Reusse: Foolish for Gophers to continue avoiding St. Thomas hoops rivalry

BleedGopher

Reaction score
It takes Pat 12 paragraphs to get to his thesis:

On Tuesday night, the Gophers — representing a campus with 30,550 undergraduates — were playing a men's basketball game vs. Indiana University/Purdue University Indianapolis, with the initials of IUPUI and the nickname "Oooey-Pooey."

There were a few thousand ticket holders anticipated to be in attendance.

Meantime, the men's team from St. Thomas, the Catholic research university located four miles from Williams Arena, was practicing in preparation for a game Thursday at Marquette.

Go Gophers!!

Let's start playing North Dakota State in football again too. They have a bunch of players I've never heard of who apparently went to high school in Minnesota, which means I'm supposed to care more as a fan for some reason and definitely buy tickets.

On Tuesday night, the Gophers were playing Indiana University/Purdue University Indianapolis.

St. Thomas was practicing in preparation for a game Thursday at Marquette.
IUPUI was the cupcake that got a payday.
St. Thomas is the cupcake that will get a payday.

Is this really that hard to understand, Patrick, you willfully obtuse turd in the punch bowl?

It takes Pat 12 paragraphs to get to his thesis:

On Tuesday night, the Gophers — representing a campus with 30,550 undergraduates — were playing a men's basketball game vs. Indiana University/Purdue University Indianapolis, with the initials of IUPUI and the nickname "Oooey-Pooey."

There were a few thousand ticket holders anticipated to be in attendance.

Meantime, the men's team from St. Thomas, the Catholic research university located four miles from Williams Arena, was practicing in preparation for a game Thursday at Marquette.

Go Gophers!!
Does he understand the definition of a rivalry?

There’s really nothing to be gained by playing St Thomas and Reusse knows that, that’s why he’s in favor of it.
What about increasing fan interest for a game in the noncon? Certainly it > than ooey pooey. Or is the entire Gopher fan base made up of pussies, just like the coach?

I know the answer. Such a fraudulent record to look good rather than be good.

playing St. Thomas would fill the barn for at least 1 game......sure the gophers will get beat in these games on occasion but it wouldnt be the norm. i would like to see it
fill the barn with opposing fans with a total ticket revenue of what like 300-500k (if it was a sellout) depending on what they charged for tickets? until the team is better and people want to see them, scheduling this game just puts opposing fans butts in the seats for a small payday that changes nothing in the grand scheme fiscally while giving the local media a chance to dunk on you if you lose. I can absolutely see why they aren't scheduling this game now. Seems like it would be an easy one to make an open gym exhibition to start the season though.

There’s really nothing to be gained by playing St Thomas and Reusse knows that, that’s why he’s in favor of it.
The only benefit would be the extra ticket sales and butts in the seats. Certainly the attendance in a Gopher v Tommies matchup would be higher than the IUPUI game. But, that's the only advantage.

playing St. Thomas would fill the barn for at least 1 game......sure the gophers will get beat in these games on occasion but it wouldnt be the norm. i would like to see it
On occasion? I've said it here before, unless something drastically changes at the U, St. Thomas will be a stronger basketball program than Minnesota in five years.

In case anyone still needed evidence Reusse knew diddly squat about anything other than old time baseball. Scheduling them would have zero benefit to us. Just not a good win. Our schedule is weak enough as it is.

Having another Division 1 school in the state is even more annoying than I could have ever imagined.
This is an odd post with a guy who seems to be a Gopher hockey fan.

It's only annoying because we don't play them - so we don't gain anything from being annoyed. If we played them and kicked their teeth in 90% of the time, it would be fun. It's fun to beat our annoying neighbors. As annoying as SCSU hockey fan were, it was fun to play them and beat them.

The chance of losing to UST and being ridiculed about it is what makes sports fun. Why do we want to inoculate ourselves against being the friendly ribbing that comes with these kinds of contests? You seem to have enjoyed it with hockey.

Does anyone really not think beating UST 85-55 on Tuesday wouldn't have been fun?

Catholic research university??

:sneaky::ROFLMAO:

How much did he get paid to say that!

ec680a8c-3923-4de3-97fc-3b4e7f566666_text.gif

This is an odd post with a guy who seems to be a Gopher hockey fan.

It's only annoying because we don't play them - so we don't gain anything from being annoyed. If we played them and kicked their teeth in 90% of the time, it would be fun. It's fun to beat our annoying neighbors. As annoying as SCSU hockey fan were, it was fun to play them and beat them.

The chance of losing to UST and being ridiculed about it is what makes sports fun. Why do we want to inoculate ourselves against being the friendly ribbing that comes with these kinds of contests? You seem to have enjoyed it with hockey.

Does anyone really not think beating UST 85-55 on Tuesday wouldn't have been fun?
not any more or less fun than doing it to IUPUI or the like. I don't understand the obsession with playing UST for a lot of people. if we lose, we suck and we didn't need to lose to UST to know that. If we win, who cares as it's the same as beating pick your directional school from wherever. Instead it just has the potential to drag you down in SOS (or the PWR in hockey) so why go there? 0% afraid of losing as it just means we suck, and we know how cool people who dunk on teams who suck are, especially when there is no historical rivalry.

What is lost is the opportunity to have 12,000 paying customers attend the game at Williams arena as opposed to the hundreds that were there to witness IUPUI.

It could be monetized even more by requiring fans to buy some sort of mini-package to go to the game.

IUPUI was the cupcake that got a payday.
St. Thomas is the cupcake that will get a payday.

Is this really that hard to understand, Patrick, you willfully obtuse turd in the punch bowl?

Is it really that hard for you to understand that several more thousand of fans would be more interested in seeing the Gophers face the Tommies instead of IUPUI?

Last years St Thomas team beats last years Gophers team no question. This year the Gophers would win.
Gophers have nothing to gain by playing St Thomas, albeit I would like to see.

Last years St Thomas team beats last years Gophers team no question. This year the Gophers would win.
Gophers have nothing to gain by playing St Thomas, albeit I would like to see.
They would have gained the benefit of 5,000-7000 paying customers at the Barn and one less game being relegated to BTN+ thus getting more eyeballs watching their product.

Instead I followed the Gopher-IUPUI game by getting a notification from my Gopher Sports app that simply told me what the Final score was.

In case anyone still needed evidence Reusse knew diddly squat about anything other than old time baseball. Scheduling them would have zero benefit to us. Just not a good win. Our schedule is weak enough as it is.
This isn't directed at you personally, but I have no idea where this mindset comes from. We are afraid of our own shadow. UST is not going to go away, eventually we will need to play them every single year or it will be an absolute embarrassment.

Why don't we slap them around a little bit? Lets build up a 8-0 record against them. You seem to be worried that losing to them could embarrass us or somehow give them a spotlight to help them in recruiting? Lets smack them around and be able to tell recruits, it's just a completely different level of basketball.

not any more or less fun than doing it to IUPUI or the like. I don't understand the obsession with playing UST for a lot of people. if we lose, we suck and we didn't need to lose to UST to know that. If we win, who cares as it's the same as beating pick your directional school from wherever. Instead it just has the potential to drag you down in SOS (or the PWR in hockey) so why go there? 0% afraid of losing as it just means we suck, and we know how cool people who dunk on teams who suck are, especially when there is no historical rivalry.
I don't believe you.

This isn't directed at you personally, but I have no idea where this mindset comes from

Top Bottom