Reusse: Gophers should be in market for transfer QB. The redshirt freshman needs to win job, not have it handed to him.

Hoping Evans has a breakout year. He'd be more like a Bucky than a Mo.

I don't know if it is simply lack of carries, or if he hasn't full recovered from the injury, but Potts doesn't seem like he has been able to do much (against anyone with a pulse)?

Wideout, obviously we have a lot of work to do. Brockington and Jackson had a few nice plays vs Iowa, hope we see more of that the rest of this year and next.
I think Evans is more like Mo than Bucky personally.

Why would you go to the portal after recruiting AK over the last 4 years?
Gophers have recruited highly ranked QBs in the past and been burned. Athan is still young, but B1G QBs need to be 60% passers to keep the team competitive. Athan is not that right now.

Hoping Evans has a breakout year. He'd be more like a Bucky than a Mo.

I don't know if it is simply lack of carries, or if he hasn't full recovered from the injury, but Potts doesn't seem like he has been able to do much (against anyone with a pulse)?

We have two pretty well regarded running backs (one from Michigan and one from PA) coming in as true freshmen next season. They're both rated as 3 stars but each of them had an impressive list of offers. At least one of them could see significant playing time. Fleck redshirts most freshmen but Irving played a lot as a true freshman.

Has anyone heard feedback on how Knuth has looked in practice during this redshirt season? Just curious if he could push AK for the job next season as that just wasn't in the plan this year in hopes of not burning his redshirt and not knowing Morgan would be injured and miss significant time.

Has anyone heard feedback on how Knuth has looked in practice during this redshirt season? Just curious if he could push AK for the job next season as that just wasn't in the plan this year in hopes of not burning his redshirt and not knowing Morgan would be injured and miss significant time.
With the way transfer portal is now, if they are smart, they wouldn’t say a word how he’s doing. We know he’s big, athletic, fast and has a great arm. From what we’ve seen so far if he’s accurate, he should be pushing AK.

Mo - 5'10 210
Potts - 5'11 210
Williams - 6' 215
Evans - 5'10 205

You got me. That inch makes a huge difference! :cool:
He looked very much like Mo to me in his high school tape. If I remember right I think we saw him run through Coleman Bryson in Mo like fashion in the spring game.

We have two pretty well regarded running backs (one from Michigan and one from PA) coming in as true freshmen next season. They're both rated as 3 stars but each of them had an impressive list of offers. At least one of them could see significant playing time. Fleck redshirts most freshmen but Irving played a lot as a true freshman.
Had injuries not decimated the running back room last season, I don't think you would have seen Irving on the field last year any more than we saw Evans this season.

I'm not in disagreement with seeing true freshman at that position if they've "got it".

Had injuries not decimated the running back room last season, I don't think you would have seen Irving on the field last year any more than we saw Evans this season.

I'm not in disagreement with seeing true freshman at that position if they've "got it".

Well, if Potts and Williams aren't performing next season, one of them could surface as well. I like what I've seen from Evans (in his one game this season and in the spring game) but we don't know if he is capable of having the same kind of year that Mo had as a redshirt freshman. Also, while Mo had a really fine freshman year, he didn't get the numbers of carries per game that he has gotten this year until the bowl game.

Last edited:

Exactly

I wouldn’t mind a portal QB if the coaches think it’s best for the roster balance. But looking for a starting QB in the portal is a tough task because most that are definite upgrades are headed to places with NIL we likely can’t match.

There is zero chance we take a portal QB 😂😂😂
Yeah, clearly AK has proven enough to win the job. I’m sure there will be talk of an “open competition” but AK has the talent and now some solid experience. He earned it. Knuth and Kramer are fine as back up options. We can throw in Viotto if shit hits the fan. A transfer is completely unnecessary.

Assuming no one leaves besides Morgan, we'll have 4 scholarship QBs on the roster. Really depends on what they think of the guys besides AK. I doubt Viotto would be ready to take any meaningful snaps if needed. Would come down to Knuth. If they're discouraged by him, then getting a veteran guy to be a backup might not be a bad idea. I don't think Kramer can be more of a fill in for a few snaps type of guy.

Top Bottom