, the Vikings currently employ a black coach, who is making the decision not to play his black quarterback. And then insinuates that he's being told to do it, not that he's making that decision on his own. And the fact that they can no longer finish 6-10 cause they're 7-6.

Just riddled with misinformation, it's disappointing, cause I do think race issues clearly exist, but I think he's barking up the wrong trees to bring those to light.

I'm betting you are right.

Yep, this guy hasn't watched a second of Gopher football.

As for his comments about the Wolves. . .
he must thing that the entire NBA is racist. Wes Johnson is atrocious and doesn't see many minutes in Phx, Beasley has continued being terrible, Anthony Randolph doesn't get any minutes and Jonny Flynn is in Japan. They lost their minutes to Chase Budinger (now hurt), (russian) Shved (playing good), and (russian)Kirilenko (one of our better players) and JJ Barrea (puerto rican). So either there is a league wide conspiracy holding back the likes of Jonny Flynn, Wes Johnson, Anthony Randolph, and Mike Beasley OR maybe, just maybe, these players (who happen to be African American) stink and were upgraded for talent reasons.

This guy is an absolute idiot. He is not a big enough sports fan to craft an articulate / controversial sports article and he's not an intelligent enough human being to hide it.

He talks about all the white coaches, and yet, the Vikings currently employ a black coach, who is making the decision not to play his black quarterback. And then insinuates that he's being told to do it, not that he's making that decision on his own. And the fact that they can no longer finish 6-10 cause they're 7-6.

It's really not that complicated, it's because the white media and the white Vikes fans love Ponder so much that none of them could stand the idea of him losing his job to Joe Webb.

It's like with Grey, none of the white Gopher fans wanted him to get any playing time before he was JR. I mean, everyone loved Adam Weber and never got any criticism from the fanbase or the media.

Interesting that he believes he knows who is highly skilled. While he's at it, was Tavaris Jackson not given a fair shake with the Vikings? Or Seattle? Maybe John Nance and David Pittman would have been outstanding D-1 QB's if only they were white?

I'd guess that his assertion is that if it were up to Frazier, Webb would have been starting weeks ago. However, pressure from the Wilfs and Spielman have forced Frazier to play Ponder.

I'm sure you're correct on that one. Unfortunately he's pretty uneducated when it comes to both qb's skills and abilities.

For three years, the White media in this town, who criticized Joe Webb, equally criticized MarQueis Grey, implying that neither African American had the intellectual skills or a deep enough intellectual knowledge of the game to be a winning quarterback in control of games, despite their obvious records to the contrary.

I'm on this board everyday and read almost every thing I can about Gopher football. Not as much about the Vikes, but I feel like I at least know what's going on. I have never heard anybody question the intellectual skills of either of those guys. Am I missing something?

I will repeat my opinion on this whole thing:

ANYONE who uses racism as a basis for their argument is in and of himself/herself a racist.

I am of Norwegian descent. I don't bitch about not enough Norwegians on a TEAM named after Norwegians.

I will repeat my opinion on this whole thing:

ANYONE who uses racism as a basis for their argument is in and of himself/herself a racist.

I am of Norwegian descent. I don't bitch about not enough Norwegians on a TEAM named after Norwegians.

They are Swedish team Dr. Don. No Norwegians allowed.

Since Gray's biggest threat is his running ability, he hasn't been a legitimate candidate to start until hopefully this bowl game. He had some chances against MSU though. I think every Gopher fan I have met likes Gray and appreciates what he has done for the team.

How can you write an article like this and not even mention the most maligned African American QB of all time in this town...Tarvaris Jackson. How's his career going again?

More evidence it's in the way you play, not the color of your skin.

Top Bottom