Reusse: Gophers beat Nebraska? Truly, anything is possible.

highwayman

Knows Less Than Coaching Staff
Reaction score
I still suggest you don't give him the clicks:

"Two games into the Big Ten schedule, this batch of Gophers looked as if it had regressed from Jerry Kill’s second group in 2012. The Gophers were pathetic for 60 minutes in a home game against Iowa, and then futile in the second half of what became a blowout loss at Michigan.

They were 4-2 at the time, but those four nonconference victories didn’t really count for anything, and the abysmal efforts vs. Iowa and Michigan had you wonder where the 2013 Gophers might get the two Big Ten victories they had landed at for three consecutive seasons.

We now have the answer: last weekend at Northwestern as 12½-point underdogs, and Saturday against Nebraska, as 10-point underdogs in the on-campus stadium.

Northwestern could alibi that it was missing its best quarterback and running back. Nebraska had nothing to offer in the excuse department.

The current Cornhuskers, the representatives of a half-century of national football importance, came in and were absolutely mauled. The Gophers took apart Nebraska’s defense with a lethal combination of creativity and muscle, and they handled all the Nebraska offense had to offer other than the magnificent running back Ameer Abdullah.

The final was 34-23, and it is being billed as the Gophers’ first victory over Nebraska since 1960. That might deserve an asterisk, since it’s the first victory over Nebraska in the post-Devaney Era, and Cornhuskers football before and after Bob Devaney are two very different grades of seed corn.

The Gophers were 29-6-2 in their frequent meetings with Nebraska from 1900 through 1960. Devaney was hired out of Wyoming in 1962, the series resumed in 1963, and the Gophers were 0-16 in matches since then.

A couple more numbers: In the 12 games played from 1969 through 2012, Nebraska scored 568 points and the Gophers scored 86.

Everything changed Saturday — a mid-schedule perception the 2013 Gophers were going backward rather than forward, and the idea that the Gophers were destined to be pushed around into eternity by Nebraska football teams.

David Cobb ripped through Nebraska’s undersized middle for 138 yards on 31 fierce carries. Offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover broke out freshman receiver Donovahn Jones for four carries and 42 yards on the “Jet sweep.’’

Philip Nelson came off the bench to throw for 152 yards, and it could have been better minus a few drops. He also broke out a previously undiscovered weapon in tight end Drew Goodger.

If anyone ever looks the part of a Goodger, it’s this lad — 6-foot-5, massive, whiskered. And yet there the big fellow was chugging his way open for three catches for 68 yards.

Was this a case of Limegrover finally recognizing Goodger’s latent explosiveness?

“No, no,’’ Goodger said. “Our coaches did a great job of scheming them up, and I was able to get lost out there a couple of times.’’

The play of the game came on the Gophers’ second possession of the third quarter. The underdogs were leading 17-13, forced a punt, and then returner Derrick Engel’s facemask was grabbed for a 15-yard penalty.

That put the Gophers at the Nebraska 38. The Gophers of the Iowa mess and the Michigan beatdown would have run a couple of read options for a few yards, misfired on a pass and punted for a touchback.

These were the new Gophers, the ones that said, “Let’s draw up some wild stuff and actually use it.’’

Limegrover sent Nelson to the huddle to call, “Shift Husker Y-Go.’’

Huh? “We don’t have a real name for it,’’ Limegrover said. “We did use the play in the bowl game last year. We wound up getting a penalty.’’

The good old Shift Husker Y-Go sent two players wide left and two wide right (including left tackle Ben Lauer), and Nebraska’s defense didn’t know if it was on foot or on a combine.

Down the middle trundled Goodger, wide open for 21 yards to the 17, and from there Cobb and Nelson took it into the end zone. And it was at that point, long-timers who had followed the Gophers through all the blowout losses to Nebraska were left saying: “They are strong enough, and they are smart enough, and doggone it, they can do this.’’

Minnesota beat Nebraska in football. Anything is now possible.

Heck, give another try at the affordable health care sign-up. It might work."

Coherent sentences, laudatory and somewhat introspective and bemusing prose. About the Gophers? From Reusse?

Truly, anything is now possible.

Reusse had to be talked off the ledge after the Gophers won. He sneered at the Gophers for being excited about the win over Nebraska, and here he wants to downplay the win over Nebraska. Asterisk my ass.

Not bad for Reusse, but Nebraska has had some very good teams post Devaney.

Credit to Reusse. He writes the truth more often than not, we just don't like to hear it. We're drowning & he's describing the water, so to speak. I see no down playing here at all. He points out what a big deal this win was by stressing how badly they've beaten us the past 50 years & that they have no excuses, we dominated them today.

Yes he pokes fun at Linegrover's bland offense & his decision to finally open it up a little bit. But so what, Limey deserved the heat he got & now he deserves some credit.

I liked this piece.

