Reusse on TCF Atmosphere Story Headline: "Honeymoon with U football dying of apathy"

Couldn't agree more. Reusse hit the nail on the head here.

Too bad I won't ever click one of his links again. Wish he would just retire.

I don't like him, but he's right on this one. Minnesotans will always find an excuse.

Couldn't agree more. Reusse hit the nail on the head here.

This. "We have met the enemy and it is us". He doesn't blame the U or ask for a lot of giveaways. Wonder how well it will go around here?

For those of us who went to the USC game, the difference is painfully obvious.

The primary difference in the atmosphere surrounding the whole event is tailgating. But I want to talk about a magical ^%$ing thing that doesn't even dawn on half the people around here most of the time. And I'm not even talking about vehicles or parking or anything like that.

At USC, if there is a patch of grass - you have a party. You throw up a little tent or overhang or whatever, maybe a cooler full of chilled beverages, a grill and table. Some chairs. For free. Yes folks, this is on campus, within sight of the stadium perhaps, or perhaps tucked away behind the building you took Psychology or Calculus in twenty or so years ago.

We, like USC, have a beautiful urban campus with some very nice open spaces for tailgating. Some of them in the shade, some in the sun. Some in a parking lot, some on the Mall. Every corner of USC campus had folks set up shop and party. Every thirty feet there was a different tent, a different grill, a different array of beverages. Maybe a stereo with tunes. Maybe a tv with an early game on. Young kids in jerseys throwing a mini-football around while their parents sat around socializing with people from the next tent - meeting other people - making friends - finding more reasons to come back the next week, or the next season. There was a group of maybe 6 or 7 ancient looking fellows with their instruments playing fight songs for the student-aged guys and gals who cheered them on (some a bit inebriated, some perfectly fine).

With about a half hour or so before game time, they packed up their stuff, hauled it back to their cars, some in lots, some in ramps- and then hiked on over to the the stadium to watch the game, and afterwards many of them went back home, but a large portion of them simply resumed the party.

There is no reason why this shouldn't be allowed to happen here. They need to loosen the regulations on tailgating - and not just in the tailgating lots. Our campus needs to be opened up to the football fans - that's why we wanted to move back on campus in the first place, right?

For those of us who went to the USC game, the difference is painfully obvious.

The primary difference in the atmosphere surrounding the whole event is tailgating. But I want to talk about a magical ^%$ing thing that doesn't even dawn on half the people around here most of the time. And I'm not even talking about vehicles or parking or anything like that.

At USC, if there is a patch of grass - you have a party. You throw up a little tent or overhang or whatever, maybe a cooler full of chilled beverages, a grill and table. Some chairs. For free. Yes folks, this is on campus, within sight of the stadium perhaps, or perhaps tucked away behind the building you took Psychology or Calculus in twenty or so years ago.

We, like USC, have a beautiful urban campus with some very nice open spaces for tailgating. Some of them in the shade, some in the sun. Some in a parking lot, some on the Mall. Every corner of USC campus had folks set up shop and party. Every thirty feet there was a different tent, a different grill, a different array of beverages. Maybe a stereo with tunes. Maybe a tv with an early game on. Young kids in jerseys throwing a mini-football around while their parents sat around socializing with people from the next tent - meeting other people - making friends - finding more reasons to come back the next week, or the next season. There was a group of maybe 6 or 7 ancient looking fellows with their instruments playing fight songs for the student-aged guys and gals who cheered them on (some a bit inebriated, some perfectly fine).

With about a half hour or so before game time, they packed up their stuff, hauled it back to their cars, some in lots, some in ramps- and then hiked on over to the the stadium to watch the game, and afterwards many of them went back home, but a large portion of them simply resumed the party.

There is no reason why this shouldn't be allowed to happen here. They need to loosen the regulations on tailgating - and not just in the tailgating lots. Our campus needs to be opened up to the football fans - that's why we wanted to move back on campus in the first place, right?

This, and USC is far from unique in this regard.

As much as it pains me to say it he nailed the problem. Same thing is happening over at the barn. Everyone likes to complain about the lack of tailgating around the stadium but it's not like the people in those lots are doing it up. Half the spots go unused or people show up 15 minutes before kickoff. Also, being miles away from the stadium didn't stop all the damn NDSU fans from taking over the St. Paul lots and having a good time from what I heard.

