Reusse rips Gopher Hole - what a shock!

Rick Mons "creator of the This thread post" was the moniker of MNSnowman, and I believe he started the "bitter end club". I don't recall widespread joining or the hysteria that all would be apart of the bitter end club as Reusse "Fulda the Hut" claims. Quite a few folks in this town leave early to "beat the traffic". You will notice this at all levels of sporting events in Minnesota not just blowout Gopher games. This mass exodus is not unique to Gopher football, don't know why Reusse got so wound up about this on the radio, this pledge was never a huge deal. I stay because I paid for the ticket, and I enjoy the game even if it is a blowout.

Reusse and many of his cronies are part of what's wrong with football program in general. It's always easy to be a
half full guy and crap on everything anyone says or does, but to write something in the positive would just be to much
for Mr. Reusse. This isn't to say I expect every article to be some rah rah drival either, I just would like to see the articles
be around 50 percent positive?

if everyone one this board dislikes him so much why is pretty much everything he says or writes ends up on this board?

he is getting everything he wants out of it. a reaction from people on this board which he just sits back and laughs about.

and this complete disdain for the media in this town is too funny. just comes off as whining. why does the media have to be homers anyway?

What are you talking about? Reusse aims his bile at gopher fans and GHers specifically and you wonder why people post rebutals??? And show me more than a couple posters on this board that have "complete disdain for the media". Lumping people into groups for the sake of making blanket criticisms is a habit of Reusse's you shouldn't emulate. And criticism of his mean-spirited writing style is a far cry from expecting sports writers to be homers, another thing I don't believe is promoted on this board.

Your post, well, sorry but it sucked.

Sounds like we stepped on a raw-Reusse nerve. Feel really bad about that. I hope it was my fault.

What are you talking about? Reusse aims his bile at gopher fans and GHers specifically and you wonder why people post rebutals??? And show me more than a couple posters on this board that have "complete disdain for the media". Lumping people into groups for the sake of making blanket criticisms is a habit of Reusse's you shouldn't emulate. And criticism of his mean-spirited writing style is a far cry from expecting sports writers to be homers, another thing I don't believe is promoted on this board.

Your post, well, sorry but it sucked.

Sounds like we stepped on a raw-Reusse nerve. Feel really bad about that. I hope it was my fault.

it is clear from your post that you have selective reading skills. the flow chart over in the thread about the game day crew and the kill website is an accurate picture of you.

it is clear from your post that you have selective reading skills. the flow chart over in the thread about the game day crew and the kill website is an accurate picture of you.

I reply to your post, you ignore mine. So much for selective reading skills.

I'm really tired of the miserable sports media people who have been around for over..

half a century in this town.

But, nature is going to start taking control of the situation and there will be some "lay-aways" happening on the local sports writing scene. Some of these jokers have been here for too long already. The clock is ticking for many of those hacks just as the time is ticking for many of us old Gopher Fans, myself included.

One of these days we won't have some of them to kick around and/or they won't have some of us to kick around. Time waits for NO fan...or sports media member. It's all good.

So, post while you have the time...you NEVER know what tomorrow will bring. Say it now...before it's too late. That goes for the sports media as well as old Gopher Fans. Give 'em hell!

; 0 )

I attribute all of Reusse's cantankerous rantings to watching professional sports in this town slide right down the crapper. From Mike Lynn trading for Herschel Walker to Forty-plus years of miserable Golden Gopher Football to The North Stars leaving town and The Twins winning two World Series and now being nearly a 100 loss team. All this would be would grate on your nerves with out Grandpa Sports trying to spin it to be something good.

I cut Reusse vastly more slack than I would Grandpa Sports in the curmudgeon department.

I don't get why things like this become an issue. They left early, they didn't leave early...who cares? It's about the performance! The Nebraska first team could have left at halftime and they did in the 3rd quarter. I don't get leaving a game early that your team has any chance of winning, but if you want to find something positve to do for 45 minutes to an hour instead of spending that time watching a non-competitive game? Go ahead. I am sure a lot of GopherHolers left, but I believe those who make it a point to stay to the end every week, probably did stay to the end.

