Reusse blog: I'm too old to know better with Gophers football

Aside from that, Eric Thrall, if you're reading - I noticed a couple errors in your database. The Gophers were conference co-champions in 1927 and 1933, but you have them listed as 2nd and 4th, respectively. Thus you have listed only 16 conference championships instead of 18.

My problem is that Reusse wrote one article that basically stated "you lost a winnable game on the road, and you're irrationally exuberant about that". Most people posting here were stating that we were not happy with the loss, but we can see the forest through the trees, and we have some genuine optimism about our potential growth after that game.

He follows that up with an article that states (as best as I can interpret) "we used to be better and there are too many damn bowl games". His closing line is: "Worse, I remember too much. I can't forget when playing real teams from real conferences was the norm. I can't forget when the Gophers - and the rest of the Big Ten, for that matter - had standards." Time to open your eyes and examine college football in the new millennium, Patrick. Not every game will be against a BCS opponent, and in case you weren't paying attention, you wrote your previous column about the Gophers playing the very type of team you lambaste them for not playing. Forgive me if I have trouble following your logic.

+1,000

Is this a group therapy string or what?/

I can't believe that some of you are actually supporting Reusse's never ending whining. After a while it becomes just pathetic. Life is not fair but you need to deal with it. Suck it up Reusse! There is nothing worse than having to listen to a constant complainer. That also goes for the rest of you whiners too. Coach Kill wouldn’t tolerate any of you.

I have lurked on this forum for about 10 months now, and have really enjoyed it. I finally got a user name so I could respond to this thread.

First of all, I like Reusse. Sometimes I think he is full of crap, sometimes too cynical, but mostly I think he is pretty thoughtful and a hell of a writer. Oh, and I like to hear opinions that challenge mine.

More importantly, I first learned about GopherHole from reading Reusse. It was when the Brewster era was melting down, and Reusse referred to the name change of this very forum. So, everyone, looks like you have a reader in Pat Reusse, clearly the guy does have some interest and maybe even affection for the Gophers. I even suspect that his blog post might have been a response to what was posted here.

I can't believe that some of you are actually supporting Reusse's never ending whining. After a while it becomes just pathetic. Life is not fair but you need to deal with it. Suck it up Reusse! There is nothing worse than having to listen to a constant complainer. That also goes for the rest of you whiners too. Coach Kill wouldn’t tolerate any of you.

Pat is so completely irrelevant that I can't bother to even read his articles or care about the guy anymore. His schtick is so tired and predictable and he offers absolutely nothing to the world of Gopher sports. I'm not trying to rip the guy like others here do it's just that I can't value his opinion at all to even agree or disagree with him. The advent of bloggers that actually follow the team and do their research (paging MV) makes guy's like Pat irrelevant.

Pat is so completely irrelevant that I can't bother to even read his articles or care about the guy anymore. His schtick is so tired and predictable and he offers absolutely nothing to the world of Gopher sports. I'm not trying to rip the guy like others here do it's just that I can't value his opinion at all to even agree or disagree with him. The advent of bloggers that actually follow the team and do their research (paging MV) makes guy's like Pat irrelevant.

+1. Well said Sir! :clap:

+1 Amen Brother!

Reusse is the best sportswriter in this market. Hands down.

Reusse is the best sportswriter in this market. Hands down.

He's definitely the most interesting. He may get grumpy, but what's to be happy about? False positivity is even more annoying than pessimism.

Any praise bothers you. Critics don't go far enough in their disdain. I enjoyed three seasons since 1977. Three, and THAT bothered you enough to complain about it. Trolls even find bright spots in a season. One gets the feeling that a 77-3 game tomorrow would lead to you whining about "running up the score" and complaining about the Defense "blowing the shutout".

Maybe you need to find another diversion? :eek:

Sigh.

If enjoying seasons where the Gophers won nothing is fine for you, so be it. If they win 77-3 tomorrow, I'd love it, since I'll be in the stands watching it. Especially because I was at the 66-0 loss to Oklahoma when I was a kid and we had season tickets.

I'd just like to see the U win a Big Ten title in my lifetime. If that makes me a troll, so be it. Is it so wrong to want your favorite team to do well, and to fairly rip on them for decades of mismanagement and poor coaching?

Sigh.

If enjoying seasons where the Gophers won nothing is fine for you, so be it. If they win 77-3 tomorrow, I'd love it, since I'll be in the stands watching it. Especially because I was at the 66-0 loss to Oklahoma when I was a kid and we had season tickets.

I'd just like to see the U win a Big Ten title in my lifetime. If that makes me a troll, so be it. Is it so wrong to want your favorite team to do well, and to fairly rip on them for decades of mismanagement and poor coaching?

Sigh. That's the problem, your posts indicate that you wouldn't. You'd wait until the end of the season and if they didn't "win anything" you'd complain that everybody who did enjoy that moment "didn't get it".

He's definitely the most interesting. He may get grumpy, but what's to be happy about? False positivity is even more annoying than pessimism.

He's entertaining, that's for sure but sincere? :D False pessimism should be just as bad as false positivity but for some reason the former is always considered to have "the ring of truth". That's my only problem with Patrick a guy I've read and listened to for years. Use to call in often to Monday Night Sports Talk and talk with both him and Joe. The point is much of his "best sportswriting"exists to irritate the public, nothing more nothing less. He may mean what he says but he's a good enough writer to make that impossible to determine. Pessimists are always taken in by that. Optimists and realists less so.

The problem is pessimists always think they're realists.

The funniest thing about Reusse's halcyon days espoused in his article is that they didn't exist.

1955: 3-6
1958: 1-8
1959: 2-7
1963: 3-6

And I think we all know how the Gophers have been since 1967.

The Gophers, with a few occasional hiccups, were truly dominant basically from their inception all the way through the end of Bierman's first tenure (1941). Other than the 1961 and 1967 seasons, they've been more or less the same every year since 1941 - mediocre-to-poor. Since 1967, the Gophers have finished 3rd in the Big Ten three times. Of course, they've never finished 1st or 2nd in that time frame.

Fulda the Hutt would have you believe that he has a "higher standard" because the Gophers of his youth were some mythical superpower trouncing all in their path. Give me a break. In fact, with rare exceptions, they've been all along what they are now - mediocre-to-poor. He can long for Warmath and Stoll all he wants. I'd rather long for Bierman and Williams.

The world might be coming to an end. I agree with something you posted.

Well said. Basically impossible to argue with.

Top Bottom