Rodney Tweet

Nice points. I was an athlete in college as well, and that makes me of no special qualifications to judge behavior on this board. But I imagine that I am like the majority, I cane complain and I can complement. So potential recruits and or parents may see negative comment? Big deal, grow up someday. This board isn't suppose to be 'Walden's Pond' where everyone is happy and sings happy gay song. Go to any other college board and the same percentage will compliment and complain. Life happens.

And my complaint about last nite-Yes, maybe Michigan is just better, but to never even threaten them on your home court smacks of a lack of effort and passion. I was very disappointed and the next game I will be glued to the TV cheering them on.

lack of effort? please. it was a bad matchup.. who lacked effort? specifics please? you want to see 'lack of effort and passion', watch North Carolina play. everyone i saw on the court last night left it all out there.. was coleman tight? yes.. rodney frustrated? yes.. in fact, isn't frustration a result of passion?

There is no doubt that Tubby tossed his starters under the bus. When I heard Tubby's post-game analysis it reminded me that when things go bad, Tubby will quickly blame his players for the failure and not mention where he and his coaching staff failed. It's been a constant trend with Tubby and I'm sure it's one of the factors that has led to some kids quitting the team and moving elsewhere.

Should Tubby have mentioned how poorly his starters practiced the day before to the media? Probably not. Those issues should be internal and stay internal. Tubby was obviously frustrated and venting. He needed to have better composure.

That being said, Rodney and Joe Coleman played a pathetic game last night. They were both incredibly sloppy and deficient on both the offensive and defensive ends of the court. Rodney, as a senior, has no excuse for the moping he's doing. He needs to man up and channel his attitude into a higher level of intensity rather than pout and droop because his coach called him out in public.

In the end, Rodney needs to really take a deep look into his soul and determine if he really wants to play basketball at an elite level. Presently, Rodney is living off his athleticism, but hasn't appreciably improved his dribbling skills or his shooting skills to make himself worthy of an NBA draft pick. I believe it was Jim Peterson, whom I heard on WCCO yesterday afternoon, who pointed out that Rodney is a lesser version of Wes Johnson. THAT is not a compliment to Rodney.

From what I saw last night, this Gopher team is right on the edge of either pulling it together and making a significant jump in improvement over the rest of the season...or...of watching another B1G season slip away into mediocrity. The question is: Can Tubby motivate this team to greatness or will he lose them like he lost previous teams?

Tiny Arch, the comments I heard from Tubby were not that harsh. He talked about the poor practice and how that translated into a poor game. I think Rodney's tweet came off as an angry reaction to that. As a senior and a leader on the team, I want better from him. Don't get me wrong, he seems like a good kid and I like his effort, but he has to be able to take some criticism.

Looking at the up coming schedule we will be fine, we will win our next four and be 7-2 heading into Sparty I think at the start of the conference slate if someone said we would be 3-2 most of us would take it, I remember people being worried about a 1-4 start, worse case will still be about 13th in the AP poll on Monday, next game is NW perfect team to get off the snide against

Looking at the up coming schedule we will be fine, we will win our next four and be 7-2 heading into Sparty I think at the start of the conference slate if someone said we would be 3-2 most of us would take it, I remember people being worried about a 1-4 start, worse case will still be about 13th in the AP poll on Monday, next game is NW perfect team to get off the snide against

Did you happen to notice that the second of the four games is at Wis and Wis is 4-0?

sure did mac and I noticed their guards aren't athletic to keep up with our guards one we're up five, it will force becky to shoot faster and that;'s where the gophs pull away

4-0??? Ugh. How will we ever compete. We are only 3-2. Darn.

Never said we were going to lose, hope we win, a post above was calling the next 4 games wins, that is a little bold. 4-0 would be great, the Wisconsin game will be a battle.

Calm down dude. We lost to the #5 team by 8. Yes, it was at home. Yes, they were down 19 at one point. Yes, they turn it over way too much. But step off the ledge, nothing this team has done up till now points to a nervous Selection Sunday, not even close. A loss @ Northwestern on the other hand.....