Did Reusse address his loving Jerry Kill because the both pronounce tour the same way (turrrrrrrr) and then deciding he was a high school coach 4-5 games in? That to me would make him a fraud...

That's not true at all. This isn't a "minor flaw", his argument has a flaw as big as the flaw in the Titanic. Reusse can't make any conclusions about the whether or not Gopherholers in particular left early based on the fact that Gopher fans in general left early.

That's not true at all. This isn't a "minor flaw", his argument has a flaw as big as the flaw in the Titanic. Reusse can't make any conclusions about the whether or not Gopherholers in particular left early based on the fact that Gopher fans in general left early.

my post you replied to is not a reference to anything Reusse wrote.

I was referring to another poster indicating that there isn't a dislike for the media in this town by the majoity of this board. which is something I don't agree with thus the "selective reading" of threads.

in fact there is a whole thread about running certain memebers of the media out of town.

Here is how I solved all pi$$ing contests between my kids when they were little and arguing...

1. Take one stick of gum.

2. They choose who would cut it in half.

3. The other got to pick the half that he/she wanted.

Worked everytime.

Anyone remember the student section shirts that had slogans on the back like, "Bring a friend" and "Stay til the end of the game!"? LOL.

my post you replied to is not a reference to anything Reusse wrote.

I was referring to another poster indicating that there isn't a dislike for the media in this town by the majoity of this board. which is something I don't agree with thus the "selective reading" of threads.

in fact there is a whole thread about running certain memebers of the media out of town.

And IMO you are trying to trivialize my/our dislike for Reusse's writing by making it a "well they just don't like anyone" argument, which simply isn't true. Read a few threads started for other writers/articles. And I don't see that anyone expects the Minnesota sports writers to be homers.

But associating me with the flowchart made for another high quality post. Well done.

And IMO you are trying to trivialize my/our dislike for Reusse's writing by making it a "well they just don't like anyone" argument, which simply isn't true. Read a few threads started for other writers/articles. And I don't see that anyone expects the Minnesota sports writers to be homers.

But associating me with the flowchart made for another high quality post. Well done.

It's been a tough year - but can't us Gopher fans just get along? Let's focus our poisen on Iowa!

Sorry, it's not in my nature to acquiesce to a punk like Reusse or his minions.

Fulda Gap

The twinkies had a pretty darn MISERABLE year this year. They were incredibly pathetic. They will have many more extremely pathetic years going into the future. Joe Mauer fleeced those pohlad boys pretty badly. He calls in sick ALL the time.

It's also fun realizing that the vikings season is ALL over. That is one pretty miserable nfl team...and the nfl rewards the losers.

The t-pukers will suck as usual.

And, that nhl hockey thing will not be too wild again this year.

It is time to go to war with the pro teams...and the media members who are bought and paid for by the pro teams.

The ancient sports media people, of which reusse claims to be a member will start losing a few members as one by one age catches them. Just as aging Gopher Fans (of which I am a member) will also have health concerns and issues. "Mother Earth will swallow us all, eventually..." One good goal for this old ancient Gopher Fan vs. the ancient professional ball club owned sports media people will be the goal to survive a few days longer than the enemy (and, the professional ball club owned sports media people ARE the enemy)you know...the reusee types of the sports media world... so that this old Gopher Fan can post at least one more time after reusse's on his nose to contrast that cheap shotter's last blast at the Gophs.

You're going down reusse: I Just may get the last contrast to your cheap-shots in yet!
And, if I don't: I'll just tell you in advance that you really did get under the skin of a lot of the mobbers and bashers and assorted young punks around here... but, THAT isn't too hard to do...in fact, it's pretty easy. When the going gets tough...they are usually long gone...

At least the fulda bad guy has always been the fulda bad guy. He has always been consistantly the fulda bad guy. Someone you can count on. But, he HAS been around far too long. Half a century of fulda bad...the very worst fulda could give is just too much...

