Report: Brew to get 5 yr contract

Wow - so essentially a 3 year extension. Sounds like Maturi is sticking with his man. I thought a 2 year extension was the right move, but I'm also not an athletic director at a major university.

What is the track record of this site? Anyone know? I'm going to flag as "questionable" until I see something more solid than a one line blurb off a site I've never heard of before. Especially since the terms of the supposed deal are much sweeter (in terms of years) than anything previously reported upon.

What is the track record of this site? Anyone know? I'm going to flag as "questionable" until I see something more solid than a one line blurb off a site I've never heard of before. Especially since the terms of the supposed deal are much sweeter (in terms of years) than anything previously reported upon.

Probably as good as all of the rumors that flare up on GopherHole?

Footballscoop.com is usually pretty good. It's traffic is nearly all coaches, and the sources it uses is pretty much all coaches as well (they openly solicit coaches to provide them "scoop").

It's particularly good for random stuff - for instance, this will be a site folks will want to check out for potential OC candidates (should the position potentially come open).

So, we'll see!

Footballscoop.com is usually pretty good. It's traffic is nearly all coaches, and the sources it uses is pretty much all coaches as well (they openly solicit coaches to provide them "scoop").

It's particularly good for random stuff - for instance, this will be a site folks will want to check out for potential OC candidates (should the position potentially come open).

So, we'll see!

Good to know. Well, if true the buyout clause better remain VERY favorable to the U or Maturi deserves a kick in the junk.

Agreed, and should things getter better and the Brew all of a sudden becomes a comodity, he better remember who stuck by him when things weren't so great!

Lets hope we have to face that problem.

I don't care how many years it is as long as the buy-out stays low. But to give him this and then refuse to do anything if he goes 3-9 simply because of the money means Maturi is the one who needs to go.

Agreed, and should things getter better and the Brew all of a sudden becomes a comodity, he better remember who stuck by him when things weren't so great!

Lets hope we have to face that problem.

I agree with this post. I know we don't like that prospect, but let's face it, we haven't exactly had hot commodity coaches around these parts in quite a while, so if Brewster does blow up and is that guy, while it'll suck, I'll manage cause that means we're having some actual real success for once.

So, we'll see!

Footballscoop.com is good. Footballcoachscoop.com is not. They are two different sites.

I liked the idea of a 2 year extension, but I'll take a 3 year deal if the alternative was 1 year or no extension.

If this is true, the worst part of it all is that it's so late in the recruiting process that it's hurt us more than it's helped us.

If this is true, the worst part of it all is that it's so late in the recruiting process that it's hurt us more than it's helped us.

I agree with that. This should have been done in early December. Maturi's timetable doesn't fit college football.

That's what the link is from the OP. I was doing some reading on it and it said the site was the first to announce that Chan Gailey as the new coach of the Cowboys. The site can't be that bad.

I don't think this site has been around since 1998.

It has!

I don't think this site has been around since 1998.
Actually, it has. The Gopherhole goes way, way back. I started following around 1997, but it's roots were earlier than that. Dave Christianson ran it then. Is he still around in this site is some shape or fashion?

Actually, it has. The Gopherhole goes way, way back. I started following around 1997, but it's roots were earlier than that. Dave Christianson ran it then. Is he still around in this site is some shape or fashion?

Not GopherHole. Footballcoachscoop.com.

I'm not sure what the existence of the GopherHole has to do with footballcoachscoop.com supposedly breaking the news that Chan Gailey was hired by the Cowboys.

I don't care how many years it is as long as the buy-out stays low. But to give him this and then refuse to do anything if he goes 3-9 simply because of the money means Maturi is the one who needs to go.

Completely agree. I have already gone on record as saying I don't think Brewster deserves an extension, but if he is to get one, that buyout clause better be really on the cheap. But I have my doubts there as well. Maturi has talked in so many circles about what he expects from a football coach and from the football program, I really don't have any confidence in him to get it right whatsoever. And as a result, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Maturi bloated the buyout clause and got us stuck in a bad position.

That's what the link is from the OP. I was doing some reading on it and it said the site was the first to announce that Chan Gailey as the new coach of the Cowboys. The site can't be that bad.

My bad; I wasn't reading closely enough.

I was wondering... I go to footballscoop.com often and had five minutes before I saw this and saw nothing on Brew or the U of M

The buyout needs to be next to nothing in that contract.