I don't like him, but he is right. I had the opportunity to go to a Central Florida game vs. UTEP last year during winter break and it was a better party atmosphere for sure. Also I grew up in Madison (yes I am a die-hard Gopher fan) and it is an event. There is no reason we can't have that here. We can't tell others not to be fair weather fans, but we as good fans can go to the game and yell our asses off and party hard.

I hate to say it - but Reusse is correct this time. Create your atmosphere. Students....Get out of bed for the 11AM games and support your damn team!

I posted on his article, but it isn't really as simple as that. For the students in the dorms they have nowhere to go to party. Nowhere that allows alcohol in public, and there's no way they can afford any tailgate spots. Would be booted off any patch of ground on campus. A vast majority of other students near campus live in apartments with limited space.

I 100% agree that GOING to the game should be the goal even without a party before. But the result at the stadium is a drab atmosphere with far too much advertising, limited student involvement, and a poor product on the field (the best/first, season was a 6-7 one). We had seen a 1-11 season not long before that and 2x 3-9 seasons after. I don't give excuses for why we can't find 8,000-10,000 students from a 40,000 student body of undergrads/grads, but these have definitely factored in to it.

Ultimately I blame all parties. The students and fans for not showing up to support their team 7 times a year (especially students for only $91 a season) and simply having fun while doing it. The city for putting up roadblocks wherever possible for a rockin' urban collegiate football environment - noise rules, not blocking off roads for band/tailgating, strict tailgating rules for private institutions, and much more. The U for not doing everything in their power to MAKE an environment students and fans alike will want to come to, before/during/after the game. Yes, the stadium is gorgeous, our band is great, the scoreboard is huge, and the skyline is amazing. But people will only go for the brick and mortar so many times if the event of it isn't accessible and fun. Oh, and if the product on the field has been bad for 40 years with maybe 8 seasons of mediocre sprinkled in. And we have 12,367 other things going on in this city including all 4 major pro sports. And MANY fans of competing D1 schools in this city (Iowa, Wisc, UND, NDSU) that will never become Gopher fans. It all factors in to play and Reusse is just trying to rabble-rouse and place blame on only a small party involved.

Personally, I think the atmosphere debate comes down to two things:winning and us as fans. I have no chance in helping coach Kill win any games on the field but I can go out and have a good time. I will be there every Saturday bright and early (yes dear I want to be in the lot at 7:00am) setting up the canopy, the grill , the tv and putting the beer on ice. See ya Saturdays!

I posted on his article, but it isn't really as simple as that. For the students in the dorms they have nowhere to go to party. Nowhere that allows alcohol in public, and there's no way they can afford any tailgate spots. Would be booted off any patch of ground on campus. A vast majority of other students near campus live in apartments with limited space.

I 100% agree that GOING to the game should be the goal even without a party before. But the result at the stadium is a drab atmosphere with far too much advertising, limited student involvement, and a poor product on the field (the best/first, season was a 6-7 one). We had seen a 1-11 season not long before that and 2x 3-9 seasons after. I don't give excuses for why we can't find 8,000-10,000 students from a 40,000 student body of undergrads/grads, but these have definitely factored in to it.

Ultimately I blame all parties. The students and fans for not showing up to support their team 7 times a year (especially students for only $91 a season) and simply having fun while doing it. The city for putting up roadblocks wherever possible for a rockin' urban collegiate football environment - noise rules, not blocking off roads for band/tailgating, strict tailgating rules for private institutions, and much more. The U for not doing everything in their power to MAKE an environment students and fans alike will want to come to, before/during/after the game. Yes, the stadium is gorgeous, our band is great, the scoreboard is huge, and the skyline is amazing. But people will only go for the brick and mortar so many times if the event of it isn't accessible and fun. Oh, and if the product on the field has been bad for 40 years with maybe 8 seasons of mediocre sprinkled in. And we have 12,367 other things going on in this city including all 4 major pro sports. And MANY fans of competing D1 schools in this city (Iowa, Wisc, UND, NDSU) that will never become Gopher fans. It all factors in to play and Reusse is just trying to rabble-rouse and place blame on only a small party involved.

