Reusse on 2020 Gophs: "a lot of slow guys...Who takes the fault for that, Fleck-o-lytes, after his three full recruiting years"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat:

The Gophers lost that Michigan opener 49-24. They allowed 256 yards rushing to the Wolverines. The alibi was, "Well, it was Michigan." And then it turned out to be the worst Michigan team since Bo Schembechler arrived in Ann Arbor in 1969.

The other alibi was: "They have a lot of new guys on defense."

Yeah, and a lot of slow guys.

Who takes the fault for that, Fleck-o-lytes, after his three full recruiting years and a late arrival for a fourth?

A week later, that defense performed the feat of allowing 675 yards to Maryland. At season's end, the Gophers beat three bad teams (Illinois, Purdue, Nebraska), and lost to two bad teams (Maryland, Michigan), one subpar team (Wisconsin) and one good team (Iowa).

Go Gophers!!

per Pat:

The Gophers lost that Michigan opener 49-24. They allowed 256 yards rushing to the Wolverines. The alibi was, "Well, it was Michigan." And then it turned out to be the worst Michigan team since Bo Schembechler arrived in Ann Arbor in 1969.

The other alibi was: "They have a lot of new guys on defense."

Yeah, and a lot of slow guys.

Who takes the fault for that, Fleck-o-lytes, after his three full recruiting years and a late arrival for a fourth?

A week later, that defense performed the feat of allowing 675 yards to Maryland. At season's end, the Gophers beat three bad teams (Illinois, Purdue, Nebraska), and lost to two bad teams (Maryland, Michigan), one subpar team (Wisconsin) and one good team (Iowa).

Go Gophers!!
His opinion matters a lot to me.

Next year will supply better data...or at least one can hope on 12/29/20.

Last year wasn't optimal but this is college football. Last year was about the equivalent of a 6-6 or 7-5 type of season. It's not great, but it takes awhile to build a struggling program into one that just reloads every year. I hate Wisconsin, but we are now at a point with them where I just assume they'll reload on defense, OL and RB.

The Badgers won 10 games in 1993 and didn't win 10 games again until 1998. Yeah, we lost probably the best Gopher in my lifetime on defense, a top 5 offensive player in my lifetime on offense and 3 other NFL players on defense. I'm not surprised we took a bit of a step back.

Fat Pat has been around long enough to know that when we are critiquing the quality of our Big 10 wins, we are in a good place for Gopher football.

Some one should ask Reusse what a Fleck O Lyte is? Seriously this is the first time I have heard of ardent supporters being called that. Only Reusse would think anyone was apologist for this year without bringing up Coronavirus.

Will somebody look up the 40 times and/or Sparq scores for Willis, Gordon, Nubin, et al? Sori-Marin isn't an elite athlete. I doubt Aune is. Aside from that, in the back seven they're plenty fast.

Defense played slow? Absolutely.
Defense has a lot of slow players? Nope.

Gordon has (and showed at times) the speed and explosiveness you need to play LB in the Big Ten. I hope to see a lot more of him next season, along with Oliver.

MSM, I'm still not entirely sold on, but I cannot deny how he played the last two games. Good for him. He may end up being the starter in the middle for the entire season, simply because there is no one better to replace him. Though the transfer from FCS Texas will be interesting to watch.

Nubin and Howden were unwatchable at times, but I don't think it was because they're slow. I'm sure they're at least average in the speed department, as far as Big Ten starting safeties go. They just showed horrible angles and instincts, at times.

Will somebody look up the 40 times and/or Sparq scores for Willis, Gordon, Nubin, et al? Sori-Marin isn't an elite athlete. I doubt Aune is. Aside from that, in the back seven they're plenty fast.

Defense played slow? Absolutely.
Defense has a lot of slow players? Nope.
Correct.

Taking bad angles, having bad instincts/feel for how the offensive play is developing, and just thinking too much in general, can make you look much slower than you are.