He's a patronizing dink. I emailed him immediately after the game requesting him to choke on his 30 year anniversary article.

Credit to Reusse. He writes the truth more often than not, we just don't like to hear it. We're drowning & he's describing the water, so to speak. I see no down playing here at all. He points out what a big deal this win was by stressing how badly they've beaten us the past 50 years & that they have no excuses, we dominated them today.

Yes he pokes fun at Linegrover's bland offense & his decision to finally open it up a little bit. But so what, Limey deserved the heat he got & now he deserves some credit.

I liked this piece.

Mr. Ruse seems to hang out with some of the posters on this site, might even be one of them. The list of posters who have already dampened my enjoyment of the win keeps growing.

He's a patronizing dink. I emailed him immediately after the game requesting him to choke on his 30 year anniversary article.

The uneducated or casual observers, who saw regression in the Iowa and Michigan games, are chasing fool's gold. This team is where it is because they haven't taken shortcuts. It appeared Iowa dominated and inferior team, but I suggest it was a fluke and a great teaching moment about fundamentals. Those things were fixed and we actually pushed Michigan around. When was the last time that happened? Michigan won partly because Gardner and Funchess went off, but he was covered pretty well, it was just their day. It's not just play-calling.

Sometimes it's about players making plays. Claeys called a blitz against a screen that led to a long TD a couple game ago. Oh well. Same thing happened yesterday and Hageman made a great play. There were several other plays that could have gone either way based on the playcalling, but Gophers MADE PLAYS. Confidence, attitude, effort and intensity are coming together and that has been a progression, not a lucky play call.

The final was 34-23, and it is being billed as the Gophers’ first victory over Nebraska since 1960. <b><u>That might deserve an asterisk</u></b>, since it’s the first victory over Nebraska in the post-Devaney Era, and Cornhuskers football before and after Bob Devaney are two very different grades of seed corn.

If you can't see that as downplaying, see you eye doctor, you need a new prescription.

Reusse called this Gopher victory over a month ago on his radio show....kinda backed off it after the Michigan game though.

If you can't see that as downplaying, see you eye doctor, you need a new prescription.

He's not downplaying this win with that asterisk comment. He's saying that, from a historical standpoint, there are two Nebraska programs: pre-Devaney and post-Devaney. And our wins came during the former. That's all.

This was a rare positive column from Reusse. Enjoy it while you can.

I liked this piece.

BS. He's a rude prick. I'm surprised he wrote about the gopher win at all and not some rip on the fans, or the cheerleaders, or the U.

Unhappy when the media writes something negative about the Gophers.
Unhappy when the media writes something positive about the Gophers.

You aren't kidding. It was a fine article. I guess some people are going to complain about Ruesse no matter what he writes.

No, Reusse's a prick and has been writing smack about the gophs and their fans for years. One article doesn't change that. He made the bed, he can sleep in it.

[Texas-Gopher: No, Reusse's a prick and has been writing smack about the gophs and their fans for years. One article doesn't change that. He made the bed, he can sleep in it.]

Reusse is happy and sleeps well when GopherHolers write something negative about him.
Reusse is happy and sleeps well when GopherHolers write something positive about him.

May be it's just me, but when I think Nebraska football I think about Osbourne, not Devaney,, heck he was such a god in the cornfields he got elected to congress.

[Texas-Gopher: No, Reusse's a prick and has been writing smack about the gophs and their fans for years. One article doesn't change that. He made the bed, he can sleep in it.]

Reusse is happy and sleeps well when GopherHolers write something negative about him.
Reusse is happy and sleeps well when GopherHolers write something positive about him.

Yep, he's a media slut. AKA a dirtbag.

He's not downplaying this win with that asterisk comment. He's saying that, from a historical standpoint, there are two Nebraska programs: pre-Devaney and post-Devaney. And our wins came during the former. That's all.

This was a rare positive column from Reusse. Enjoy it while you can.

Maybe its the fact that Fat Pat fails to acknowledge the National Championships by Tom Osborne that has me questioning his actual and factual validity of his column. And since Dr. Tom came back as AD, it isn't even post-Osborne any more.

Face it, NE isn't the same as they were for the same reason as everyone else...the SEC is that good.

Give it a rest you guys. Learn how to take a compliment. Learn how to take yes for an answer.

You rip him all the time for being negative. Now you rip him for being positive. It says alot about you if you have to rip someone for writing a positive story about your team.

Are you ever satisfied? Geeze.

Which will take longer, the Gophers learning how to win, or Gopherholers learning how to enjoy a winning team?

Which will take longer, the Gophers learning how to win, or Gopherholers learning how to enjoy a winning team?

Enjoy a winning team. They are bitter at everyone. People need to learn to say thank you for being praised instead of telling the complimentor to f-off.