; 0 )

imthewalrus,

1. He should have joined the Army. We could have put him to good use plugging the Fulda Gap in Germany.

I'm starting to change my mind, 6 Nov 1999...I think I am starting to get a real kick out of the way that reusse uses his "fulda bad..." to really irk and get under the skin of quite a few people around here. A number of them really do deserve pretty much everything that is said and perhaps each and every one of them know exactly who they are. Some of them really are deserving of "...the reusse rip..." The football program is facing, perhaps it's GREATEST challenge, and unless posltive progress is made, we may be at a point of no return. And, we have this brand new prexy k to lead the battle to regain the ability to be competetive, worth watching/buying tickets for and becoming relevent on campus, in the Big Ten Conference and within the state of Minnesota, at least.

Go cautiously in evaluating this new president of the Universiity of Minnesota. I will believe that he is capable of doing what needs to be done at the U only when I see proof positive that will result in ever increasing graduation rates, running a completely honest and clean program, and winning significnt numbers of Big Ten Football Games. The same is true for Men's Basketball and Men's Hockey.

I would also like to see the rankings of both the undergraduate and graduate academic standings increasing and the Research Department thriving and bringing in LOTS of GRANTS.

He also needs to beef up the Institutions Endowment Funds. A university or a college is pretty much dead in the water unless the endowments are invested well...and are constantly growing.

It remains to be seen if prexy k will have the ability to accomplish all that prexy k will need to accomplish at the University of Minnesota. I hope he can do it...BUT...he will have to show me that he can succeed.

The most unfortunate thing about Reusse is that he is actually a pretty good writer when he wants to be. It's really too bad that he's resorted to this lowly, click-driven drivel. Also, I don't know who had the genius idea to put this guy on the radio, but I hope they pay for it in the afterlife -- he sounds like 48 hours of no sleep and 3,576 Marlboro Reds. It's truly grating stuff.

Actually, for all of you who like to rip on Reusse's voice, it's the result of an illness he had as a teenager where he nearly died (the croup or pneumonia if I recall). I find it ironic that the same bunch of people who like to trash on firejerrykill.com for making fun of Limegrover being morbidly obese have no issue doing the same thing about Reusse. Bunch of hypocrites.

Actually, for all of you who like to rip on Reusse's voice, it's the result of an illness he had as a teenager where he nearly died (the croup or pneumonia if I recall). I find it ironic that the same bunch of people who like to trash on firejerrykill.com for making fun of Limegrover being morbidly obese have no issue doing the same thing about Reusse. Bunch of hypocrites.

You have no problem with FireJerryKill.com, but get outraged when someone mocks Reusse. You're the hypocrite.

Regents of the University of Minnesota

I'm starting to change my mind, 6 Nov 1999...I think I am starting to get a real kick out of the way that reusse uses his "fulda bad..." to really irk and get under the skin of quite a few people around here. A number of them really do deserve pretty much everything that is said and perhaps each and every one of them know exactly who they are. Some of them really are deserving of "...the reusse rip..." The football program is facing, perhaps it's GREATEST challenge, and unless posltive progress is made, we may be at a point of no return. And, we have this brand new prexy k to lead the battle to regain the ability to be competetive, worth watching/buying tickets for and becoming relevent on campus, in the Big Ten Conference and within the state of Minnesota, at least.

Go cautiously in evaluating this new president of the Universiity of Minnesota. I will believe that he is capable of doing what needs to be done at the U only when I see proof positive that will result in ever increasing graduation rates, running a completely honest and clean program, and winning significnt numbers of Big Ten Football Games. The same is true for Men's Basketball and Men's Hockey.

I would also like to see the rankings of both the undergraduate and graduate academic standings increasing and the Research Department thriving and bringing in LOTS of GRANTS.

He also needs to beef up the Institutions Endowment Funds. A university or a college is pretty much dead in the water unless the endowments are invested well...and are constantly growing.

