Reusse blog: I'm too old to know better with Gophers football

BleedGopher

Reaction score
My slightly cynical view of the great moral victory gained in Jerry Kill's first game as the Gophers football coach drew a hostile response from many of the team's faithful followers.

This caused some self-introspection during Tuesday's commute home from Hubbard headquarters and led me to this conclusion:

The problem is I'm too damn old. I have refused to give up the standards for the Gophers that were embraced in my youth.

My first recollection of Gophers' football is kneeling along the backline of an end zone at Memorial Stadium, when Iowa came to Minneapolis in 1954. I'm not sure of the end zone, only that it was the one in which the Hawkeyes' Earl Smith arrived with what he thought was a game-winning touchdown.

A moment later, Smith heard a roar of approval from the home crowd (65,464) and found out there was flag that would bring the ball all the way back to near the opposite end zone. Smith uttered a word that would've gotten his mouth washed out with soap at St. Gabriel's grade school in Fulda, Minn.

The Gophers won that day, 22-20, and a 9-year-old was hooked.

The next year, the Gophers would play a pair of non-conference games - Southern Cal and Washington - and then seven in the Big Ten. And that was the norm in the years that followed:

Washington, Pitt, Nebraska, Missouri, Oregon, California ... Army and Navy when they were still relevant on the national scene.

There was a distressing moment in 1967, when the Gophers not only scheduled Utah - Utah! - but survived by a paltry 13-12.

The season turned out OK, as the Gophers tied Purdue and Indiana for the Big Ten title at 6-1.

Strange things started happening in 1969: Arizona State, from a conference called the WAC, and Ohio, from the MAC, both appeared on the schedule.

The Gophers went to ASU, ran into speed they could not have anticipated and lost 48-26. My friend Jon Roe was covering for the Minneapolis Tribune and has told the story of Murray Warmath, drenched in sweat, sitting forlornly in the trainer's room, cursing the fact a game with this upstart school had been scheduled.

It was a greater humiliation a week later, when the Gophers opened at home with a 35-35 tie with Ohio.

A year later, the situation was righted when Ohio came to Minneapolis again and the Gophers won 48-7. We weren't proud of the victory; merely satisfied that the MAC had been put back in its lowly place.

In 1971, the schedule was expanded from 10 to 11 total, and from seven to eight in the Big Ten. Nebraska, Washington and Kansas were the non-conference opponents in 1971, then Colorado, Nebraska and Kansas in 1972.

That's what a Gophers' schedule was supposed to look like, and then:

On Sept. 22, 1973, the Gophers played North Dakota. The other non-conference games were Nebraska and Kansas ... but North Dakota, on a modern Gophers' schedule? It was an embarrassment to the legacy of Tom Brown, Bobby Bell, Sandy Stephens, of all the Rose Bowl Gophers.

In 1977, the Gophers played in their third bowl game: the first-ever Hall of Fame Classic in Birmingham, Ala.

Cal Stoll's outfit had a 7-4 regular season that included victories over Michigan and Washington, the Rose Bowl opponents that season, and also UCLA.

Still, this affair in Birmingham was now the 13th bowl game approved by the NCAA. Even with those big victories on the Gophers' resume, we thought it was a bit silly that 26 teams were being allowed to play in bowl games.

The next bowl game came in 1985, after Lou Holtz left for Notre Dame and John Gutekunst took the Gophers to Shreveport, La. to play Clemson in the Independence Bowl. There were now 19 bowl games - clearly ridiculous.

I called Frank Howard, the retired, legendary Clemson coach, looking for a column. "You from the St. Paul Dispatch, you say,'' Frank said. "Does that paper get out of the city limits, boy?''

He talked. I laughed. Finally, he asked: "What's your record at Minnesota?''

"Six-and-5, coach,'' I said.

"We 6-and-5, too,'' Frank said. "This ain't no bowl game. This is a battle of pissants.''

A year later, the Gophers lost to Pacific 24-20 in the Metrodome, and lost at Oklahoma, 63-0, and still they went to a bowl game (Liberty) by going 6-5.

I've seen everything since then. I've seen the Gophers lose to MAC teams - starting with Ohio 23-17, on Sept. 9, 2000 in the Metrodome.

I've seen the schedule raised to 12 games in 2002, and Glen Mason without embarrassment offering up Southwest Texas, Louisiana-Lafayette, Toledo and Buffalo as the non-conference opponents.

