Report: USC and UCLA planning to join BIG TEN.

Is this real? I would assume Oregon wouldn't be far behind if so... Big 12 and Pac 12 are losing credibility fast... This also makes absolutely no sense for those two. Imagine traveling to Maryland or Rutgers for a Tuesday night basketball game.

Many places now reporting this....what?!?!?

I dont want to be old get off my lawn guy but USC and UCLA in the Big 10?? This is a disaster. So this is going to happen can we just boot out Rutgers and MD?

Is this real? I would assume Oregon wouldn't be far behind if so... Big 12 and Pac 12 are losing credibility fast... This also makes absolutely no sense for those two. Imagine traveling to Maryland or Rutgers for a Tuesday night basketball game.
Big change, but this makes more sense to me than just adding SC. I would expect that there will be some coordinated scheduling to cut travel costs and travel time in sports like basketball, volleyball, soccer, etc., so that, for example, Minnesota and wisconsin will go out to LA and play each team there in a single weekend and then the Trojans and Bruins will fly to Michigan the next weekend and each play UM and MSU.

MONEY.

this puts the B1G in the L.A. TV Market - the #2 TV market in the Country.

more sets + more viewers = one big stinkin' TV rights deal.

It also makes the B1G a "national" conference - more so than the SEC.

and some great late-night TV viewing. Gopher football or Hoops at USC or UCLA - game starting at 8:00 or 9:00pm Central time.

having said that - the key will be how the new conference is organized and what type of scheduling rotation is adopted.

I would not be surprised if the Gophers only made a west-coast road trip every other year.

BIGTEN Network $$$$$$$$$$$$. I like it. And then you think about scheduling for them but nobody from the Gophers will complain about having to visit UCLA and bunk in Beverly Hills.

I bet the SEC commish dropped his coffee on himself while reading this news...

No clue if this is real or not but I am all for USC & UCLA joining the B1G.

So reports are SEC and B10 want to each get to 20. B10 would be at 16 now, ND and Oregon are the easy 2 logical ones. The other 2 are tricky, you assume at this point they want Texas. That leaves TCU and Tex Tech. TCU I think makes more sense in Dal/FtW. Then what, Ok St? Good wrestling, solid in football (T Boone) and basketball. Az St, huge school, has hockey to add a team, AZ great bball program awful football. Or do they punt the southwest and just go for Duke/UNC and build the best bball conf imaginable.

So reports are SEC and B10 want to each get to 20. B10 would be at 16 now, ND and Oregon are the easy 2 logical ones. The other 2 are tricky, you assume at this point they want Texas. That leaves TCU and Tex Tech. TCU I think makes more sense in Dal/FtW. Then what, Ok St? Good wrestling, solid in football (T Boone) and basketball. Az St, huge school, has hockey to add a team, AZ great bball program awful football. Or do they punt the southwest and just go for Duke/UNC and build the best bball conf imaginable.
I'd say ND, Stanford, Oregon and Washington. But I fear Stanford and CAL will be a package deal.

I'd say ND, Stanford, Oregon and Washington. But I fear Stanford and CAL will be a package deal.
I think they would say hey we got LA and Nike out west, we dont need anymore, thus why I think they go south to either get Texas or down in NC. If they wanted to stay more north i think uVA and Ia St make some sense.

I think they would say hey we got LA and Nike out west, we dont need anymore, thus why I think they go south to either get Texas or down in NC. If they wanted to stay more north i think uVA and Ia St make some sense.
UVa and Mizzou would be excellent and stealing one from the SEC would be sweet.

UA-ASU would bring the #11 market (Phoenix) into the picture plus adding in the Tuscon market, they would be #8.

Plus they are still growing faster that a lot of the east coast markets.

UA-ASU would bring the #11 market (Phoenix) into the picture plus adding in the Tuscon market, they would be #8.

Plus they are still growing faster that a lot of the east coast markets.
Plus lots of ex-Minnesotans and road games...

article in ESPN with details.
Big surprise - has a lot to do with TV rights deals.

The reason this move would be less disruptive than potential moves in the ACC is that USC and UCLA have a grant of rights tied to the current Pac-12 television contract, which expires after the 2023 football season and 2023-24 school year. That's why the expectation is that both schools can go to the league for the 2024-25 season and not suffer any financial penalty.

Pac-12 officials had been nudging both Los Angeles schools for years to extend the grant of rights. The fact that they didn't hinted that they had greater ambition.

i like both campuses. I think each school brings in about $700M each year in donations (about twice what the U brings in). the schools have plenty of money
so, does this mean the U will add a womens beach volleyball team?

Just from the perspective of adding these two as mens basketball teams to the conference and ignoring the larger financial aspect of it (which I know is huge), I think it is sort of "meh".

Depending on what the schedule looks like, it's possible Gophers could play both on a single road trip and would present a opportunity for fans to travel in the heart of winter. Also, if you are a night owl, the Pacific timezone slot might provide a few more late night games.

Otherwise, UCLA has the history and will be a good opponent; USC not so much.

i like both campuses. I think each school brings in about $700M each year in donations (about twice what the U brings in). the schools have plenty of money
I think it's more likely we add ice fishing as a sport.

I want water polo. We’ve got a nice pool.

I'm OK with Cal instead of Oregon. Top school. B1G would own the Bay area market.

On a positive note. We are in this "super conference " which means we should be in the top tier of money makers. No more having to hire a guy to save money or keep a guy because the buyout is too high. Also more NIL funds

On a positive note. We are in this "super conference " which means we should be in the top tier of money makers. No more having to hire a guy to save money or keep a guy because the buyout is too high. Also more NIL funds
More money but still at the bottom of the league doesn’t advance us much though. Five percent raises are nice but when inflation is ten percent, you’re still losing five.

Related, I do wonder if it becomes harder to get coaches to the middling teams because the super conference is hard to win in. Who knows.

This move was done purely for FB reasons. BB was a secondary thought. Texas has just moved to the SEC starting this fall or next along with OU. They are not coming to the Big 10.

This lines up perfectly with Lincoln Rileys thinking. He bolted OU because he wanted nothing to do with the SEC. He will do just fine in the Big 10.

a lot of buzz and chatter out there about Notre Dame.

I've seen tweets from a couple of college football guys claiming that the B1G is basically waiting on Notre Dame to make a decision.

according to one story, Oregon and Washington have reached out to the B1G about possible membership, but the B1G replied that they are waiting for Notre Dame to decide before any other moves are made.

I know this is the basketball board, but adding Notre Dame for Football would make the B1G media rights deal ridiculous.

people were already predicting a $1Billion deal. add Notre Dame to that...........who the bleep knows.

estimates that under the new deal, each B1G school will get $100Million a year.

Top Bottom