Now, getting juked and/or just failing to make the tackle, that's more when you know the player is not athletic enough to play the position at this level.

Good lord, why do we have such shi**y local media?

Wow. Pat should be an analyst! Keen insight!

I don't think Daniel House's job is jeopardy.....

Negative and false stories work unfortunately. It isn't their mission to support the local University or sports teams. Personally I like the USA today paper, but wish it had more local stories.

I grew up in Minny and moved to Chicago after college. I am continually surprised how fucking awful the sports media is in Minny. In Chicago there are two dedicated sports radio stations and they don’t spend all day talking shit about the local teams.

In Minny the only sports radio station starts the day with fart jokes, goes to a Vikings radio guy, then to two morons who think people care what they think about world affairs, then to video gaming chat. The other stations just have fat old guys talking like their at a lions club. For a major sports market it’s very odd.

Reusse trolls the Gopher fans.

Gopher fans lose their minds.

Reusse wins.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

BTW - strip away the sarcasm, and the point is - Gophers defense did not play well this year, especially at the start of the season. He's not wrong about that. and the writer who "hates the Gophers" tweeted today that Gopher Volleyball is "the best show in town."

Reusse is fixated on connecting Fleck to Brewster. That and getting people people at Gopherhole "riled-up". Year's ago he went after "haters" and the people in charge.

Now he mainly panders to the former while only taking a very occasional shot at the later.

Except for the U.

That again is for Gopherhole's benefit. Much like why Bleed always links his stuff.

They're both interested in the attention. ;)

His point seems obvious to me, the defense was slow.

Which is just a weird point to try to make. Our struggles last year had very little to do with a lack of speed. It was a lack of Winfield in the secondary (Nubin isn't much slower than Winfield) and we had a hard time setting the edge on running plays.

I loved Sam Renner, Winston, Barber, and Williamson but what made them better in 2020 than their replacements wasn't speed (every single one of them is probably slower than their replacement), it was their experience, strength, and toughness. Coughlin, Martin, and Winfield were all pretty fast, but Mafe, Nubin, Rush/Gordon/Aune are pretty similar in terms of only pure speed.

So yeah, we lost a lot on defense last year but I would say speed is probably the one area on defense we didn't - - at least not much.

I grew up in Minny and moved to Chicago after college. I am continually surprised how fucking awful the sports media is in Minny. In Chicago there are two dedicated sports radio stations and they don’t spend all day talking shit about the local teams.

In Minny the only sports radio station starts the day with fart jokes, goes to a Vikings radio guy, then to two morons who think people care what they think about world affairs, then to video gaming chat. The other stations just have fat old guys talking like their at a lions club. For a major sports market it’s very odd.
R u kidding?...I read the chicago sun times and they rip the bears and bulls all the time

Reusse is fixated on connecting Fleck to Brewster. That and getting people people at Gopherhole "riled-up". Year's ago he went after "haters" and the people in charge.

Now he mainly panders to the former while only taking a very occasional shot at the later.

Except for the U.

That again is for Gopherhole's benefit. Much like why Bleed always links his stuff.

They're both interested in the attention.
;)

-----------------------------------------
Are you saying that Bleed only posts all these articles for attention? Do you personally know Bleed?

Reusse trolls the Gopher fans.

Gopher fans lose their minds.

Reusse wins.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

BTW - strip away the sarcasm, and the point is - Gophers defense did not play well this year, especially at the start of the season. He's not wrong about that. and the writer who "hates the Gophers" tweeted today that Gopher Volleyball is "the best show in town."
I think we know why Reusse likes Gopher volleyball.

He is pretty spot on most times. People want the truth coated with sugar. People also forget the guy sells papers which is his job. What is good local media? Blowing smoke up our a$$ and telling us its all good when its not? I have not seen his paper in years yet we get the full recap of his work right here on the Hole. every time he talks Gophers.

Top Bottom