Completely agree. I have already gone on record as saying I don't think Brewster deserves an extension, but if he is to get one, that buyout clause better be really on the cheap. But I have my doubts there as well. Maturi has talked in so many circles about what he expects from a football coach and from the football program, I really don't have any confidence in him to get it right whatsoever. And as a result, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Maturi bloated the buyout clause and got us stuck in a bad position.

I don't have much faith in Maturi either. If you're doing this as 5 years purely for recruiting and keeping the buy-out low, then it should have been done long ago. How much good will it do for this year's recruiting at this point? I fear this is a legit 3-year extension with a much higher buyout, which means Brew will be hear through 2011 come hell or high water. 4-8 is not out of the question next year, which would lead to a sad, half-empty TCF in 2011 if Brew is retained.

I don't have much faith in Maturi either. If you're doing this as 5 years purely for recruiting and keeping the buy-out low, then it should have been done long ago. How much good will it do for this year's recruiting at this point? I fear this is a legit 3-year extension with a much higher buyout, which means Brew will be hear through 2011 come hell or high water. 4-8 is not out of the question next year, which would lead to a sad, half-empty TCF in 2011 if Brew is retained.

2 for 2 with your recent posts H7. There is no reason this couldn't have been done at the end of the season and if Maturi is dumb enough to make it financially painful to fire a coach on the hotseat then he does need to go.

Here's hoping he did the right thing with the buyout (even if the extension came too late in the game this year).

I agree with this post. I know we don't like that prospect, but let's face it, we haven't exactly had hot commodity coaches around these parts in quite a while, so if Brewster does blow up and is that guy, while it'll suck, I'll manage cause that means we're having some actual real success for once.

Brewster is only using this opportunity to springboard to a better job if successful. I hope the next few weeks garner some better recruits because this is turning into a disaster. I was pumped when we hired Brewster because of his ability to recruit, but there have been some very disturbing trends that have forced me to think differently. Most of his coaches are one timers. Davis would probably be out of here as well if we don't offer him the OC position.

I'm going to say that I want the U to hire a guy and staff that has ties to the program and want to be here(I didn't always believe this). Iowa is good because they get their 2-star linemen recruits, redshirt them, build them up over three years, and then they start as Juniors and Seniors. We need a staff that is capable of doing this. Right now the Gordy Shaws of the world are looking real good. Bringing in Fisch was a disaster. He didn't have the right offense and he's now obviously going to loose us a couple of recruits. Not a great way to conclude an already questionable season. I will support Brewster's efforts for one more year. Three years will be enough to evaluate if he has the program going in the right direction.

Oh yeah, and I know many think that it is OK to loose some of our better players in the state to other schools but they are adding up pretty big. Floyd, Mobley, Bryant, McNeil, and most likely Henderson. That sucks.

Brewster is only using this opportunity to springboard to a better job if successful. I hope the next few weeks garner some better recruits because this is turning into a disaster. I was pumped when we hired Brewster because of his ability to recruit, but there have been some very disturbing trends that have forced me to think differently. Most of his coaches are one timers. Davis would probably be out of here as well if we don't offer him the OC position.

I'm going to say that I want the U to hire a guy and staff that has ties to the program and want to be here(I didn't always believe this). Iowa is good because they get their 2-star linemen recruits, redshirt them, build them up over three years, and then they start as Juniors and Seniors. We need a staff that is capable of doing this. Right now the Gordy Shaws of the world are looking real good. Bringing in Fisch was a disaster. He didn't have the right offense and he's now obviously going to loose us a couple of recruits. Not a great way to conclude an already questionable season. I will support Brewster's efforts for one more year. Three years will be enough to evaluate if he has the program going in the right direction.

Oh yeah, and I know many think that it is OK to loose some of our better players in the state to other schools but they are adding up pretty big. Floyd, Mobley, Bryant, McNeil, and most likely Henderson. That sucks.

And from what well of successful coaching regimes do you suggest we draw this "Minnesota Man" and his staff? Its a great sentiment, but I don't think our coaching tree (via previous coaches or former U players) is strong enough to make this a workable reality.

Footballcoachscoop is the same site that got a random fictional email from a ND guy saying ND was about to hire Bret Bielema trying to see how quickly a rumor spreads. The rumor made it on many nightly news shows in Madison and Notre Dame.

I wouldn't put too much stock in it, but who knows, they could be on to something.

My bad; I wasn't reading closely enough.

I was wondering... I go to footballscoop.com often and had five minutes before I saw this and saw nothing on Brew or the U of M

That is because footballscoop.com doesn't post anything unsubstantiated. Footballcoachscoop.com does. They are not nearly as reliable.

Top Bottom