River Flats - Tailgating

Reaction score
Thinking of tailgating at the River Flats for the first game. Do you think they will allow it?

Believe Minneapolis says no plus Not sure you want to be there at night under the current climate of crime.....

Not that I'd be worried about tailgating at the flats, but there are 3+ robberies in and around the U every week that I get emails about.
I think those emails create a really distorted view of risks and etc when folks go from no info to being emailed about every single event.

I think those emails create a really distorted view of risks and etc when folks go from no info to being emailed about every single event.
That's a fair point, but I have been getting these emails for 10 years and (with no hard data to go on) I have thought that this year there have been more robberies than in prior years.

Sounds about same as when my daughter attended the U from 2015 to 2019. Off campus the crime rate has always been there but on campus with all the cameras the crime is very low according to the police. We are talking about South Minneapolis here so it is always a good idea to be cautious.

Sounds about same as when my daughter attended the U from 2015 to 2019. Off campus the crime rate has always been there but on campus with all the cameras the crime is very low according to the police. We are talking about South Minneapolis here so it is always a good idea to be cautious.
Your right that I don't see anything about people being robbed or assaulted on campus. The reports normally mention Dinkytown and Stadium Village. Rarely do I recall seeing one in the Como neighborhood.

Thinking of tailgating at the River Flats for the first game. Do you think they will allow it?
I looked at the Park Board website and they didn't mention anywhere on the homepage or on the East River Flats page that it was closed or activities were curtailed in anyway. My gut says they would tell you to leave, but I doubt anyone from the Park Board would be there anyways.

I looked at the Park Board website and they didn't mention anywhere on the homepage or on the East River Flats page that it was closed or activities were curtailed in anyway. My gut says they would tell you to leave, but I doubt anyone from the Park Board would be there anyways.
There's some sort of permit thing so if all else fails they could try that ;)

That's a fair point, but I have been getting these emails for 10 years and (with no hard data to go on) I have thought that this year there have been more robberies than in prior years.
Both of my kids currently attend the U and they have shared the notifications with me from time to time. The criminals are getting more brazen, and the crime scenes are getting closer to campus, with some being technically on campus. I tell them to be cautious anywhere near the U...same as any place they should go.

I do not know why any person could not set up shop in the River Flats Park for the game and stay there in a tent. or just pass out in the grass as long as you might desire. Based on the precedents set recently set there should be zero law enforcement response. If there is a barricade, just drive around it.

You also can probably smoke pot openly, sell some drugs, hire or pimp some women, drink all day, and crap wherever you want. That is the current standard operating procedure in some of the MPLS Park properties, such as the Midway Greenway right now.

One more bonus, don't worry about taking out your trash, you can just leave it on the ground, just like your turds, and even bring in more junk from home you do not need and just leave it there.

As an added bonus, steal some potted plants, lawn chairs, umbrellas from nearby residents and businesses and use them at the tailgate, then throw the in the river later. You can use the stolen bicycles to ride up to TCF, OK strike that part.

Just like all over Minneapolis there will be zero law enforcement response, I am sure.

Last time I was at the flats the Rogues framed my people for a murder we didn't commit and we had to fight our way all the way to dinky town all mad max style... then we met up with Snake Plissken and went to the game.

I doubt they're going to let people drive out on the grass. But otherwise, I assume the park will be open "as usual". There is a small parking lot there, which you can pay the hourly rate to park.

Technically you're not supposed to drink in city parks ... but I think it's more the spirit that counts? If you're following the rules/laws, they're not going to kick you out for having a BBQ. There are even a few standalone bbq pits out there for people to use (bring your own charcoal).

If you are going to bring booze, then I guess you'll be at the mercy of the Park Patrol. If they're having a good day, and you're not being stupid, perhaps they'll look the other way. Hopefully, at worst they'd tell you to pack it up and leave.

Top Bottom