Remaining path to win the west

I don't know much about the Purdue-Indiana "rivalry"... the Oaken Bucket trophy, I think?

Is it actually an intense, hard-fought, important game to those two schools? If it is, those type of games can be somewhat less predictable. The underdog might be highly motivated to have one decent win to end their season.
Yes it is. Its the protected rivalry game and has a ton of history. Indiana should be motivated for it as well as Purdue kicked the shit out of them last year in it. And they have a chance. This is a team that beat Illinois this year

Keep in mind Illinois/Northwestern and Purdue/Indiana are rivalry games, so anything could happen in the last weekend. Hopefully, the Gophers will still be in it going to Madtown.
That would be great, wouldn't it?

I know it's going to take a miracle, but what the hell. Let's revive it, for S's n G's.

Gophers:
Nov 5 - @ Neb
Nov 12 - NW
Nov 19 - Iowa
Nov 26 - @ Wisc

Purdue:
Nov 5 - Iowa
Nov 12 - @Illinois
Nov 19 - NW
Nov 26 - @ IU

Illinois:
Nov 5 - MS
Nov 12 - Purdue
Nov 19 - @ Mich
Nov 26 - @ NW

- To even have a discussion, we have to start off assuming the Gophers run the table. That gives Neb, Iowa, and Wisc another conf loss (at least) and puts us fully above them all.
- Need Purdue to drop two more
- Need Illinois to drop three more

We can probably count on ILL losing to Michigan. So then, we need Purdue to beat ILL in their rivalry game. Still then need ILL to drop one more, either this coming week they play Mich State at home, or at the end of the year they play NW in Evanston for the in-state rivalry.

Can Fitz rally the troops to pull off the miracle?? Does ILL somehow overlook MSU and MSU rallies itself from this past weekend's ugliness?

With Purdue beating ILL, we really need Iowa to pick up the win this coming weekend. Not sure if NW can get it done, so might have to hope Purdue loses on the road to IU in their in-state rivalry.

Wow, what a potential season ending weekend, with maybe all these deciding the outcome of the West: Minn-Wisc, ILL-NW, and Purdue-IU.
I can see NW knocking off Ill or Purdue after this week's effort.

I think it will be a relatively close game Saturday, and we might have lost if we didn't have the comeback, but the lads will be focused, engaged and the receivers must be giddy - look for Dylan to really step up the rest of the season as he knows he has a QB who can get him the ball consistently.

The reason we want Purdue to win is that Purdue has two chances to get upset.

Whereas Illinois only has one.

Which is more likely:
If purdue wins,
Purdue loses to northwestern OR Indiana

Or

If illinois wins
Illinois loses to Michigan AND Northwestern

I see the first thing as more likely so I prefer Purdue winning. At the end of the day Indiana or northwestern has to win…so it’s unlikely

There are other variables as well. For instance, if Purdue wins…Iowa and Wisconsin still alive longer
If Illinois wins Iowa and Wisconsin are out faster
Yes, and I am "eliminating" IA and WI by assuming we win out, beating both of them. I'm hoping Purdue beats Illinois, because I think it leads to Illinois's automatic "elimination" the following week (assuming we win out). Then I just pray for Indiana to take out Purdue.

I don't know much about the Purdue-Indiana "rivalry"... the Oaken Bucket trophy, I think?

Is it actually an intense, hard-fought, important game to those two schools? If it is, those type of games can be somewhat less predictable. The underdog might be highly motivated to have one decent win to end their season.
I don't think there is a trophy for Illinois-Purdue. I think Oaken is Purdue-IU.

It's two nerd schools. Computer science, engineering, etc. And they're fairly close to each other. They care about beating each other.

Yes, and I am "eliminating" IA and WI by assuming we win out, beating both of them. I'm hoping Purdue beats Illinois, because I think it leads to Illinois's automatic "elimination" the following week (assuming we win out). Then I just pray for Indiana to take out Purdue.
I feel Purdue is more likely to just randomly lay an egg but that’s only because I’m friends with Purdue fans.
I would love Indiana to beat Purdue at 11am game making a 2:30 8-3 Minnesota vs 7-4 wisconsin a defecto big ten west championship game thanksgiving weekend

I don't think there is a trophy for Illinois-Purdue. I think Oaken is Purdue-IU.

