restructuring the student section

I guess I was thinking of the stadium fee. It's been a while since I've been at the U. Nonetheless, $25 from every single student so that you can host a few events a year? Those couldn't have been done without a new stadium? C'mon. It's a $25 fee for the football team.

Could have? Sure. I guess I'll take expanded total space so that MORE job fairs and events like that can be taken place, which is only better for students. If space was a limiting factor for hosting things like the First Robot competitions for HS/college kids, then yeah it's great to have another space. And keep in mind intramural sports get to play there for all games (just like hockey plays in Mariucci). I honestly haven't heard a student complain about it. Considering there's a capital enhancement fee that's 6x the stadium fee, a transportation fee to subsidize the U-Pass (that not everyone utilizes) that is 1.5x the stadium fee, I don't know how this could really be a sticking point for students.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...ollege-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1

The athletic department operates with about 8 million in average from school support. A lot of that support is pretty run-of-the-mill (the link explains the methodology), but there are schools (Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan) that receive and require no such school support at all.

http://www.mndaily.com/2012/02/01/athletics-dept-aims-self-reliance

You are right, part of the "income" the AD sees is a subsidy from the U. However, that amount is not $8M as you stated but 2.3 in FY2011 (not a running average that included years without TCF). I would say that parking revenue easily covers this, evening up the score (for example, 15,000 parking spots at $15 per game for 7 games is $1.575M and that's only football, no hockey/basketball). But fine, yes, the general fund of the U has subsidized the AD

So? Why is that a bad thing? Most of the students don't give a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# about the football team now, so I'll take a revolt over total apathy. Also, many quality programs (like Notre Dame), don't charge anything for student tickets. It's not that abnormal, and in those places it's considered a benefit of being part of the student community.

What other quality programs beyond Notre Dame? There are none in the Big Ten other than Northwestern (and that tactic hasn't increased student attendance). Without scouring every athletic website for every BCS school, I found this doc that details a few schools, Tennessee being the only "quality" program out there. UVA also does it but subsidizes the AD with $9M ($607 from each student). Minnesota is already the 3rd lowest price in the Big Ten (with Indiana and NW being the 2 cheaper). Price should not be an excuse. Any lower and you take away "value" of the program and event. People often view free stuff as worthless stuff.

Top Bottom