Reusse: In three short years, Pitino has turned the Gophers into a joke

Call me part of the problem if you must, edging this program to/past mediocrity, refusing to insist on whatever the hell I'm supposed to be thinking I can insist on as a fan to affect an outcome. Excellence?
A close friend I've attended games with for years affirms I said "next year is going to NOT be pretty" last February.
And so it is not. Its ugly.
But its not a joke.

I really feel totally unconcerned about how things are going this year, and while I've been depressed in previous years this isn't the case right now. Let me say it again: I hope we can get through this year without the destruction of the young players's confidence. Now I'll add - the young coach's confidence as well.

I'm a developmental person - I love to see players develop which is why I prefer college BB over pro. I'm a teacher and parent and I've seen more hopeless cases than what we have here now on the floor. I'm also relationship oriented, and I happen to think it matters if I have a foot out the door while someone is trying to do a job. If half the fan base is calling for the firing of a coach (because, gosh, I'm frustrated!) I consider that undermining the program.

I think the U has made good decisions in the past regarding when they moved on. I hope they'll allow this process to play out because...well...I DON'T have a bad feeling about this.

+1

I will say that I don't believe any coach is going to turn this program around. The issues with Gopher athletics goes much deeper than who the coach is. THIS is honestly why I'm not a fan of the "just give him one more year" and "we need to be patient" mentality. I don't believe for a second Gopher basketball is going to be much better next season. Something's "off" at the U and I'm not sure what it is.

I've been a member of the Gopher Faithful since before your mom and dad became friendly. Tell everyone you know our favorite team will win 8 or 9 BIG games next season, and you will get credit for being smarter than you are.

I will say that I don't believe any coach is going to turn this program around. The issues with Gopher athletics goes much deeper than who the coach is. THIS is honestly why I'm not a fan of the "just give him one more year" and "we need to be patient" mentality. I don't believe for a second Gopher basketball is going to be much better next season. Something's "off" at the U and I'm not sure what it is.

What is your solution then? Or maybe a better question should be "what do you think we should do about it?"

What is your solution then? Or maybe a better question should be "what do you think we should do about it?"

I guess we should do what everyone else thinks we should do. Give it more time and convince ourselves we're going to be so much better. Why stop there? Let's convince ourselves we'll win the Big Ten Conference, win the Big Ten Tournament, and not only go to the Final Four, but heck, we'll win it all and cut down the nets. We'll not only win it all next year but for the next 5 years in a row.

It took me awhile but I'm finally where a lot of you have been for weeks. I'm pumped about next season and I'm now really excited for the bright future of Gopher basketball!!!

I've been a member of the Gopher Faithful since before your mom and dad became friendly. Tell everyone you know our favorite team will win 8 or 9 BIG games next season, and you will get credit for being smarter than you are.

I don't doubt this will turn around but as soon as next year may be a bit of a stretch.

I guess we should do what everyone else thinks we should do. Give it more time and convince ourselves we're going to be so much better. Why stop there? Let's convince ourselves we'll win the Big Ten Conference, win the Big Ten Tournament, and not only go to the Final Four, but heck, we'll win it all and cut down the nets. We'll not only win it all next year but for the next 5 years in a row.

It took me awhile but I'm finally where a lot of you have been for weeks. I'm pumped about next season and I'm now really excited for the bright future of Gopher basketball!!!

So you don't have any solutions then? I am seriously trying to find out what you think the next steps should be. You don't think Pitino is a good coach and you don't think people should be optimistic and patient. Yet you also don't believe any other coach is going to turn the program around.

So two things:
1. What do you think the university and athletic department should do to correct the deeper issues?
2. What should we do here? If we all stopped saying "be patient" or "give it another year", would that somehow change things?

I don't doubt this will turn around but as soon as next year may be a bit of a stretch.

9ivEP1X.gif

Ah, sarcasm. Hell of an answer. Or, maybe an indication you're not as astute as you think.

So you don't have any solutions then? I am seriously trying to find out what you think the next steps should be. You don't think Pitino is a good coach and you don't think people should be optimistic and patient. Yet you also don't believe any other coach is going to turn the program around.

