Regarding Jonah Pirsig

says he is down to minn, iowa and wisconsin. says he likes the tradition at wisc and iowa and likes the idea of starting tradition at minnesota.

says he has idea of what school he wants to attend but needs to talk with family. has a chart in his room with pros and cons of each.

seems like level headed kid.

If proximity (so his parents can attend all the games) is of paramount importance, I don't understand how it's even a difficult decision.

From his home to:

TCF Bank Stadium ~127 miles
Kinnick Stadium ~251 miles
Camp Randall ~300 miles

Coming from a farming background myself, adding 4-6 hours to the round-trip drive every weekend is no small matter - especially during harvest. And, while we're on the subject, can anyone confirm the rumor that his trainer in Blue Earth is a Hogeye season-ticket holder? If true, that is a serious recruiting violation if he even breathes anything related to the pig-humpers while he is talking to Jonah. How has this not been addressed?

Make the right choice, Jonah!

If proximity (so his parents can attend all the games) is of paramount importance, I don't understand how it's even a difficult decision.

From his home to:

TCF Bank Stadium ~127 miles
Kinnick Stadium ~251 miles
Camp Randall ~300 miles

Coming from a farming background myself, adding 4-6 hours to the round-trip drive every weekend is no small matter - especially during harvest. And, while we're on the subject, can anyone confirm the rumor that his trainer in Blue Earth is a Hogeye season-ticket holder? If true, that is a serious recruiting violation if he even breathes anything related to the pig-humpers while he is talking to Jonah. How has this not been addressed?

Make the right choice, Jonah!

I have read on GH that the trainer is not a Hawkeye. Only in the world of the NCAA is promoting a University a violation. The irony.

I get the tradition at Iowa...Hayen Frye, Kinneck etc.

but prior to Alavarez/Shalaya (sp?) the wisco tradtion was getting rolled every saturday by everyone.

We have 6 national titles (sure a few were from when his grandparents were around, but still-six!)

I have read on GH that the trainer is not a Hawkeye.

It stated that he was not a former Hawkeye player. It didn't say anything about his season-ticket status.

Only in the world of the NCAA is promoting a University a violation.

Surely you can see how a school such as, say, Alabama, could capitalize on their superior fan numbers over a school like, say, Vanderbilt, and thus creating an even larger advantage than they already enjoy?

And of course it's "only in the world of the NCAA". These are NCAA institutions! Who else is going to monitor recruiting violations? The Department of Justice?

(P.S. Your statement isn't even true. I'm fairly certain that the NAIA and NJCAA, among others, would also take issue with schools allowing season-ticket holders to recruit for them.)

I get the tradition at Iowa...Hayen Frye, Kinneck etc.

but prior to Alavarez/Shalaya (sp?) the wisco tradtion was getting rolled every saturday by everyone.

We have 6 national titles (sure a few were from when his grandparents were around, but still-six!)

I'm a huge homer, but tradition from the 1960's no longer counts as tradition for an 18 year old kid. That's ancient history. The Badgers have played in 4 Rose Bowls (winning 3) in his lifetime. They've won much bigger much more recently. That's the tradition he's paying attention to.

This is what rivalries are all about.

Blue Earth Area has the same school colors and song as the U of M. Go Gophers!

I'm a huge homer, but tradition from the 1960's no longer counts as tradition for an 18 year old kid. That's ancient history. The Badgers have played in 4 Rose Bowls (winning 3) in his lifetime. They've won much bigger much more recently. That's the tradition he's paying attention to.

+1, Tradition from the 1960's barely matters to 40-50 year olds let alone a high school kid.

I've got to think Jonah is looking at the depth of young and talented Olinemen the U has right now and can see the potential to legitimately start a new tradition of absolute grinding, mauling offensive lines and running games here. He could be a part of a true Minnesota revolution under Coach Kill.

Or he could go to wisky/iowee and watch kids like Hayes, hopefully McDonald, Ralliss', Olsons', Nelson/Leidner, Williams, Bjorkland, Campion, Levine, DCT, Westerhaus, Edwards, Gjere, etc etc lead his homestate team into a new era. He can either become part of something special at home or watch from afar, possibly from the enemy sideline as kids from MN stand proud at what they built.