I've seen North Dakota State come into the Dome and trample the Gophers - and South Dakota come into TCF Bank Stadium and grease the skids for Tim Brewster's departure.

I've seen too much.

Worse, I remember too much. I can't forget when playing real teams from real conferences was the norm. I can't forget when the Gophers - and the rest of the Big Ten, for that matter - had standards.

I'm sorry.

http://www.1500espn.com/blogs/remembering_too_much_about_gophers

Go Gophers!!

In summary: "Back in my day, things were so much better." Thanks old man.

What drives me nuts about Reusse whether in print or radio is his constant reminiscing about the past and obvious disinterest in engagement in the present...this happens in every discussion he has with Phil Mackey on their radio show. Mackey will bring up how well the Phillies are playing and Reusse without fail will go into a full blown monologue about Charlie Manuel and his three years with the Twins in the early 80's. This is why I was all for the switch from WCCO to KFAN, time to quit looking backward and focus on building something new going forward.

Reusse has gopher cred. Reusse has seen more gopher football than almost all gopher hole posters is my guess. It is a good article.

Reusse has gopher cred. Reusse has seen more gopher football than almost all gopher hole posters is my guess. It is a good article.
We'll that legitimizes it, I will read every future recycled Reusse article and give it greater credence because he's seen more Gopher football than the all 'Holers.

Reusse was right about the USC game. It was just another one of many defeats in games the Gophers could have won. USC is not that good and the Gophers have better personnel than at any time since 2003. Fortunately, Jerry Kill and his staff are among the few people in Minnesota who are not taking any satisfaction from making it a close game. We can only hope that is a sign of good things to come.

Gopher fans want championship teams too Pat and I remember those glory days as well. The difference is that many of us realize that it takes time to build to that point after so many years of futility. In the meantime, Gopher fans have a habit of grasping for straws in their quest for something good.

BTW, the Gophers did play a real team from a real conference and found a way to get within three point of victory. I find no cyncism in that.

I wonder if the hostile response to your articles are due to your constant doom and gloom and and never ending penchant to rip the Gophers. You may want to give that some thought.

Get with the times Reusee.

I agree, kind of, sort of. :eek: The problem is making a relevant point about anything always takes a second place to irritating people for Patrick

You want to know what you always have to keep in mind about Reusse? I tuned in yesterday just as the Frenchman was telling a story about the Gophers playing Ohio University. He was in the Press Box finishing his story when a P.R. guy from Ohio came by and asked that they be referred to "Ohio" not "Ohio University" in game stories. Reusse said that really ticked him off. Why? Because he had already written "Ohio" a number of times in the story and had to go back and change it to "Ohio University" so he could piss-off that so and so P.R. guy!

That's all you need to know about Reusse.

Reusse was right about the USC game. It was just another one of many defeats in games the Gophers could have won. USC is not that good and the Gophers have better personnel than at any time since 2003. Fortunately, Jerry Kill and his staff are among the few people in Minnesota who are not taking any satisfaction from making it a close game. We can only hope that is a sign of good things to come.

I think we need to put things into perspective. Is USC down from what they normally are? Yes, but they're still a good team if you ask me. I think they win 8 games this year. In one of the better conferences, that's not too bad. We're just so used to USC being in the NC discussions every year. I think going on the road in the first game under a new coaching staff and new systems, and outplaying them in the 2nd half is pretty good.

No, we shouldn't be satisfied with a 2-point loss, but I do think it's a positive start to the season. But, of course, it won't mean anything if we play like crap this Saturday. Like Kill said, we got better as the game went on, and that's a good thing. Just have to keep it going Saturday.

And so-------what was accomplished by the Fat One's constant bashing over the past twenty years? All it did was encourage the rest of our Twin City media to rip and tear as well. Sorry Tubs, I ain't letting you off the hook quite so easily. Ever think that you might have been a detriment to the program you say you love? I'm as old as you are and I seem to have found a lot of good things to celebrate Gopher football thru the years while waiting for our turn to come.

If you've seen to much, there is a remedy. It is called retirement. He admits that he writes based on the past, not about the present. Any troll could write "Gophers sucked before, so they will suck now." The Gophers do much better than expected against a ranked team on the road, and he just mails in "moral victory." I don't consider it a victory, but it does seem to indicate that there may be some things going right in Gophers football. Not every opponent is going to be USC, after all.

So, if he's seen too much, and is just too tired of it to pay attention to the present, it's time to step aside. There will be plenty of qualified applicants.