+19

Too many people want one single answer. Find ways to promote. People attract people.

I agree with Reusse on this one. Another dent in the fender is the age of our fan base. We sit in section 142 and would say close to half the people in that section are 50 and over. They're not tailgaters. It is tough when you hear people say they have to get home because they forgot to take their medication.

And we have 12,367 other things going on in this city including all 4 major pro sports. And MANY fans of competing D1 schools in this city (Iowa, Wisc, UND, NDSU) that will never become Gopher fans. It all factors in to play and Reusse is just trying to rabble-rouse and place blame on only a small party involved.

My wife is not from here and she would say this to this comment. "Spoken like someone that has never spent any time outside of MPLS/STP." Guess what, people hunt all over this beautiful country and the weather is the same in many areas that get better attendance. Most of the obstacles that people mention are petty and with a rush of passionate fans would be overcome.

Personally, I don't believe it is just a football problem. Look at the Barn and Mariucci arena it seems we see the same thing. Empty seats here, empty seats there,I believe the U has a problem every where.

Sid just said part of the problem is 'the Gophers aren't on cco anymore'.

An article by Pat Reusse harkening back to the glory days at the U with a bunch of meaningless statistics as filler print! Gosh I haven't seen that before - he even mentioned Glen Mason! - Too bad though - he forgot to go back as far as Cal Stoll - he needs to go away with Sid - if a change is needed around the vibe of this program maybe those in the media who cover it (or clain to cover it) need to go first

Sid just said part of the problem is 'the Gophers aren't on cco anymore'.

This is not a part of the problem. Sid just thinks it is because the radio in his limo has 8-3-0 on all the presets. He doesn't know where to find any other stations.

Am I the only one that doesn't care whether other people go to Gopher games?

I guess the other people that don't care wouldn't click on this thread, but it just means nothing to me, and I don't really understand why anyone else cares either. I suppose at a macro level, the more support a program gets, the better they will be, but that's really stretching the power of a fan base in terms of deciding outcomes, and it always seems like a chicken-egg argument to me.

I just have too many other things to worry about in my life to care if someone I don't know is attending a sporting event. I don't see any of the revenue generated from those events and I don't know the individual reasons why other people choose not to attend Gopher games. Perhaps the money saved by not attending Gopher games is spent on other social ventures that I would equally like to see stay afloat like zoos, museums, or restaurants.

Some of this seems to be an extension of the weird Gopher inferiority complex when it comes to Iowa and Wisconsin, but I really don't care if they draw more fans than we do. There's more *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# to do in the Twin Cities than in Iowa City, and if people are exercising their options to make choices about where to spend their extra money, well, at least they have choices.

I guess the other people that don't care wouldn't click on this thread, but it just means nothing to me, and I don't really understand why anyone else cares either. I suppose at a macro level, the more support a program gets, the better they will be, but that's really stretching the power of a fan base in terms of deciding outcomes, and it always seems like a chicken-egg argument to me.

I just have too many other things to worry about in my life to care if someone I don't know is attending a sporting event. I don't see any of the revenue generated from those events and I don't know the individual reasons why other people choose not to attend Gopher games. Perhaps the money saved by not attending Gopher games is spent on other social ventures that I would equally like to see stay afloat like zoos, museums, or restaurants.

Some of this seems to be an extension of the weird Gopher inferiority complex when it comes to Iowa and Wisconsin, but I really don't care if they draw more fans than we do. There's more *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# to do in the Twin Cities than in Iowa City, and if people are exercising their options to make choices about where to spend their extra money, well, at least they have choices.

^

Considering the general public no, and you made a well reasoned argument why people shouldn't care. On a Gopher Football Fan Board? Yeah, you might be part of a small minority. Even the trolls and the "U" haters care. They just want there to be LESS people, not more. Interestingly enough, when Wren and company were confronted with the fact that there only 19,000 or so in the Dome for a Non-Conference game their response was "Good! We only want TRUE fans in there!". Their all consuming hatred for anybody who worked for the U always took precedence over the "kids" playing ball.

Take a look at the Comments section on the Ruesse article and you'll see his Anti-Administartion Crusade continuing.