When you tell your wife she's pretty do you expect her to tell you to kick rocks? No. She will almost always say thank with words, or if you're lucky, through deeds. :)

Maybe its the fact that Fat Pat fails to acknowledge the National Championships by Tom Osborne that has me questioning his actual and factual validity of his column. And since Dr. Tom came back as AD, it isn't even post-Osborne any more.

?????

Osbourne is part of the post-Devaney era that Pat is talking about. That's exactly his point. Once Devaney showed up, Nebraska got good. Post-Devaney includes all of Osbourne's accomplishments, including the poundings Osbourne gave to the Gophers.

Pre Davaney: Nebraska not good
Post Devaney: Nebraska elite

?????

Osbourne is part of the post-Devaney era that Pat is talking about. That's exactly his point. Once Devaney showed up, Nebraska got good. Post-Devaney includes all of Osbourne's accomplishments, including the poundings Osbourne gave to the Gophers.

Pre Davaney: Nebraska not good
Post Devaney: Nebraska elite

Besides, Pat isn't even fat anymore. So many unnecessary cheap shots.

Philip Nelson came off the bench to throw for 152 yards, and it could have been better minus a few drops. He also broke out a previously undiscovered weapon in tight end Drew Goodger.

You know, I heard the ESPN announcer say that multiple times yesterday about Goodger, too. That he came out of no where, never heard of him, etc. I think the ESPN guy said yesterday after Goodger's first catch of the day that it was his first catch of the year.

Do people not realize he has started all seven games this season and 13 of the last 15 games overall. He caught three TDs last year. He's played a lot. None of our receivers have a lot of catches, but Goodger is a factor for this team and was last year, too.

You know, I heard the ESPN announcer say that multiple times yesterday about Goodger, too. That he came out of no where, never heard of him, etc. I think the ESPN guy said yesterday after Goodger's first catch of the day that it was his first catch of the year.

Do people not realize he has started all seven games this season and 13 of the last 15 games overall. He caught three TDs last year. He's played a lot. None of our receivers have a lot of catches, but Goodger is a factor for this team and was last year, too.

You're right rediscovering would have been better. From Gophersports:

2013 • JUNIOR SEASON: Made two catches for 30 yards against UNLV • started at New Mexico State, but did not record any statistics • recorded one catch against Western Illinois • started against San Jose State, Iowa, at Michigan and at Northwestern, but did not record any statistics.

2012 • SOPHOMORE SEASON: Played in 12 games and started seven • made 13 catches for 115 yards and three touchdowns • named Academic All-Big Ten. Game-by-Game: Saw action at UNLV and returned one kickoff for five yards • competed against New Hampshire • recorded his first career touchdown (nine-yard reception) on his only catch of the game against Western Michigan • notched 27 receiving yards on three catches vs. Syracuse • caught three passes, including one touchdown at Iowa • had two receptions for 23 yards vs. Northwestern • made two catches for 27 yards at Wisconsin • saw action vs. Purdue • made one catch for 14 yards vs. Michigan • competed at Illinois and at Nebraska, but did not record any statistics • missed the Michigan State game with an injury • made one catch, a 1-yard touchdown, vs. Texas Tech.

FWIW, nothing in the Reusse article to be upset with unless you just don't want to give him credit, which is perfectly fine as far as it goes.

No, Reusse's a prick and has been writing smack about the gophs and their fans for years. One article doesn't change that. He made the bed, he can sleep in it.

Agreed. Turkey of the year article in 1992 picked on an undergrad kicker. As far as I know he's never apologized for it.

Good one and I agree.

Per Iowa and Michigan (in response to killme), I was very disappointed by the Iowa game because they took us to the woodshed physically and I thought that a troubling sign (and I don't consider myself to be a particularly uneducated fan). I've always respected the way Ferentz coaches because his teams hit like there is no tomorrow. I thought the Gophers would go toe-to-toe with them in that particular game and I was disappointed that they were pretty much manhandled. Everything in Michigan improved except the score and the only disappointing thing about that game is that it showed the difference in athletic caliber between the teams, especially at the skilled positions.

All that has changed in the last two weeks. I think Northwestern has been living a charmed life over the past half decade and when they get lined up against a team that is intent on playing physical football, they don't hold up well. We showed that to be the case. Yesterday was a big test and we passed with flying colors. Nebraska always has a stable of good athletes and we played them hard and matched them blow-for-blow. It's the best game for play on both lines that I've seen in a long, long time.

The Kill regime promised the kids would play hard and wouldn't leave anything on the field. The thing that bothered me about the Iowa game is I felt that they did leave something on the field.

I remarked in the game thread that it was readily apparent that the broadcast team had done little research on the Gophers. They didn't know who Cobb was even though he was our leading rusher. As you point out, they didn't know who Goodger was either. You'd figure that with all the likely interns running around ESPN that one would be assigned to every game and would provide the broadcast team with more than just a snapshot of the teams on the field.

Top Bottom