Reusse on 2020 Gophs: "a lot of slow guys...Who takes the fault for that, Fleck-o-lytes, after his three full recruiting years"

Podcasts? If anybody's heard of you not exactly tough to come by. Here you only need a couple of bucks from Washburn-McReavy or a lawyer to get one. Or get on more.

Speaking of which, here Senior Citizens are all over Sports. It's kind of a Minnesota thing.

Joe Schmidt? 62(?). Mark Rosen? 68. Joe Soucheray? Two ages out there 69 or 71. Charley Walters? 73. Sid? Worked until he died. At 100.

Better question would be if he's doing so well and still can generate an audience, why is he so fixated on Goherhole?Not exactly CNN, Fox, ABC or the New York Times. He refers to it often.

How would I know?

Yeah, I read Reusse. ;)

Those media outlets you mentioned are soooooo 'last century'. My great grandpa loves 'em. Get with the modern times, man! Podcasts, baby!

If they want interesting information that isn’t widely known, the stuff columnist are typically paid to provide. “Team bad, blame coach” over and over doesn’t really provide any information and isn’t even interesting to read in any way.

Yes, you nailed it: Team bad, blame coach. Or: Team bad, FIRE coach.

That's sports journalism in 2020.

In Minny the only sports radio station starts the day with fart jokes, goes to a Vikings radio guy, then to two morons who think people care what they think about world affairs, then to video gaming chat. The other stations just have fat old guys talking like their at a lions club. For a major sports market it’s very odd.
You should look into KFANs ratings sometime.

Reusse trolls the Gopher fans.

Gopher fans lose their minds.

Reusse wins.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

BTW - strip away the sarcasm, and the point is - Gophers defense did not play well this year, especially at the start of the season. He's not wrong about that. and the writer who "hates the Gophers" tweeted today that Gopher Volleyball is "the best show in town."
This. I had to double check this was a new thread on GH, because I swear I have read it all many times before.

This is the most insecure fan base out there. News Flash: The defense wasn’t very good this year.

I don’t put to much faith in a newspaper(Star Tribune) that listed as the sports heros of 2020 were the athletes(??) who took a knee before our national anthem.

It's disappointing that the mainstream Twin Cities media doesn't give some fresh voices a chance. Some people call it tradition, but I call it laziness. I haven't lived in the TC for 15 years and it's still the same few writers and talking heads every year until they die.

Those media outlets you mentioned are soooooo 'last century'. My great grandpa loves 'em. Get with the modern times, man! Podcasts, baby!

"My great grandpa loves 'em". Your Great Grandpa? He must be leaning on 150..

Last edited:

Your Great Grandpa? He must be leaning on 150..

How old are CNN, ESPN and the New York Times? My great grandpa read the NYT. Yikes.

Soooooo yesterday. You need to update your point of view. Download a few new apps. Maybe even get a newer phone!

The defense wasn’t very good this year.
Fair point (completely agree the defense was bad, especially early in the year), but was it due to "lots of slow guys"? I think there were a lot of guys taking wrong angles. I don't think speed is necessarily the issue. And that's the problem I have with Reusse and his ilk (Barreiro does it all the time too) . It's just potshots with no real analysis of the situation. No facts, no examples, no knowledge of the game - just look at a boxscore and complain is the formula.

Fair point (completely agree the defense was bad, especially early in the year), but was it due to "lots of slow guys"? I think there were a lot of guys taking wrong angles. I don't think speed is necessarily the issue. And that's the problem I have with Reusse and his ilk (Barreiro does it all the time too) . It's just potshots with no real analysis of the situation. No facts, no examples, no knowledge of the game - just look at a boxscore and complain is the formula.

Reusse saw the changes coming to sports journalism, and he figured it out: trolling generates more clicks and requires far, far less effort than writing stuff that has real substance.

Reusse is an older guy who easily adapted to the (ahem, gag) "new paradigm".

I can't blame him for becoming a troll. We should give him credit. He's winning the game — and winning it under the new rules — rather than complaining about how his world has changed.

Last edited:

It's disappointing that the mainstream Twin Cities media doesn't give some fresh voices a chance. Some people call it tradition, but I call it laziness. I haven't lived in the TC for 15 years and it's still the same few writers and talking heads every year until they die.

The talk radio format is a dinosaur. Most of the new fresh voices would do better going at it without terrestrial radio.

In my opinion, the local media accurately reflect the average MN sports fan. When I talk to my friends from MN who are not die hard college football fans, they say similar stuff "call me when they beat Ohio State" or all of this other nonsense. Our state is just not a very college football savvy state. In fact, we pretty much follow hockey and the NFL. Even basketball has strange coverage (NBA and college). So I'm not surprised that the stations cater to those folks. . . that's where the money is.