Not particularly nervous. More disappointed, if not almost bored. I've read this chapter before a few times and was looking forward to something different.

Tiny Arch, the comments I heard from Tubby were not that harsh. He talked about the poor practice and how that translated into a poor game. I think Rodney's tweet came off as an angry reaction to that. As a senior and a leader on the team, I want better from him. Don't get me wrong, he seems like a good kid and I like his effort, but he has to be able to take some criticism.

I guess what we don't know what was said behind the scenes. What he said after the game certainly wasn't throwing anyone under the bus.

Maybe Tubby should throw himself under the bus for putting in the turnover offense so early and playing Mav as backup pg against a quick opposing pg. If a quick pg plays him close he can barely dribble across half. That most be so exciting as a player/coach of the other team when they see him entering the game.

I'm not exactly sure why people are so blown away by Wisconsin's start. Obviously 4-0 is impressive in the BT. Only one of those wins was actually surprising and extremely impressive though.

Not particularly nervous. More disappointed, if not almost bored. I've read this chapter before a few times and was looking forward to something different.

You've seen us lose to three top 5 teams and no one else? You don't think this season could write a different story.

I was as disappointed as anyone last night, but I'll save the doom and gloom for if we lose to Northwestern.

It may not be '97 all over again, but it could still be really special. Frickin' UConn won the national title 2 years ago after going 9-9 in conference.

lets not say 'he didn't come to play'..
1.)we had almost no transition baskets... rodney's strength.. it was all half-court... rodneys weakness.
2.) there was no movement in our half court offense.. no backdoor cutting, etc. rodney's strenth is not simple post-ups.
3.) he had an athletic, aggressive freshman bodying him all night.. and getting no senior/homecooking calls on the bodying....= frustration.

this game simply didn't fit to his strengths.

While I agree with your points, I think that you're being a little naive to think that he didn't play poorly. He added almost nothing. He was unable to finish around the rim; as a freak athlete, I expect him to be able to do that and contribute in some other ways. It was a very bad game from him and I think that your #3 is the biggest reason why. Rodney relies heavily on his athleticism (understandable) and when he guarded by someone who can match him more than most, he has really struggled.

I think he'll bounce back, and that he's played great this year, but last night was one of the worst games he's played in the last year.

I'm not exactly sure why people are so blown away by Wisconsin's start. Obviously 4-0 is impressive in the BT. Only one of those wins was actually surprising and extremely impressive though.

+1000

Not to mention they only beat Nebraska and Penn State by single digits.

Have you watched them play lately? They are playing like a machine. Mistake free and well disciplined. We have the horses, but them horses better clean up their play if they want to hang with WI. Should be interesting.

I think Bo Ryan has solved some of their issues at the point. He has them playing his system to perfection.

You've seen us lose to three top 5 teams and no one else? You don't think this season could write a different story.

I was as disappointed as anyone last night, but I'll save the doom and gloom for if we lose to Northwestern.

It may not be '97 all over again, but it could still be really special. Frickin' UConn won the national title 2 years ago after going 9-9 in conference.

UConn has a sustainable program so it's a surprise when they don't have at least some post season success. We've never come close to achieving that status.

Just part of the Illinois game. Illinois played about how they did against us while we were dominating them. Horrible shot selection and a bunch of 1 v 1. Wisconsin looked the same as always, which is exactly what I expect from them this year. I just find it funny that all of a sudden people think they have a legitimate shot at the BT title just because they've beaten two crappy teams, one solid team that has played horribly lately, and one very good team who they randomly own the past two years. It would be absolutely shocking if Wisconsin won the regular season BT title.

Have you watched them play lately? They are playing like a machine. Mistake free and well disciplined. We have the horses, but them horses better clean up their play if they want to hang with WI. Should be interesting.

Just part of the Illinois game. Illinois played about how they did against us while we were dominating them. Horrible shot selection and a bunch of 1 v 1. Wisconsin looked the same as always, which is exactly what I expect from them this year. I just find it funny that all of a sudden people think they have a legitimate shot at the BT title just because they've beaten two crappy teams, one solid team that has played horribly lately, and one very good team who they randomly own the past two years. It would be absolutely shocking if Wisconsin won the regular season BT title.