BTW folks tradition never dies no matter how old the championships are. Proud programs celebrate their history. Others pretend that college football started in the 1990's.

I've got to think Jonah is looking at the depth of young and talented Olinemen the U has right now and can see the potential to legitimately start a new tradition of absolute grinding, mauling offensive lines and running games here. He could be a part of a true Minnesota revolution under Coach Kill.

Or he could go to wisky/iowee and watch kids like Hayes, hopefully McDonald, Ralliss', Olsons', Nelson/Leidner, Williams, Bjorkland, Campion, Levine, DCT, Westerhaus, Edwards, Gjere, etc etc lead his homestate team into a new era. He can either become part of something special at home or watch from afar, possibly from the enemy sideline as kids from MN stand proud at what they built.

Great post, Ole.

I don't know what he will do (my gut tells me it will be Iowa), but fingers crossed he chooses Minnesota. He would be a huge get for many reasons. Would love to see a Minnesota kid make the decision to stay home and help turn this program around with Coach Kill and his staff.

the old close to home quote = not the state i live in currently- this kid will choose the Badgers.

I'm hoping he chooses us. He would be a really great get and help us to build that wall around the borders many of us have hoped for.

says he is down to minn, iowa and wisconsin. says he likes the tradition at wisc and iowa and likes the idea of starting tradition at minnesota.

says he has idea of what school he wants to attend but needs to talk with family. has a chart in his room with pros and cons of each.

seems like level headed kid.

He does seem level headed. Personally hope he does chose MN, but the thought he has charts with pros and cons of all the schools suggests he is truly looking for what he believes is right for him and not just passions of the moment. Also, he does seem to be legitimately considering MN (unlike Henderson who kept MN on his list for appearance sake...though in some ways I do not blame him for that).

I think the thing with MN is if he can get behind the new coaching staff because the potential for the OL is definitely there. I think he can!

the old close to home quote = not the state i live in currently- this kid will choose the Badgers.

I can understand your point, but I think a more accurate way to say it is not limited to home state loyalties. Give him some credit, he is doing his homework.

I can understand your point, but I think a more accurate way to say it is not limited to home state loyalties. Give him some credit, he is doing his homework.

I agree. From the smattering of interviews I have read, Pirsig seems to not get caught up in the adulation he is being accorded from those recruiting him. He appears to be a level-headed kid who is going to make a decision based on a number of factors.

BTW folks tradition never dies no matter how old the championships are. Proud programs celebrate their history. Others pretend that college football started in the 1990's.

Post of the year?

Faribault, Minnesota, is in Rice County. Faribault County, where Blue Earth is located, is on the Iowa border.

That minor correction aside, Shane Gunderson from Faribault, MN, was a stud as was his father Ole Gunderson. Gunderson the Elder still a ton of St. Olaf records.

Faribault, Minnesota, is in Rice County. Faribault County, where Blue Earth is located, is on the Iowa border.

That minor correction aside, Shane Gunderson from Faribault, MN, was a stud as was his father Ole Gunderson. Gunderson the Elder still a ton of St. Olaf records.

thought I better check that, but did so AFTER posting - made the necessary edit.

Hogeye country be dam&$#...

And Blue Earth County, well, that's where Mankato is.

Just to be silly.

And Blue Earth County, well, that's where Mankato is.

Just to be silly.

Who is responsible for the location of names in this state? Jesse Ventura blamed the Irish for messing up the street system in St. Paul, but there weren't that many Irish in the state in 1858!

LOL.

Douglas is not in Douglas County, Marshall is not in Marshall County, etc.

As a Gopher fan growing up in Faribault County, I often felt like the minority.

It's 2 hours to Minneapolis, 5 to Iowa City and 6 to Madison if you drive the speed limit and don't hit traffic. Iowa and Wisconsin have more recent success, but in the end, the kid has to choose what's best for him and what that is I don't know. I can imagine after more than a century of Iowa jokes that anyone born and raised in this state would be an Iowa fan except those with serious mental problems.

Top Bottom