Rhule accepts Carolina Job

Again, I just can’t see Fleck in the NFL. That doesn’t play to his strengths. He’s a (gimmicky, sorry but he is) motivational speaker and a salesman. That’s college.

Yep, the big three: Penn State, USA Gymnastics/Michigan St, and Baylor.

Heard the first few radio interviews with Rhule. He is a dead ringer for Fleck in conversation. You would think he was Fleck with a few Row the Boats thrown in. I wouldn't have thought this culture would translate to the Pros. Guess we will see.

I had dinner tonight with a buddy of mine that is a Baylor alum. He is convinced that Fleck will be Baylor's next head coach. I laughed at his claim. Typical dude that knows nothing about the Twin Cities, I couldn't convince him how small Waco is compared to Mpls-St Paul. Some many just don't get it. Fleck would never leave MN for Waco, right?

That's Saban money.

Dabo - $9.3
Saban - $8.8
Rhule - $8.6
Harbaugh- $7.5
Fisher - $7.5
Smart - $6.9
Malzahn - $6.8

If that's the new market, I don't think we can hold onto PJ. I'd be all for it, but it'd be a tough sell in our state.

Coaches salaries and expectations have exploded in recent years. The money they are getting is off the charts and keeps growing but the tradeoff is that guys are getting let go after just a couple of seasons if they don't win right away.

There is a point where college teams will tap out and say they just can't go any higher but I don't know what that point is. And it isn't just the head coach money that is exploding, coordinators and position coaches are getting huge bumps as well. So the total cost of the coaching staff is going through the roof at schools all over the country.

I had dinner tonight with a buddy of mine that is a Baylor alum. He is convinced that Fleck will be Baylor's next head coach. I laughed at his claim. Typical dude that knows nothing about the Twin Cities, I couldn't convince him how small Waco is compared to Mpls-St Paul. Some many just don't get it. Fleck would never leave MN for Waco, right?

It would be a really odd move, especially if Fleck truly values being the only power 5 team in the state. Every fanbase seems to think Fleck is going to be their next coach no matter how foolish the idea seems to be.

But as long as it is just unsubstantiated rumors from fans or media types we should all just brush it off and enjoy actually having an in demand coach for a change.

I trust Coyle to do what needs to be done in order to keep Fleck happy here.

The next Baylor coach, whoever it is, will not last a full four years.

That would be a lateral move, at best. And for what? To start over on building up a program, when you've built up Minnesota now?

It would be one thing if Fleck grew up in Texas and wanted to get back home. But that's not at all the case.

I don't even know if UT is in a good enough position to land Fleck. TA&M wouldn't ... way too hard to win in the SEC West.

Last edited:

I trust Coyle to do what needs to be done in order to keep Fleck happy here.
Coyle will review Fleck’s contract annually, and if warranted offer a raise and an extension. I expect Fleck will always be on at least a 7 year contract.

Coaches salaries and expectations have exploded in recent years. The money they are getting is off the charts and keeps growing but the tradeoff is that guys are getting let go after just a couple of seasons if they don't win right away.

There is a point where college teams will tap out and say they just can't go any higher but I don't know what that point is. And it isn't just the head coach money that is exploding, coordinators and position coaches are getting huge bumps as well. So the total cost of the coaching staff is going through the roof at schools all over the country.

There is danger in these inflated salaries.

Top Bottom