He has already explained his solution:

Can we stop with the "we need to be patient" bullcrap?! As Gopher fans, we've been patient for years and years and years. Enough. All of you "let's be patient" folks need to step aside and let the adults take over.

See!! Let the adults take over....or something.

It's not too hard to go from bad to mediocre when you get a much needed infusion of talent. The next step is tougher in this conference going from mediocre to good, it's a thin line

So two things:
1. What do you think the university and athletic department should do to correct the deeper issues?
2. What should we do here? If we all stopped saying "be patient" or "give it another year", would that somehow change things?

For point one I think we are starting to change what has ailed us for a long time. We seem to have a President who understands the importance of the Athletic were building a new Athletic Village that will put us on par with the schools that we compete with. So I think the school is trying to address those issues in away that they haven't before

It's not too hard to go from bad to mediocre when you get a much needed infusion of talent. The next step is tougher in this conference going from mediocre to good, it's a thin line

Next year I expect a 9-9 BIG season with an NCAA birth. I would like a 10-8 season. If Pitino can't do that, then I will start saying he needs to go but not until the results come in for next year.

Next year I expect a 9-9 BIG season with an NCAA birth. I would like a 10-8 season. If Pitino can't do that, then I will start saying he needs to go but not until the results come in for next year.
Agreed, I don't think it will be that hard to get to 8-10 or 9-9 next year, 10-8 probably a best case scenario, much like 6-12 this year. The challenge will be in a couple years improving on that and getting to 11, 12 or 13 wins

Agreed, I don't think it will be that hard to get to 8-10 or 9-9 next year, 10-8 probably a best case scenario, much like 6-12 this year. The challenge will be in a couple years improving on that and getting to 11, 12 or 13 wins

Yep. Get Theo John and then break some NCAA rules and pay Gary Trent Jr. to come here and it should be no big deal to get to 12-6. (I'm joking around I'm not actually advocating for us to break the NCAA rules)

Yep. Get Theo John and then break some NCAA rules and pay Gary Trent Jr. to come here and it should be no big deal to get to 12-6. (I'm joking around I'm not actually advocating for us to break the NCAA rules)

Cheating aside, a backcourt of Mason, Trent Jr and Coffey with Dorsey and McBreyer coming off the bench throw in Murphy, Lynch, John and Curry up front and that chili is smoking. I remember in the EA sports video game back when it existed for a couple of years they gave you the option to commit recruiting violations it was 50/50 that you would get caught. I always thought that was funny. Just shows how much cheating is apart of recruiting

3, 8, 9, 9, 6,6,8,8,8,6/10= 7.1 wins over the last 10 years and you think it is easy to get to 8 or 9 wins huh? Those numbers dont even take into account the dumpster fire that this win total is going to be. Sorry but Pitino has proved absolutely nothing to impress upon me or most that they are going to win 8 or 9 games next year. You see the team next year improving 4-6 wins(hoping we get to 4 this year and lets face it that is optimistic) next year in this conference with this coach. If you are going to stick with him he is going to need a step next year of getting to 6-7 and then stepping up slowly to 8 or 9 wins in year 5 maybe getting into the NCAA, he allowed this program to bottom out in year 3 and since everyone on here preaches patience to expect this team to challenege for the NCAA is absurd next year.

I think that may take at least an additional year. The big ten is a tough conference to continually have freshman playing big minutes. Pitino will also have to continue to bring in good talant or better. A down year recruiting will hurt the team again.

I agree with Reusse on Pitino, but you can't fire him since that sexual predator gave Pitino a big raise and the U is on the hook for a lot of money. You have to give Pitino all of next year and then decide. If he doesn't finish .500 next year then can him.

I agree with Reusse on Pitino, but you can't fire him since that sexual predator gave Pitino a big raise and the U is on the hook for a lot of money. You have to give Pitino all of next year and then decide. If he doesn't finish .500 next year then can him.

Lol who invited the retard

Top Bottom