I love the tone. You kids just don't understand. You accept mediocrity, whilst I, the lone voice in the wilderness, still demand excellence. I'd say Pat's up in an ivory tower, but I'm pretty sure the building hasn't been dreamed of that could support the fat pile of failure. Look, Pat's a troll. It's a recognized internet term, but Pat was doing it before the internetz were even a gleam in AlGore's eye. He loves angering people. He loves poking sports fans. That's what he does, because it's easy. It's tough to research. It's hard to analyze the local sports scene. It's easy to cough up a story every few days about how things were great in the sixties, and how terrible every team in town is. At least Sid TRIES, for goodness sake. Pat's an okay writer, technically. He's not as bad as Souhan. Fully 80 percent of the people on this board could do a better job as a columnist. But he's so lazy. And so filled with bile. I've just given up on him. Don't listen to him, don't read him, why bother?

Good lord. Let go of your bitterness people. This column was actually good. At least save your venom for when it's warranted.

We all deal with our fandom in different ways. I've said it before and I'll say it again - Reusse is an emotionally invested fan of this program, just like the rest of us knuckleheads on here everyday.

Sure, I was turned off when he bad-mouthed Brewster from day 1. But was he wrong? You gotta give him credit when it is due. Yeah, he's not as happy as some of us about this Saturday's game, and he just explained why. But Reusse is on the Kill Bandwagon (well as much as Reusse can be on a bandwagon) - that's a positive sign for me.

His articles are styled the same basic way he converses. He doesn't sugar coat the sh*t and doesn't try to make everything into a 1-liner comedy routine. He represents a distinct part of the Gophers fan base. If he wasn't paid to be there, maybe he wouldn't be at every game. But you damn well know he'd be watching every game - throwing his remote and yelling at Jamaal Harris

I agree howeda7

Good lord. Let go of your bitterness people. This column was actually good. At least save your venom for when it's warranted.

I'm not a fan of his either but this was a legit response to the vitriol over the USC article. He is an actual fan of Gopher football, and makes a living writing about it; a tenous position in any market.

I agree with some of Reusse's comments and disagree with others.

Same with Souhan.

Same thing with GH posters.

Such is life.

He is (and has been) an emotionally invested Gopher fan, yes. However, he is (and has been) in a uniquely different situation then most Gopher fans: He is a popular media voice. And media voices can both strengthen or disparage programs. With that in mind:

(1) Can he honestly say that he has helped Gopher football with his words? and (2) What are the fruits of his labor? (Do Reusse fans love the Gophers? etc)

I am actually curious about this. I rarely read his stuff.

Great column. I'm not as old as Reusse, but I too remember the pre-futility Gophers. He gets a bit too snarky for me at times, but I think Pat hits this one right.

I've always thought that the real problem for the Gopher program is that the massive bowl expansion came a couple of decades too late. Stoll would have had a couple of more bowl teams and that would have kept the program vibrant and we could have avoided the Salem diversion that turned everything South. Holtz/Gutey brought the program part of the way back and Gutey, like Stoll, would have had a few more bowl appearances. But then Wacker came long and we're back in the soup. Mason brought respectability and although I thought he played out his hand, it's obvious now that Brewster was the wrong guy to replace him.

I think one of the things Reusse hits at here is that we've had four decades of losing games in very imaginative ways. We've also seen four decades where sloppy play and the failure of players to get better year-to-year have really put a crimp in things. I think that is going to stop with Kill. I'm tired of moral victories, but I am even more tired of sloppy play and boneheaded mistakes.

As for Reusse's influence on the program, probably not a whole lot. I respect every coach and kid who has been in the program, but it's hard to sugarcoat things and have people believe it. Sid has been the exact opposite. Has he helped?

if any recruit chooses to not go play and get an education at the U or any other school because of what some media members write or say about the program then they should go somewhere else.

Back in our day, when someone called out our girlfriend, best friend or Mom, that drew a hostile response and likely they got one in the chops. Same standard here Pat.

Back in our day, when someone called out our girlfriend, best friend or Mom, that drew a hostile response and likely they got one in the chops. Same standard here Pat.

Yup.

No excuses.

Pat reminds me of my boss. Every time there's a rule change in any sport, he always complains that "it was better in the old days."

We all come of age as sports fans in a certain era. For me, it was the mid to late 60's. I'm a baseball fan, and I still think the teams of that era were better than most of today's teams, so I can understand where Reusse is coming from. But, at the same time, I'm realistic enough to understand that times change, and sports change.

