Report: Mark Turgeon could be looking for exit from Maryland per 247

Crazy, he only has 2 yrs left on his contract. Just a year ago the Terps had a share of the Big 10 regular season title. If he had wanted out badly, Iowa St would have been perfect.

Crazy, he only has 2 yrs left on his contract. Just a year ago the Terps had a share of the Big 10 regular season title. If he had wanted out badly, Iowa St would have been perfect.
He’s a hard guy to like. More of a southern guy too. Maybe SEC?

More of a southern guy too. Maybe SEC?

He grew up in Kansas, went to Kansas, coached at Wichita State.

Article specifically said he wanted to find a landing spot in the midwest.

They really do not like him at Maryland, and he is sort of grating, but his team really turned it on late in the year. He is viewed as sort of a hay bale city midwest hick out there.

I hate the pick and roll/ ISO attack, and he had a great approach with 5 great athletes on the floor and switches on every pick.

Maryland looked great and played the kind of ball down the stretch I really like to see, but faded in the second half and fell. I really respect what Maryland (and Illinois before they shit it down their legs) did this year in terms of up temp, pressure basketball.

No doubt they are tired of him at Maryland, and I think Marquette would be great spot for him.

He’s a hard guy to like. More of a southern guy too. Maybe SEC?

I actually like him, going back to that tourney in Anaheim we were at. I was able sit within a few seats of the Texas A&M bench for one of them, could hear basically every word he said.

Maryland opening would be a kick in the gut for Indiana unless they are going with Keith Smart or want Turgeon. Maryland is a better job at this point.

Maryland opening would be a kick in the gut for Indiana unless they are going with Keith Smart or want Turgeon. Maryland is a better job at this point.
Maybe, but I wouldn't go that far. Indiana can get "big fish" coaches to at least consider them, but they might not land them. MD can't really attract those types, but they'll do fine.

I actually like him, going back to that tourney in Anaheim we were at. I was able sit within a few seats of the Texas A&M bench for one of them, could hear basically every word he said.
People make different impressions. Always struck me as being obnoxious and right up there with Crean and Archie Miller in do less with more club.

Seems Turgeon did more with less this season. Really surprised to see him leave.
This year may have been an exception but he did have some really good players. They were a better team out of the box than most people gave them credit for. Needed to learn a new style of play without a five star big.

This year may have been an exception but he did have some really good players. They were a better team out of the box than most people gave them credit for. Needed to learn a new style of play without a five star big.
True, never got to see what he could do with last year's team through. Probably should have won the conference outright with that talent.

He grew up in Kansas, went to Kansas, coached at Wichita State.

Article specifically said he wanted to find a landing spot in the midwest.
Does Kansas even get to qualify as the midwest?

I think of it like Oklahoma. Never a place I'd want to live, me personally.

If Nebraska counts, so does Kansas. Basically if there is a Menards location, you can consider it midwest lol

Well, KC suburbs and Lawrence is one thing. Outside of that, hard no.

Witchita, like Omaha, is just an overgrown Fargo/Sioux Falls.

Omaha feels more like the Mpls/St Paul than the other metro areas you have listed. They host quite a few big time NCAA events, have a Big East school, get national touring acts to their arena, Warren Buffett/Berkshire Hathaway, insurance companies...heck they even had an NBA team (sorta for like a minute).

Omaha feels more like the Mpls/St Paul than the other metro areas you have listed. They host quite a few big time NCAA events, have a Big East school, get national touring acts to their arena, Warren Buffett/Berkshire Hathaway, insurance companies...heck they even had an NBA team (sorta for like a minute).
Still a hard pass from me, and closer to Fargo than TC. But fair points, to each their own.

Yes Kansas is Midwest.

And, curious what does where you would want to live have to do with defining whether Kansas is in the Midwest? You seem to post a lot about places you don't want to live (especially small towns and small states).

The Midwest as defined by the US government for census purposes:
midwest.png

Yes Kansas is Midwest.
If I was making the definition, I would exclude Great Plains states and Missouri.

And, curious what does where you would want to live have to do with defining whether Kansas is in the Midwest?
Me not wanting to live in Oklahoma, which Kansas is much more like than say Minnesota or Michigan, in of itself does not matter for it being Midwest or not. Got me there.

(especially small towns and small states).
Kansas is the 15th largest state.

Top Bottom