Regis decommits. Anyone know why?

Does anyone think it has anything to do with the number of DT we have on the roster? Maybe that isn't, or shouldn't be a factor. But this is what we have (I think):

Dew-Treadway - Sr
Schad - Sr

Hickcox - Jr (hasn't played much)
Robinson - Jr (hasn't played much)
Teague - Jr

Kern - So (hasn't played much -- walkon?)

Cheney - RFr
Richter - RFr
Carter - RFr

Saad - 2020

Eastern - 2021 (recruited as DE, but would not be surprised if he moves inside)

Note: I'm using Sr, Jr, etc. in the sense of how many season they have left to play.

Last edited:

He thought Jerry Kill's offense was so putrid that it is the same as a defense, and he picked the least offensive defense available. Basically Kill wants him as a quarterback at TCU.

Now that TCU has been brought into the picture, I wonder what negative things Kill has said about Minnesota and Fleck?

I'm surprised that as many players have committed during the pandemic and I won't be surprised if some change their minds. It's a difficult decision for these players in the best of times. The current situation adds to the difficulty. It would have been great if Regis hadn't de-committed, but I still wish him the best.

Does anyone think it has anything to do with the number of DT we have on the roster? Maybe that isn't, or shouldn't be a factor. But this is what we have (I think):

Dew-Treadway - Sr
Schad - Sr

Hickcox - Jr (hasn't played much)
Robinson - Jr (hasn't played much)
Teague - Jr

Kern - So (hasn't played much -- walkon?)

Cheney - RFr
Richter - RFr
Carter - RFr

Eastern - 2021 (recruited as DE, but would not be surprised if he moves inside)

Note: I'm using Sr, Jr, etc. in the sense of how many season they have left to play.

You forgot to add Saad, but even still, he'd likely be in the rotation as a red shirt sophomore. I don't think anyone on the roster is entrenched as a starter at this point (outside of the seniors).

You forgot to add Saad, but even still, he'd likely be in the rotation as a red shirt sophomore. I don't think anyone on the roster is entrenched as a starter at this point (outside of the seniors).
Maybe Teague, as well? I think he has played a fair amount in two seasons as a true freshman and soph.

Thanks for catching me on Saad! Added.

An oral is written on paper?
Over Your Head Joke GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

I'm thinking a couple of those DE's committing from the 2020 class will end up at different spots (LB or DT). 5 ends and 1 DT from 2020

I'm surprised that as many players have committed during the pandemic and I won't be surprised if some change their minds. It's a difficult decision for these players in the best of times. The current situation adds to the difficulty. It would have been great if Regis hadn't de-committed, but I still wish him the best.

exactly. Some of these commits have never even been on campus nor taken official visits. Once those open up it has the potential for many kids to experience what else is out there.

Kid has to do what he feels is right for both himself and his family.

It's a long way from home and with the COVID stuff still very much in play, I can't say I blame him.

Has he eliminated the Gophers? I don't think we know for sure, although the tenor of his tweet suggests that he isn't coming here regardless. Could be reading too much into it, but that's the difficulty with Twitter.

Anyway, Fleck will almost certainly get a few more to commit and may also lose a few more, but that's all part of it.

At this point, it's a "next man up" situation imo...

17-year-old kid changes mind.

scientists amazed.

"this has never happened before...."

on a semi-related note, I was reading an article the other day about people who called off weddings at the last minute. In some cases, bride or groom literally got up in front of the church, said "I can't do this," and ran out of the church. people change their minds all the time about all types of things.

17-year-old kid changes mind.

scientists amazed.

"this has never happened before...."

on a semi-related note, I was reading an article the other day about people who called off weddings at the last minute. In some cases, bride or groom literally got up in front of the church, said "I can't do this," and ran out of the church. people change their minds all the time about all types of things.

And that is OK?

Meh. Arguing over semantics. It’s not used hyper literally in recruiting. Oh well, big hairy deal.

What’s a good word for “if nothing else changes from now onward, I’ll sign with this school at some point in the future. But something might change.” ?

What if a recruit said something like this instead:

“I’d like to announce that at this time I am solely focused on the Minnesota Gophers and coach PJ Fleck in my recruitment! Ski-U-Mah RTB!”

Would that work?

Exactly, and that ain't what it used to be. My point exactly. "A man is only as good as his word."

Oh please, quit acting like yesteryear so much better

he's a 17 year old kid deciding his future. let it go.

Do you get pissy at the recruits that had committed elsewhere but later changed their mind to the gophers? IE, Do you think Tanner Morgan is disrespectful punk? Or for that matter PJ Fleck for signing WMU extension but bolting shortly after for more money from MN?

Grown men getting upset at 17 year olds kids for not picking their favorite school is definition of pathetic.

It helps if you think of Veritas like Benjamin Button. He is clearly on the back stretch of his life and, therefore, probably about aligned with a 17-year-old mentally right now.

Top Bottom