Many of us would just like to see the 'U" do well and selflessly, it's a whole lot more fun being at a game full of people cheering with you. I even hope that Iowa and Wisconsin fans continue to show up at THEIR home field. Now whether you go to the game or not THAT I couldn't care less about. :cool:

Considering the general public no, and you made a well reasoned argument why people shouldn't care. On a Gopher Football Fan Board? Yeah, you might be part of a small minority. Even the trolls and the "U" haters care. They just want there to be LESS people, not more. Interestingly enough, when Wren and company were confronted with the fact that there only 19,000 or so in the Dome for a Non-Conference game their response was "Good! We only want TRUE fans in there!". Their all consuming hatred for anybody who worked for the U always took precedence over the "kids" playing ball.

Take a look at the Comments section on the Ruesse article and you'll see his Anti-Administartion Crusade continuing.

Many of us would just like to see the 'U" do well and selflessly, it's a whole lot more fun being at a game full of people cheering with you. I even hope that Iowa and Wisconsin fans continue to show up at THIER home field. Now whether you go to the game or not THAT I couldn't care less about. :cool:
Just to clarify, my point isn't that people shouldn't care, it's that I don't understand why they care. I'm about as ambivalent as one can be on the matter. If you go to the games, that's great. If you watch them on TV, that's great. If you don't like the Gophers, that's great (though I'm not sure why you're here).

I also would like to do see the U do well. But, that's just me; I don't really care if my neighbor would like to see the U do well. I get what you're saying about crowd atmosphere, but if the Gophers are winning, I don't really care if the student section isn't full, and if the Gophers are losing, I don't really care if it is.

I also don't care what wren or any of those other trolls say. I don't read the comments section on any article (seriously, stop doing this, it's bad for your mental health). Those people are about as irrelevant as anyone can possibly be.

Wow I agree with Reusse for once... I really hope the world isn't ending in December like the Mayans predicted before our Rose Bowl run this year!;)

If only we could get the U of M Marching Band to march down University Avenue again

Personally, I don't believe it is just a football problem. Look at the Barn and Mariucci arena it seems we see the same thing. Empty seats here, empty seats there,I believe the U has a problem every where.