Back in the non-conference part of the schedule I would have agreed with you however it seems like WI gained it's footing against Penn State and Nebraska then absolutely dismantled ILL and IND. It seems like the play of Jackson at PG has stabilized Bo's squad and allowed them to run his system. I don't necessarily believe that they will win the BIG, but from what I've seen the last 2 games from them there is nobody in the conference playing better now. If the Gophs play like they did against Mich it will be a long day at Kohl Center.

Back in the non-conference part of the schedule I would have agreed with you however it seems like WI gained it's footing against Penn State and Nebraska then absolutely dismantled ILL and IND. It seems like the play of Jackson at PG has stabilized Bo's squad and allowed them to run his system. I don't necessarily believe that they will win the BIG, but from what I've seen the last 2 games from them there is nobody in the conference playing better now. If the Gophs play like they did against Mich it will be a long day at Kohl Center.

I think for us to win at the Kohl Center the way Wisconsin is playing, Dre will have to go all Lawrence Westbrook, which he is definitely capable of doing on any night.

I wouldn't call beating Iowa and Nebraska at home and NW on the road bold predictions mac, as for sconnie, they barely beat Penn State and Nebraska and got our sloppy seconds with Illinois and as for Indiana, great win, but clearly IU was still thinking about the Minny win, it was the perfect let down game, lets see how they do at Iowa and against Sparty before anyone crowns them

I think for us to win at the Kohl Center the way Wisconsin is playing, Dre will have to go all Lawrence Westbrook, which he is definitely capable of doing on any night.

And that's precisely the problem. Because we don't have a sustainable program that is based on well proven offensive and defensive systems we have to rely on improbable performances to get big wins, particularly on the road. Westbrook was a nice player, but he never had a game even close to the one that he played at Kohl. Joe Coleman had 24 points in a half at Illinois. Unlikely to happen agen in a B1G game.

It will be interesting to see what happens against NU and WI. Both schools run great systems. NU has no talent and WI has less than usual.

Hopefully the Mich game was a wake up call for the Gophs......Need to get back to basics on Defense......That's where it all starts.

I don't get how some people on here aren't angry with the Mich loss and are defending the team. We were favored by 3 at home, and the game wasn't close after the first half. If we want to be a great team, you have to be able to beat great teams, especially on your home court.

I don't get how some people on here aren't angry with the Mich loss and are defending the team. We were favored by 3 at home, and the game wasn't close after the first half. If we want to be a great team, you have to be able to beat great teams, especially on your home court.

Maybe we aren't a great team? Maybe we are just a good team? Just because this is tubbys best team since he's been here doesn't mean we are automatically better than everyone else. There is always someone better and so far its been top 5 teams

Maybe we aren't a great team? Maybe we are just a good team? Just because this is tubbys best team since he's been here doesn't mean we are automatically better than everyone else. There is always someone better and so far its been top 5 teams

If the Gophers aren't number 1 and national champs we should fire Tubby and hire Coach K. Probably force Andre to transfer at years end too. Give Norwood the axe also. Everyone must go.

Tubby did throw the guys under the bus after the game saying that the starters had a bad practice on Wednesday and that carried over to the game on Thursday. He also said something to the effect of Austin Hollins is the one guy who comes to work every day.

I agree with those that say the effort was lacking (especially defensively) on Thursday. The Gophers didn't do a good job getting back on D, and they allowed Michigan to shoot a ridiculous efg% on shots that were not blocked (hat tip to GW for the stat on his Twitter).

That said, I am a little tired of Tubby pointing fingers at his players when his teams disappointing losses seem to follow the same pattern. The team had too many turnovers and went a ridiculous amount of game time without scoring a fg...sound familiar? The line change in the first half is usually a disaster and that points to both coaching strategy and lack of recruiting success. Tubby does usually do a great job of getting his team to play hard though, so I can see why he might have had a hard time biting his lip after that game.

Top Bottom