Redshirts

BigGuy, this article is a gem and will get a good discussion on here. You need to cut and paste it though, since most people aren't going to just click on a random link, especially one from the Strib.

per the link:

"We’ve got three or four guys that would start for us, if they were in the bowl game," Kill said. "I wish we had a rule where they could play. It makes sense because we’re starting a new year, and then everybody goes into the bowl games limping in because of injuries."

Kill didn't want to name names, but true freshmen wide receivers Isaiah Gentry, Desmond Gant, Jerry Gibson and Melvin Holland Jr. would all be starting candidates.

Go Gophers!!

I'd guess the 3 redshirts that Kill thinks would start are Holland, Gentry and Perra.

What? "Game Changers" as Freshman (Redshirt). WOW! Not just next year but next four years! If so we may have more Williams situations as for NFL decisions.

What? "Game Changers" as Freshman (Redshirt). WOW! Not just next year but next four years! If so we may have more Williams situations as for NFL decisions.

Get used to it, Rog. We will shortly enter the reloading phase of college football.

Throw in a "Is JJ a redshirt?" and you would have hit a home run.

Ask and ye shall receive straight from the coach's mouth.

"We’ve got two great running backs [Rodney Smith and Jeff Jones] that are guys that are redshirted. We’ve got some offensive linemen.

"I could keep going, but our football team a year from now, I think, will even be better. We’ll be better because we’ve got some guys who redshirted."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/286931711.html

Ask and ye shall receive straight from the coach's mouth.

"We’ve got two great running backs [Rodney Smith and Jeff Jones] that are guys that are redshirted. We’ve got some offensive linemen.

"I could keep going, but our football team a year from now, I think, will even be better. We’ll be better because we’ve got some guys who redshirted."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/286931711.html

I'm not falling for this one.

per the link:

"We’ve got three or four guys that would start for us, if they were in the bowl game," Kill said. "I wish we had a rule where they could play. It makes sense because we’re starting a new year, and then everybody goes into the bowl games limping in because of injuries."

I don't understand JK's annual comment that it makes sense to let redshirts play in the bowl game because it's a new year. I view the bowl game as a reward to the current players for what they did this year.

I don't understand JK's annual comment that it makes sense to let redshirts play in the bowl game because it's a new year. I view the bowl game as a reward to the current players for what they did this year.

I'm with you on this one gophertime. I remember Maturi always stating during bowls that it was "the first game of next year." B.S. When we lost those games, we weren't starting the following year at 0-1.

I disagree with Kill on this. If the game isn't competitive, I'd much rather see a seldom used senior get some action, rather than young pup who has plenty of time to prove himself in the following years.

Kill said it. The Star Tribune reported it. It's up to you to believe what the coach says or interpret what he's saying.

You can believe JJ has 4 years of eligibility left if you want to. That is your choice.

You can believe JJ has 4 years of eligibility left if you want to. That is your choice.

Yep, just because Kill mistakenly called Jeff a RS doesn't mean he automatically will get 4 more years guaranteed. Probably just a little confused, forgot a small detail or just lumped him in with the others that actually are legitimately redshirting.

per the link:

Kill didn't want to name names, but true freshmen wide receivers Isaiah Gentry, Desmond Gant, Jerry Gibson and Melvin Holland Jr. would all be starting candidates.

Go Gophers!!

With Donovahn Jones' departure, and Kill's praises for these other WRs,
Holland Jr, Gentry, Gant and Krizniac......

any chance Kill torches one or two of these guy's red-shirts for the bowl game???

any chance Kill torches one or two of these guy's red-shirts for the bowl game???

If he does, he should be fired.

If we have guys who are good enough to help us win this year, it would be insane to not use them in the divisional title game against Wisconsin (and then have them available for a potential conference championship and bowl game) just to then burn the redshirt for one game at the end of the year.

Don't know why I read some of the comments below the article but I did. Anyway, I did like this one that doesn't have anything to do with the article but still good to hear:

I'm going to comment on something a little different. Lest week I came back home to celebrate Christmas with friends and family. On the 19th I got over to the Gibson-Nagurski complex to see the Little Brown Jug, and Floyd of Rosedale. While waiting to see them Jerry Kill walked past and said hello in a friendly manner. And then the players started going to a break in practice. Players were drifting in and out of rooms and were saying "Hi, how you doing" or other commments like that. Two other works at G-N helped me out by taking the glass from the front of the case so I could get some good pics. Players waited patiently while I got my pictures. The thing I was most impressed with was how helpful everyone in the football office were, and the poise, and friendliness of the players. Minnesota should be proud of these young men and the coaching staff. They are truely first class.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If we have guys who are good enough to help us win this year, it would be insane to not use them in the divisional title game against Wisconsin (and then have them available for a potential conference championship and bowl game) just to then burn the redshirt for one game at the end of the year.

Yes, it would be insane. Certifiably.

I agree with you

Imagine if the rules were changed and JK followed through with his comment that three redshirts would start.
The whole team would be pissed, not just the three guys replaced. Plus, you'd likely have 5 or 10 more get playing time, again at the expense of those who got you to the January 1 bowl game.

I understand wanting to win but at what expense? I get competing, but this isn't a fair fight to just waltz out and play in the reward game after not seeing the field at all during the regular season. Sure they helped on the scout team and they went to practice every day but how could someone not be upset if your playing time is lessened by a "ringer".
That's taking for the good of the team too far.

Especially, if you crapped on seniors. And if it is not a senior, depending, you just added to your transfer numbers.
Nice to fantasize about but dumb to actually do. Don't get it.

Imagine if the rules were changed and JK followed through with his comment that three redshirts would start.
The whole team would be pissed, not just the three guys replaced. Plus, you'd likely have 5 or 10 more get playing time, again at the expense of those who got you to the January 1 bowl game.

I understand wanting to win but at what expense? I get competing, but this isn't a fair fight to just waltz out and play in the reward game after not seeing the field at all during the regular season. Sure they helped on the scout team and they went to practice every day but how could someone not be upset if your playing time is lessened by a "ringer".
That's taking for the good of the team too far.

Especially, if you crapped on seniors. And if it is not a senior, depending, you just added to your transfer numbers.
Nice to fantasize about but dumb to actually do. Don't get it.

Agree 100%. This is one of very few areas I adamantly disagree with JK. Really think hes wrong here.

Agree 100%. This is one of very few areas I adamantly disagree with JK. Really think hes wrong here.

I would rather they play a real non-conference or regional game in the spring, but understand they don't have numbers to do it in the spring.

If they let the freshman play would they also make the seniors ineligible? It would be logical...and stupid.

Top Bottom