1. In response to Nadine Babu’s post in the StarTribune and Patrick Reusse’s article, I feel compelled to repost the following. My apologies for recycling an old post, but some of it is new.
2. In the annals of NCAA Division 1A athletic directors, Joel Maturi’s leadership, decision making, and stewardship of the University of Minnesota revenue sports programs begs comparison and runs parallel with Herr Generalfeldmarschall Friedrich Wilhelm Ernst Paulus’ leadership, decision making, and stewardship of the much vaunted German Sixth Army.
3. Paulus suffered from fatal character flaws. His unwillingness or inability to defy Hitler’s idiotic orders to attack Stalingrad prematurely was then followed with an even weaker display of character and integrity through failing to protect his remaining troops in The Kessel (19 November 1942 – 31 January 1943) by breaking out of the Kessel. It meant defying Hitler’s idiotic order to hold Stalingrad at all cost. The result was total decimation of the German Sixth Army, which started out with some 300,000 troops of which only 6,000 survived the war.
4. In the case of the University of Minnesota Department of Intercollegiate Athletics (or whatever they are called today), it matters little whether the idiotic order to fire Glen Mason came from Robert Bruininks, Kathryn Brown (per Sid Hartman 10/01/2011), The Regents of the University of Minnesota, or whether this was a brain f@rt specially conjured up by Joel Maturi himself. What matters are the results. The results remind me of dropping ordnance on our own troops and killing them through “friendly fire.” We fragged ourselves through this horrible display of leadership.
5. Paulus likely would have been courts martialed by Hitler and probably executed for breaking out of “The Kessel,” but he would have saved tens of thousands of good German soldiers. A good leader puts the interests of those under his / her charge ahead of his / her own personal interests and personal safety. In Paulus’ case, he made two bad decisions, the first agreeing to prematurely attack Stalingrad, followed by an even worse one which would seal the fate of the German Sixth Army.
6. Joel Maturi’s horrible decision making, and his stubborn steadfast refusal to hold himself accountable for the irreparable damage he has perpetrated on University of Minnesota revenue sports, and the general reputation of the University of Minnesota is stupefying. If Robert Bruininks, Kathryn Brown (per Sid Hartman 10/01/2011), or The Regents of the University of Minnesota ordered Joel Maturi to fire Glen Mason, then Joel should have had the character and integrity to stand up to them, refuse the order, and tender his own resignation in protest. If the decision to fire Glen Mason was Joel Maturi’s and Joel’s alone, he should have resigned before he fired Tim Brewster, in acknowledgement of his own personal mistakes. He did neither.
7. Whose interests has Joel Maturi really been representing? The parties who have financially benefited the most from Joel’s actions are the owners of the NFL Vikings, sports gambling (organized crime), NBA Timberwolves, NHL Wild, MLB Twins, and WNBA Lynx in that order. The collapse of University of Minnesota revenue sports effectively emasculated and nullified ticket sales competition from the University of Minnesota. However, the suicidal decision by our Dear Leader (Joel Maturi, not Kim Jong-Il) to fire Glen Mason has set our football program back at least a decade, perhaps more. Perceptions are very important. If the football team loses 0 – 58, people remember that. They won’t remember that we have a great Chemical Engineering department. After enough humiliations, good students who want to be chemical engineers will choose a university that either has no football team, or a football team that is not a national embarrassment. Nobody, I repeat, nobody wants to be associated with a loser. Right now, the entire University is perceived as born losers by association with our revenue sports programs.
8. I don’t blame Tim Brewster like other people on this board do. He took the opportunity to earn 7 figures Joel handed him on a silver platter. Tim did not make a decision to be a poor football coach. He made a decision to take advantage of a once in a lifetime opportunity to become a millionaire.
9. I am sick and tired of people blaming the football coaches. Isn’t it Einstein who declared that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? The problem is not with our football coaches. The problem has been with Morrill Hall, The Regents of the University of Minnesota, and most recently their decision to select Joel Maturi to lead us into The Kessel. Thank God Joel did not go through ROTC at Notre Dame and did not lead men in battle in Vietnam.
10. Will Jerry Kill be able to “break out” of The Kessel, despite the “help” he has received from Morrill Hall, The Regents of the University of Minnesota, and Joel Maturi? I pray he will succeed.
11. Getting back to what might help game day atmosphere on Football Saturdays, try marching the University of Minnesota Marching Band down University Avenue again like they did when we had Memorial Stadium. This will be a very very tough fight, for the City of Minneapolis, owned and operated by corporate sports (a.k.a. organized crime) will do everything within their power to prevent anything which will result in a resurgence of interest in University of Minnesota revenue athletics which poses a direct threat to their revenue streams. They will use “noise pollution, traffic safety, proliferation of child pornography, etc.” as justification for banning a resumption of sending our U of M Marching Band down University Avenue again before the games. If we could win this huge battle, this is one tradition which would help the game day atmosphere, even when the team is losing. I don’t look for this to happen. Ziggy Wilf just got off the telephone with the mayor and his assistants called all the Minneapolis aldermen (does Minneapolis have aldermen?) instructing them to vote against this even before I finish typing and posting this.
12. While I am at it, the reason Joel Maturi continues to receive several hundreds of thousands of dollars in perks from the U of M is no doubt because he has Morrill Hall and the Regents blackmailed. He should have been thrown out the door. He made his millions and destroyed our respectability. This has to be “hush” money or “protection” money.

unfortunately, this is what people get when they elect neo-neighborhood activist association types like cam gordon of the freaking green party to represent this part of the city. the guy cares far more about what a small group of n.i.m.b.y., nosey, hippie, mostly sports-hating neighborhood association types want than what is best for the U of M overall and what is best for a game day experience/atmosphere.

get rid of activist tool bags like cam gordon and elect someone to the city council who is pro fun, entrepreneurial in spirit and who will fight for things that will enable a better and more party like game day atmosphere. as well as better opportunities for commerce to flourish on game days for small business and private parking lot owners.

have at me for hating on the green party and liberals. would say the same thing about a conservative who didn't support what is best of the U of M and for game days. just want to see someone finally elected to city council from that part of minneapolis that is not some looney, fringe, neighborhood activist type. i am quite certain that cam gordon could not give a sh!t about football (pee wee, high school, college or pro)

Top Bottom