Rodney Tweet

If the Gophers aren't number 1 and national champs we should fire Tubby and hire Coach K. Probably force Andre to transfer at years end too. Give Norwood the axe also. Everyone must go.

No, we should be happy with a 4th/5th/6th place finish in a supposed "up" year. Then next year we need to be happy with staying out of the bottom 3 and maybe making the NIT because we're "rebuilding". In another 2-3 years, the expectations for Gopher Basketball can be just as pathetic as those for Gopher Football.

No, we should be happy with a 4th/5th/6th place finish in a supposed "up" year. Then next year we need to be happy with staying out of the bottom 3 and maybe making the NIT because we're "rebuilding". In another 2-3 years, the expectations for Gopher Basketball can be just as pathetic as those for Gopher Football.

I agree with you on this. Year 6 of Tubby and if his best year is a 5th or 6th place finish and it is his "best" team, then he has not done what he was brought here to do. I agree with you about next year as well, unless something comes up out of the blue, I fail to see how this team is going to be very good at all. There is no evidence of any type of inside game aside from Trevor and Rodney. Looking like next year is going to be Hollins, Hollins, and Coleman scoring 50 points a game and praying for someone else to step up.

All that being said, a 3rd place (even 4th) place finish this year with 11-12 wins and a trip to the sweet 16 would without a doubt buy Tubs a pass for next year, IMO. A 10-8 5th or 6th place finish and another 1st round exit from the tournament followed by what looks to be a tough season next year would be grounds for looking somewhere else, IMO.

I personally think the team this year is a good team, a top 20 team, but not a top 5 team. Expectations got really high really fast in the past 3 weeks, and reality is possibly smacking fans in the face a bit. If I had to bet I think this is an 11 win at least big ten team and should get a 4-5 seed in the big dance. Less than that and I would think there will be a lot of frustrated fans.

I agree with you on this. Year 6 of Tubby and if his best year is a 5th or 6th place finish and it is his "best" team, then he has not done what he was brought here to do. I agree with you about next year as well, unless something comes up out of the blue, I fail to see how this team is going to be very good at all. There is no evidence of any type of inside game aside from Trevor and Rodney. Looking like next year is going to be Hollins, Hollins, and Coleman scoring 50 points a game and praying for someone else to step up.

All that being said, a 3rd place (even 4th) place finish this year with 11-12 wins and a trip to the sweet 16 would without a doubt buy Tubs a pass for next year, IMO. A 10-8 5th or 6th place finish and another 1st round exit from the tournament followed by what looks to be a tough season next year would be grounds for looking somewhere else, IMO.

I personally think the team this year is a good team, a top 20 team, but not a top 5 team. Expectations got really high really fast in the past 3 weeks, and reality is possibly smacking fans in the face a bit. If I had to bet I think this is an 11 win at least big ten team and should get a 4-5 seed in the big dance. Less than that and I would think there will be a lot of frustrated fans.

Agree 110%

The issue is people acting like the season is already a failure for losing to #5 Michigan. Calling for pitch forks and night riots. No one likes losing, but if 3 losses all to top 5 teams make you think this season is a failure then I can't imagine you ever being happy with any basketball program.

To quote Mike Tice.............................."Enjooooooy the Season"

It's a long season in the BIG. Rest assured there will be ups and downs. I'm hoping that the Gophs are playing their best ball in March. They did last year.

Sorry but college basketball is too driven by guard play for us to be terrible next year. Most likely the Gophers will finish in the top 6 and a commitment from Schilling would likely elevate that.

Sorry but college basketball is too driven by guard play for us to be terrible next year. Most likely the Gophers will finish in the top 6 and a commitment from Schilling would likely elevate that.

Agree 100%. To think the gophers will be bottom tier of the Big10 next year is idiotic. All we need is Ellison to be consistent (in the ball park of 7pts 7rbs per game). And someone to step up at the 4 (Buggs or Schilling). Don't count out Big Mo getting his butt into shape in the offseason as well. We will have arguably the best backcourt in the Big 10 next year with all 3 guys coming back. Losing Trevor will really hurt. I don't know if you have noticed, but Rodney has been a disappearing act come big10 play.

Agree 100%. To think the gophers will be bottom tier of the Big10 next year is idiotic. All we need is Ellison to be consistent (in the ball park of 7pts 7rbs per game). And someone to step up at the 4 (Buggs or Schilling). Don't count out Big Mo getting his butt into shape in the offseason as well. We will have arguably the best backcourt in the Big 10 next year with all 3 guys coming back. Losing Trevor will really hurt. I don't know if you have noticed, but Rodney has been a disappearing act come big10 play.

Respect your opinion. So you are saying I am an idiot for thinking it is possible the gophers will finish in the bottom six in the B10 next year?

I will agree with the opinion that if Big MO was in shape and playing he solves a TON of issues next year, IMO

I will add this - If Tubs can sign Shilling and then land Vaughn, Jones, or Reid I think the heat goes away, if he gets two of them he buys himself at least 3 more years...

I will add this - If Tubs can sign Shilling and then land Vaughn, Jones, or Reid I think the heat goes away, if he gets two of them he buys himself at least 3 more years...

