River Flats - Tailgating

It was a paved parking lot back in the day when there was no appreciation for the river or environment. This is also pre new covered Washington avenue bridge as there was no west bank buildings then.

It was a paved parking lot back in the day when there was no appreciation for the river or environment. This is also pre new covered Washington avenue bridge as there was no west bank buildings then.
I'm thinking even when I arrived on campus in '74 it was still a paved parking lot used for student parking and parking for the showboat. I remember I use to park on the west flats because it was cheaper. Maybe $1. 2 gallons of gas back then.

I'm thinking even when I arrived on campus in '74 it was still a paved parking lot used for student parking and parking for the showboat. I remember I use to park on the west flats because it was cheaper. Maybe $1. 2 gallons of gas back then.
I know the East bank riverflats in that was grass in the late 70s.

It's crazy to me how that was back in the days, but it makes sense as along the river was very industrial for a lots of older cities / not the place you want to be.

Still I grew up along a big river and it was awesome / a big focus for recreation and such. Then I come to the twin cities and downtown had swaths of abandoned riverfront space...

Any word on if tailgating will be allowed at the Flats this year?

Below is from the park website: https://www.minneapolisparks.org/parks__destinations/parking-information/#event-parking-tab

Tailgating at East River Flats​

For the Fall 2020 Gopher Football season, parking will be allowed in the parking lot only. MPRB Maintenance staff have installed bollards and placed rocks as part of our approved plan to prevent vehicle traffic in the grass. Standard activities associated with Tailgating will be allowed, though no MPRB staff will be on site. Parking is first come – first serve, with payment via the Pay Station (coin/credit card) or the MplsParking/ParkMobile app (no cash payments).

The MPRB has an approved plan for permitting tailgating independently of parking (single game or season pass options) for next season. The most recent decision on U of M Football has come too late for staff to further prepare the site and develop permit options in accordance with the approved plan. Staffing impacts related to COVID-19 make this program difficult to launch at this time.

Looks like they were going to not allow it in 2020, but have a "plan" to allow it this season...

Heres an interstign idea for tailgating....and i got it from tennessee as they do this all around their stadium....

simply close down some of the streets and make it a pavilion walkway and party area. like close down the street in front of Williams/Mariucci? Is that stupid?

Heres an interstign idea for tailgating....and i got it from tennessee as they do this all around their stadium....

simply close down some of the streets and make it a pavilion walkway and party area. like close down the street in front of Williams/Mariucci? Is that stupid?
They already close the street in front of Mariucci.....

sorry i meant the main street that runs between williams and mariucci

Top Bottom