Recruits picking hats...

What Up Guy

Reaction score
This charade is getting out of hand. I saw a kid today with a Texas hat and an Alabama hat in front of him. He picks up the Texas hat, and then dismisses it for lack of swagger. Then he reaches behind him to where we can't see, picks up a duffel bag, opens the duffel bag and removes a red box, opens the box, reaches in and grabs a draw-string back from within the red box. Then he opens the draw-string bag and finally pulls out a different Alabama hat and puts it on.

This is just one of the numerous stunts with the hats. Yeah, I know they are kids and its harmless, but J.T.F.C. is comes off as selfish and egotistical. How important do they think they are?

One hat represents years and countless hours of recruiting from one dedicated staff and the other represents the same for the other team. This kid's response is overdramatize the entire thing and boil down all that hard work to some sort of self-indulgent sideshow.

I am over the hat thing. I hate it.

How important do they think they are?

Well, I think when you have all these forums talking about these kids nonstop all year, with Rivals and Scout and ESPN reporting everything that goes on, is it really that surprising? Of course they'll have high egos, especially if they read any of these boards.

I saw the Texas/Alabama "non-swagger" event.... and you're right, it was trash. Just have the hats in front of you and pick one. When you make a play on Saturday, then give your helmet a flash, or pop your jersey. Save it for the field.

Well, I think when you have all these forums talking about these kids nonstop all year, with Rivals and Scout and ESPN reporting everything that goes on, is it really that surprising? Of course they'll have high egos, especially if they read any of these boards.

Amen to that. These guys now have cameras in their faces from the time they reach the varsity squad and folks monitoring their every football move. Pretty crazy.

Why do you care?

Let the kids have some fun. This has to be the most exciting time of their lives, let them enjoy it how they want. For most of these kids, the attention will go away due to lack of success or whatever. Have fun and enjoy it.

Amen to that. These guys now have cameras in their faces from the time they reach the varsity squad and folks monitoring their every football move. Pretty crazy.

I will also add that players have a bunch of college coaches telling them how good they are and all during the recruiting process. It's tough for young kids not to get a big head when they have coaches from schools like USC, Florida, and Alabama telling you how talented they are.

I find it ironic that you are watching kid put hats on then complain about how egotistical they are about the process. I'm just amazed that you are watching some kid put on a hat in the first place.

Yes. It was Dre Kirkpatrick the top rated CB in the country choosing between Texas (not enough swagger) and Alabama. When he put on the hat pulled from the box I thought he was committing to the Atlanta Braves because the A from Atlanta and Alabama looks the same and the hat didn't even have Alabama's colors. I also thought it was a bit too much.

The one that really bothered me though was during the AA games when players would pick up the that of a team he was passing over, lift it toward his head, and then throw it to the side. I understand they're trying to be suspenseful but I feel like it disrespects the fans & coaching staff of the team thrown to the side.

I find it ironic that you are watching kid put hats on then complain about how egotistical they are about the process. I'm just amazed that you are watching some kid put on a hat in the first place.

I had the TV on ESPN in the background as I did some work and it caught my eye. I wasn't watching it on pins and needles like I really cared where some kid who I hadn't heard of was going.

If I was a recruit I would place 5 hats on a table. Then I'd whip out my dong and knock the hats off the table one at a time with my dong, until there was just one hat left. Then I'd use my dong to gently cock said cap at a fashionable angle atop my grape. That's how I roll.

Either put 5 Minnesota hats on the table and select one, or put OSU, Michigan, Becky, Iowa, and PSU hats on the table and then pull a Minnesota hat from under the chair.

Top Bottom