It remains to be seen if prexy k will have the ability to accomplish all that prexy k will need to accomplish at the University of Minnesota. I hope he can do it...BUT...he will have to show me that he can succeed.

imthewalrus,

1. My concerns center around what degrees of freedom President Kaler really does have. Is the Regents of the University of Minnesota the main source of the damage done to this great research / land grant university? Years ago a decision was made by "Friends of the Soviet Union" to decline all Federally funded classified research from the Department of Defense (DoD). Now how dumb was that? This decision pretty much coincided with the last of our Nobel and Pulitzer Prize winners. We went from a preeminent research university in the 1950s / 1960s to a lunch pail state university. The DoD / DoE research money which was ours for the taking was simply vectored to other research universities. Note that the University of California at Berkeley, for all of its anti war and liberal thinking, was never stupid enough to decline DoD / DoE classified research money. Lawrence Livermore and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratories are cases in point. The UC Berkeley Physics department is preeminent, ours used to be, where are we now?

2. Dr. Kaler at SUNY Stonybrook, with their relationship to Brookhaven National Laboratory, understands the significance of DoD / DoE research funding. Can he get some of this money vectored back to us after it has long since left for the University of Texas (along with our Physics department faculty)? He might get some of it back, but once the barn door was opened, it is tough to reverse history.

3. I believe much if not most of the credit for these stupid "self inflicted wound" decisions lie with the Regents of the University of Minnesota. Unfortunately, stupid decisions by "Friends of the Soviet Union" made 30 and 40 years ago have generated cascading casualties for our great University of Minnesota. Or does the credit lie exclusively with Malcolm Moos and C. Peter McGrath? I don't know, but I think it would make for an interesting Masters thesis or Ph.D. dissertation by some aspiring young historian or political scientist at the University of Minnesota.

4. The University of Minnesota appears to be trying to regain its preeminent research status by wh0ring itself out to the Pharmaceutical Industry. I am not sure I like this approach. It remains to be seen how successful this approach is, and whether a firewall can be established between this research institution and an industry which pays billions of dollars in fines to the Federal Government for various violations connected with improper branding and application of their often improperly tested drugs.

5. It is time the Regents of the University of Minnesota were held accountable for the ship of state University of Minnesota. I hope somebody will research this and expose what has been going on behind their closed doors for the last 4 decades.

You have no problem with FireJerryKill.com, but get outraged when someone mocks Reusse. You're the hypocrite.

Good lord. The thin skin on this forum is unbelievable.
I don't care if you and your maroon-colored glasses wearing pollyannas don't like Reusse. I'm certainly not outraged.
Simply pointing out that a bunch of people who get their tighty whiteys in a bunch about a site making fun of the appearance of a coach or player, ought not be making fun of the appearances of others. Pot meeting kettle and all that.

You know why people say and write negative things about this team and program? Because they've stunk for 40 plus years.

Well, which illness was it?

What thin skin? You're the one ranting about hypocricy, but when you're called on your own, it is totally different. And what maroon colored glasses? He claimed that Gopherholers in particular didn't stay till the end because Gopher fans in general didn't stay till the end. You don't need maroon colored glasses to see that, it is just basic logic.

Simply pointing out that a bunch of people who get their tighty whiteys in a bunch about a site making fun of the appearance of a coach or player, ought not be making fun of the appearances of others. Pot meeting kettle and all that.

Take your own advice.

Well, which illness was it?

I don't remember. He and Soucheray discussed it one day on the old SMST show. It was serious enough that they really figured he was going to die. I think he was about 15 or so when it happened.

I don't remember. He and Soucheray discussed it one day on the old SMST show. It was serious enough that they really figured he was going to die. I think he was about 15 or so when it happened.

But not serious enough for you to remember. Gotcha

I guess I didn't think it was information that I would need to use to defend a point to some jackwagons on a message board.

How did I miss. Reusse's voice is due to a childhood illness, or at least he said so on the radio one day.
That I couldn't remember what exactly it was doesn't discount that.
This isn't some kind of debate team competition.

I can't believe how much you people here let him get under your skin. The team has sucked for 40 years. Bad coaching. Rotten players, poor fan support. That someone dares point this out on a regular basis in a major newspaper just rankles all of you. You spend all this time worried about a journalist (and a successful one at that), instead of worrying about why everything he says is true and how to change that.

Top Bottom