I loved to watch those great wishbone offenses of the 60's at Ohio State, Oklahoma and others - but that doesn't mean I want the wishbone to come back. (although I think MarQueis would be a heck of a wishbone QB - maybe for short yardage situations.)

In the era Pat grew up in, only 1 team from the Big 10 went to a bowl game. The teams from the major conferences all played each other in non-conference games, because (unless they were national championship contenders), a non-conference loss didn't hurt your chances of going to a bowl game, and it helped draw fans. Pat, like my boss, thinks things were better in the old days. That's his perogative. I don't agree with him, but I don't hold it against him. The good lord willing, I hope to live long enough to be a grumpy old man someday, telling young kids who don't care how Willie Mays and Hank Aaron were better than the players they like.

The issue with Reusse is he is bitter about the program from the 60's on. You could probably find many of the older fans who feel the same way. They just don't have the opportunity to write about it. Hell, I've been there for all of the "what if", but I still keep coming back. The problem with |Reusse is he has lost his mojo for the Gophers. He is in his mid 60's and can't shuck lose of the glory years that got him hooked as a 9 year old kid.
He is also not in the best of health which adds venom to his writings. The last time I saw Reusse was out at the Cal game coming out of Famous Amos with a bag of cookies. We were behind him as he started making the trek up the hill to the stadium. He didn't get 50 yards and he had to stop.
At that rate we figured it was going to take him 30-40 minutes to get to the press box. The quickest way to add too the aging process is living in the past. Patrick is mid 60's going on mid 80's.

My problem is that Reusse wrote one article that basically stated "you lost a winnable game on the road, and you're irrationally exuberant about that". Most people posting here were stating that we were not happy with the loss, but we can see the forest through the trees, and we have some genuine optimism about our potential growth after that game.

He follows that up with an article that states (as best as I can interpret) "we used to be better and there are too many damn bowl games". His closing line is: "Worse, I remember too much. I can't forget when playing real teams from real conferences was the norm. I can't forget when the Gophers - and the rest of the Big Ten, for that matter - had standards." Time to open your eyes and examine college football in the new millennium, Patrick. Not every game will be against a BCS opponent, and in case you weren't paying attention, you wrote your previous column about the Gophers playing the very type of team you lambaste them for not playing. Forgive me if I have trouble following your logic.

Imagine someone who worked for a car magazine, and had the job of reviewing new cars. You would expect that this person would do the research and be an expert on the new cars he reviewed - what's the point in reading the review otherwise? But instead, he just says "This model has sucked for a long time, so I'm just going to assume the new model sucks too."

In summary: "Back in my day, things were so much better." Thanks old man.

Omega...the hell of it is, I too, am an old man, and I remember. I can only hope, that when YOU are an old man, that you will have the memories and the history of us, the old men that you seem to disdain.

Omega...the hell of it is, I too, am an old man, and I remember. I can only hope, that when YOU are an old man, that you will have the memories and the history of us, the old men that you seem to disdain.

I have no beef with old people, I have beef with "back in my day, everything was better." Nostalgia isn't necessarily a good thing. Reusse's problems with Gopher football go way beyond wins and losses. He is longing for a time and feeling about Gopher football that have passed. No matter what happens on the field he will never get that back.

I have no beef with old people, I have beef with "back in my day, everything was better." Nostalgia isn't necessarily a good thing. Reusse's problems with Gopher football go way beyond wins and losses. He is longing for a time and feeling about Gopher football that have passed. No matter what happens on the field he will never get that back.

Then why do you insult old people as part of your comment?

We all deal with our fandom in different ways. I've said it before and I'll say it again - Reusse is an emotionally invested fan of this program, just like the rest of us knuckleheads on here everyday.

Sure, I was turned off when he bad-mouthed Brewster from day 1. But was he wrong? You gotta give him credit when it is due. Yeah, he's not as happy as some of us about this Saturday's game, and he just explained why. But Reusse is on the Kill Bandwagon (well as much as Reusse can be on a bandwagon) - that's a positive sign for me.

His articles are styled the same basic way he converses. He doesn't sugar coat the sh*t and doesn't try to make everything into a 1-liner comedy routine. He represents a distinct part of the Gophers fan base. If he wasn't paid to be there, maybe he wouldn't be at every game. But you damn well know he'd be watching every game - throwing his remote and yelling at Jamaal Harris

There you go, ruining my day. I had actually forgotten about him, finally!

Top Bottom