It's two nerd schools. Computer science, engineering, etc. And they're fairly close to each other. They care about beating each other.

Purdue-Indiana is what I said. You misread my post.

I can see NW knocking off Ill or Purdue after this week's effort.

I think it will be a relatively close game Saturday, and we might have lost if we didn't have the comeback, but the lads will be focused, engaged and the receivers must be giddy - look for Dylan to really step up the rest of the season as he knows he has a QB who can get him the ball consistently.
So apparently it was some really crazy weather yesterday.

OSU's coach claiming it was impossible to throw the ball for an entire half. They still won easily, don't think the game was ever in doubt. But you need a good amount of explosive plays if you want to win like 40-50 points.

A similar thing happened in Madison. Maryland could not do its normal offense.

Regardless, we need to worry about Purdue beating Illinois, before we worry about IU beating Purdue.

So, that's what I was going for.

So folks:

GOOD news -- what basically had to happen this week, happened: Gophers won, Illinois loses, Purdue, loses.

BAD news -- here comes Iowa and Wisconsin. Huge confidence builders for both. I don't think there's any chance in hell, that by the time we get to our trophy games with them, that it's going to be as relatively "easy" we were thinking even a couple weeks ago.

Both would love nothing more than to prevent us from getting back into the West title discussion, while at the same time winning their trophy.

So folks:

GOOD news -- what basically had to happen this week, happened: Gophers won, Illinois loses, Purdue, loses.

BAD news -- here comes Iowa and Wisconsin. Huge confidence builders for both. I don't think there's any chance in hell, that by the time we get to our trophy games with them, that it's going to be as relatively "easy" we were thinking even a couple weeks ago.

Both would love nothing more than to prevent us from getting back into the West title discussion, while at the same time winning their trophy.

I agree, but (speaking strictly for myself), I never thought beating Iowa or Wisconsin would be easy.

Easy wins against those two are pretty rare.

Keep in mind, no matter who wins the West: if the Gophers win out, they'll be 9-3 with a decent bowl bid and a chance at 10 wins. That's a very good season.
It would be. But we've had that recently. My expectation at the beginning of the season was to win the West. I'm still not prepared to settle. But maybe I'll come around.

The reason we want Purdue to win is that Purdue has two chances to get upset.

Whereas Illinois only has one.

Which is more likely:
If purdue wins,
Purdue loses to northwestern OR Indiana

Or

If illinois wins
Illinois loses to Michigan AND Northwestern

I see the first thing as more likely so I prefer Purdue winning. At the end of the day Indiana or northwestern has to win…so it’s unlikely

There are other variables as well. For instance, if Purdue wins…Iowa and Wisconsin still alive longer
If Illinois wins Iowa and Wisconsin are out faster
This is the most likely scenario given the Gophers would win out!

We all want to get to Pasadena, but 9-3 with the Pix and the Axe and a good bowl is a slam dunk great season. Still on the table.

It would be. But we've had that recently. My expectation at the beginning of the season was to win the West. I'm still not prepared to settle. But maybe I'll come around.

What we haven't had recently is possession of both Floyd and the Axe in the same season.

Purdue and Illinois play for the cannon, it is a rivalry.

Litttle trivia- I'm pretty sure West Lafayette and Champaign are the two closest Big Ten campuses to each other (geographically).

The Oaken Bucket game is important enough to have messed up B1G conference scheduling for years.

What we haven't had recently is possession of both Floyd and the Axe in the same season.
True. Fleck has never beat Iowa (I think). But that would still just be a consolation prize to me.

The #Gophers have a path to a Big Ten West title. A lot has to happen, but it's not impossible.

-Gophers need to win out, finish 9-3
-Illinois needs to lose 2 between Purdue, Michigan and Northwestern
-Purdue needs to beat Illinois, and lose to either Northwestern or Indiana.

The #Gophers have a path to a Big Ten West title. A lot has to happen, but it's not impossible.

-Gophers need to win out, finish 9-3
-Illinois needs to lose 2 between Purdue, Michigan and Northwestern
-Purdue needs to beat Illinois, and lose to either Northwestern or Indiana.
Yep, multiple previous posts have laid out this exactly same path now. 🤓

Top Bottom