He just signed a new contract and he has a top 10 team in the country I hope he has at least 3 more years. He is not under any heat and he shouldn't be.

He just signed a new contract and he has a top 10 team in the country I hope he has at least 3 more years. He is not under any heat and he shouldn't be.

Johnny Boy - I hope you are right, but you think if MN has another collapse this year he wont be feeling the heat?

Anyone mad at Tubby for calling his players out is a pussy and it's insulting to think that our fans think our players are that big of pussies as well, none of you could be athletes at a high level with that attitude

With that list of needs it really isn't "idiotic" to think they could finish in the bottom tier of the conference next year.

Whatever our thoughts are about how good Tubby is/has been with the Gophs, I would much prefer whether or not he is on the hot seat be dictated by on court results in the NCAA tournament and in the B1G season than based on the perceived quality of recruits he lands. If he lands Vaughn, Jones, and Reid but misses the tournament, I'm not going to praise him for landing such a great recruiting class, just like if he misses out on all three but goes to the Sweet Sixteen, I'm not going to say "hey, wins are great, but I really would have rather had a high ranked recruiting class". I recognize that good recruits are what creates winning teams, but good recruiting classes are only invaluable in as much as they result in more wins and deeper tournament runs.

The Barn is full, top ten team, fun to watch, kids graduate! Leave the firing of head coaches to the programs that cheat, kids that don't go to school, teams were the kids don't play hard because they have given up on their coach and school. I said it before, he's a kind man that represents the university with class. Let the fans be classy and cheer on our team through good and bad. I don't want to see Minnesota as the unstable, controversial, and dramatic school always looking for blame. We are a steady lot that lives in the north and are successful in what we do because of integrity and hard work. Go Gophers.

Tubby did throw the guys under the bus after the game saying that the starters had a bad practice on Wednesday and that carried over to the game on Thursday. He also said something to the effect of Austin Hollins is the one guy who comes to work every day.

I agree with those that say the effort was lacking (especially defensively) on Thursday. The Gophers didn't do a good job getting back on D, and they allowed Michigan to shoot a ridiculous efg% on shots that were not blocked (hat tip to GW for the stat on his Twitter).

That said, I am a little tired of Tubby pointing fingers at his players when his teams disappointing losses seem to follow the same pattern. The team had too many turnovers and went a ridiculous amount of game time without scoring a fg...sound familiar? The line change in the first half is usually a disaster and that points to both coaching strategy and lack of recruiting success. Tubby does usually do a great job of getting his team to play hard though, so I can see why he might have had a hard time biting his lip after that game.

How did your fat ass get into the locker room?

Please don't go to a shopping mall or school with a loaded gun.

Johnny Boy - I hope you are right, but you think if MN has another collapse this year he wont be feeling the heat?

If we truly collapse, then yes, he probably would be. But we wouldn't fire him. The closest we'd get would be to kinda encourage him to look elsewhere... we're not a school with enough clout to fire a Hall of Fame coach, even if he's underachieving (which I don't think he is, but I'd probably feel a bit differently if we somehow collapsed- which I don't believe we're anywhere near doing.)

If we truly collapse, then yes, he probably would be. But we wouldn't fire him. The closest we'd get would be to kinda encourage him to look elsewhere... we're not a school with enough clout to fire a Hall of Fame coach, even if he's underachieving (which I don't think he is, but I'd probably feel a bit differently if we somehow collapsed- which I don't believe we're anywhere near doing.)

Fair points. I agree that this year he is not underachieving. Do you think that over this six years here he has?

Fair points. I agree that this year he is not underachieving. Do you think that over this six years here he has?

I do. I enrolled in the U the same year Tubby took over, and I guess I assumed that he'd have won an NCAA tourney game by the time I graduated. Didn't happen. Though, I believe it would have if not for injuries... but that's a wash since that can and does happen to all teams.

So I suppose he was/is slightly under my expectations, but not by too much.

The University of Minnesota has all the clout it needs to fire any coach. Whether they have enough money to pay for the buy-out is another subject.

The University of Minnesota has all the clout it needs to fire any coach. Whether they have enough money to pay for the buy-out is another subject.

That's true. Very. I guess I was thinking of it as more of a question of if they'd fire someone with that level because I'm not sure that the MN job is an elite job that could attract a candidate with anything near equal clout. That isn't to say that we couldn't hire an up-and-comer, though, who could end up being great.

They certainly could fire anyone, though. I just think that unless things were really, really bad, a lot of the country/media/fans/coaches would think "who do they think they are, who do they think they're going to get?" But that doesn't mean it couldn't be the right move in certain circumstances.

(That being said, I'm generally very happy that Tubby is our coach).

Just a tidbit for the "Tubby never takes blame for anything" crowd:

"Coleman's injury, along with Williams' battle with minor knee and groin issues, was part of the reason Smith decided to back down on the intensity of practice the day prior to playing Michigan. What resulted was a poor practice that left Smith to label it as part of the reason for how disjointed his team had played.

"I think we were trying to be less intense, because we wanted to make sure everybody was healthy," Smith said. "That was poor coaching on my part to do it that way.""

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...has_served_as_a_wakeup_call_for_Gophers012213

Top Bottom