The talk radio format is a dinosaur. Most of the new fresh voices would do better going at it without terrestrial radio.

In my opinion, the local media accurately reflect the average MN sports fan. When I talk to my friends from MN who are not die-hard college football fans, they say similar stuff "call me when they beat Ohio State" or all of this other nonsense. Our state is just not a very college football savvy state. In fact, we pretty much follow hockey and the NFL. Even basketball has strange coverage (NBA and college). So I'm not surprised that the stations cater to those folks. . . that's where the money is.
No snark intended here but were you at the Penn State game last year? TCF was packed and we were able to see the Twin Cities fan base shows up for winning team; college or pro.

Reusse trolls the Gopher fans.

Gopher fans lose their minds.

Reusse wins.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

BTW - strip away the sarcasm, and the point is - Gophers defense did not play well this year, especially at the start of the season. He's not wrong about that. and the writer who "hates the Gophers" tweeted today that Gopher Volleyball is "the best show in town."

So true, wish people would stop posting his articles here. He's just a troll.

Pat could have written the same thing about the Irish today against Alabama. They had NO business playing in the semi finals.

Well, I’d say our largest audience by far!! Was the Michigan opener. There is NO question we looked slow on defense. Painfully so. Yes, we sped up some as the year went along, but were any casual fans still watching?
And if they were...do you think we ever looked fast on defense? We got better. As we relaxed, got more comfortable in our roles and played more confidently, better position, better angles, hence quicker but never fast imo either.
I asked the question post game...what if Michigan isn’t very good? Because, I didn’t think they were impressive. The Gophers played very poorly. It’s hard to disregard seeing that.
Yes, we did improve but our starting line to do so couldn’t move much farther back than week one.

Well, I’d say our largest audience by far!! Was the Michigan opener. There is NO question we looked slow on defense. Painfully so. Yes, we sped up some as the year went along, but were any casual fans still watching?
And if they were...do you think we ever looked fast on defense? We got better. As we relaxed, got more comfortable in our roles and played more confidently, better position, better angles, hence quicker but never fast imo either.
I asked the question post game...what if Michigan isn’t very good? Because, I didn’t think they were impressive. The Gophers played very poorly. It’s hard to disregard seeing that.
Yes, we did improve but our starting line to do so couldn’t move much farther back than week one.
Again, I think taking the wrong angles and reading plays wrong is not the same as slow. Apparently you and Reusse think so.
I agree with you our defense against Michigan and Maryland was downright awful but after their improvement later in the season, slow is not the word I'd use.

Again, I think taking the wrong angles and reading plays wrong is not the same as slow. Apparently you and Reusse think so.
I agree with you our defense against Michigan and Maryland was downright awful but after their improvement later in the season, slow is not the word I'd use.
I’ll look again next year...you might be right but to me we never looked fast on defense this year. Faster, improved as the season moved along, yes. Fast, no.
Not compared to other teams or even us last year.

Attendance for that game was over capacity. Hard to do better than that.
Not every seat was filled, but your point is still correct. If the stadium had been 75k for that day, they probably could've sold that many tickets. Maybe

On the "slow" issue -

there is raw speed and then there is functional speed.

A player who does not understand his defensive assignment, or gets out of position, or takes a bad angle on pursuit, is going to look slow. that is functional speed.

I don't give a bleep what your 40 time is, or how fast you run the 3-cone drill. When you line up against another team, can you get in position to make a play, or finish a play. can you set the edge and keep containment? can you take a good angle in pursuit?

The Gophers looked slow - especially at the start of the season. you can attribute that to inexperience, or coaching, or a lot of things. But they did not "play" fast. They looked faster by the end of the year because they were not making as many mistakes. they did not suddenly become faster - but they looked faster.

As someone raised on Jim Murray, Chick Hearn, Vin Scully, Dick Enberg i simply can not listen or read Reusse.

Real speed + instincts = eg human missile AWJr or the surprising (and shockingly good) Blake Cashman.

Those players aren’t real common on mid tier or lower tier teams but we’ve all seen really good defenses constructed out of less than blue chip talent, eg Wisconsin, Iowa, and some others.

The team mostly sucked (maybe hyperbolic yes) in all phases this year (outside of some areas like Mo Ibrahim’s individual gutty efforts), but I won’t be surprised if these defensive guys end up being pretty good going forward. We’re not going to be good every year. On to the next.

Top Bottom