Recruiting

I knew coach Roberts when she was coaching on the west coast. Very likeable person as well. Players liked playing for her and playing her style of ball. Always seemed to have the ability to build a program. Seems like she is developing a bit of a midwestern pipeline.

I am personally hoping it’s MIB’s Jordan Zubich (24) or Tessa Johnson (23). I saw on TikTok Zubich was on a visit. I actually think it’s a good sign Johnson hasn’t committed anywhere yet. I’m hoping she is waiting to see how it goes with these girls Minnesota has now. She just really impressed me in the state finals when I got to watch her live: Zubich would just be fun. I coach small town basketball and always like to see kids come from small programs. She also had a great summer. Neither are posts, but I believe Minnesota has a shot at both. And would love for both to be Gophers.

PrepGirlsHoops -- July 24, 2022

Unsigned 2023s who raised their stock at the Meltdown​

"....No senior from Minnesota drew more attention this week than the #1-rated prospect in the class – the uber-talented guard Tessa Johnson of North Tartan EYBL and St. Michael-Albertville. The list of coaches on hand was a Who’s Who of women’s college basketball and many of them had come to the Twin Cities specifically to see Tessa. She did not disappoint. That’s why Johnson leads the way today as we look at unsigned seniors who raised their stock at the Meltdown.

Tessa Johnson – guard, North Tartan EYBL (St. Michael-Albertville)

Tessa is what they call a big fish and there are still plenty of coaches casting far and wide to try and land the trophy catch for their program. No wonder. She is smooth, athletic, incredibly skilled and has all of the intangibles you could want in a great collegiate player.

She was a terrific prospect entering the summer season but her play on the EYBL circuit has pushed Johnson to a new level.

This week she was superb again, scoring 92 points including 26 against Full Package Black and 23 in the championship game.

Whoever lands the grand prize in the Class of 2023 is going to be a big winner."

END QUOTE

ESPN HoopGurlz has Tessa Johnson rated a 95 and the #27 prospect -- and undervaluing of Johnson due to horrible injury a couple years ago. She's now showing that her stock is much higher.

Gophers extended an offer to 6' 3" power forward Trinity Wilson (2024) of Lakeville and NorthTartan.

Wilson is the #1 2024 Minnesota post player prospect and the 2023 Breakout Player of the Year by PrepGirlsHoops.

In June, Grant McGinnis wrote, "No player has improved more over the course of the past 12 months, however, than 6’3 power forward Trinity Wilson of Lakeville North. After coming back from knee surgery, Wilson has improved by leaps and bounds and she is now officially ranked in the Top 10 of the Prep Girls Hoops Class of 2024.

'Trinity improved each tournament,' said Marqus McGlothan, who was Wilson’s coach with North Tartan 2024 EYBL. “She’s playing more aggressively, finishing over both shoulders, and stretching out to hit 15- to 17-foot jump shots. She’s running the floor better, being more physical, and most important her confidence in herself has grown over the last few tournaments. In my opinion she’s showing that she’s the best big in the 2024 class.”

It’s hard to argue with that assessment. Although she is one of the youngest players in the class – Wilson should really be a 2025 – Trinity has proven this season that she can compete with the very best players in the country. She proved that at the state high school tournament in March against 2022 #1 Maya Nnaji of Hopkins (Arizona) and she has proved it week after week during the AAU season. On the EYBL circuit, widely considered the toughest AAU showcase in the country, she has averaged just under 9 points and 6 rebounds per game against the best bigs in the country."

END QUOTE

[Disclaimer: I've contemplated the ethics of sharing subscription content and concluded limited exposure is fine and won't post ongoing.]

Last edited:

Sigh, I don’t know why they bother announcing a commitment if there wasn’t going to be an announcement very soon. Very soon ended yesterday in my opinion
I'm not sure of all the rules regarding announcing a commitment. But, I don't think the program can disclose the commitment - the player needs to do it. The program can retweet the announcement. If somebody signs with the team, the program can announce it. At least, that is my understanding.

I'm not sure of all the rules regarding announcing a commitment. But, I don't think the program can disclose the commitment - the player needs to do it. The program can retweet the announcement. If somebody signs with the team, the program can announce it. At least, that is my understanding.
Absolutely, but this should have been a discussion with the recruit. I.e U: recruit are you going to make a public announcement? Recruit: YES, U: Awesome sauce!!!, would you like our marketing department to do some kick butt graphics for you? Recruit: COOL! Yep. U: tell us your preferences for the graphics and let us know when you will make the announcement, coach Whay will do her tweet to get the fans jacked up to hear about your commitment. Excited to have you on board, SKI U-Mah!!!

That is how it should go. I figured the commitment was on Friday so maybe they had to wait til Monday to get marketing to get their thing finished.

Absolutely, but this should have been a discussion with the recruit. I.e U: recruit are you going to make a public announcement? Recruit: YES, U: Awesome sauce!!!, would you like our marketing department to do some kick butt graphics for you? Recruit: COOL! Yep. U: tell us your preferences for the graphics and let us know when you will make the announcement, coach Whay will do her tweet to get the fans jacked up to hear about your commitment. Excited to have you on board, SKI U-Mah!!!

That is how it should go. I figured the commitment was on Friday so maybe they had to wait til Monday to get marketing to get their thing finished.
What if the recruit doesnt use social media? Just wait til signing day then? FWIW I've heard its a recruit from the west coast that doesnt have any social media accounts so who knows when we'll find out if thats actually true.

Last edited:

What if the recruit doesnt use social media? Just wait til signing day then? FWIW I've heard its a recruit from the west coast that doesnt have any social media accounts so who knows when we'll find out if thats actually true.
Have you heard what season? Like could they be adding someone to current roster?

That is my whole point. Don’t get fans like me who really care, frustrated, by saying something if you can’t disclose/know it won’t be disclosed in a short period of time.

Maybe the player is waiting until she has informed all of the teams not selected.

It's a 6'3 Class of 2023 Post from Washington. She doesn't have ANY socials so not sure how an announcement will come.

Montesano is a small school half way between Olympia and the coast. They are in the smallest class in WA. Not finding a lot out there on her but she was named to the 1st Team for Class 1A.

Montesano is a small school half way between Olympia and the coast. They are in the smallest class in WA. Not finding a lot out there on her but she was named to the 1st Team for Class 1A.
..and it sounds like she might be 6-1, rather than 6-3, unless I'm only looking at old stories?

PrepGirlsHoops:

Small forward, #10 in state at position.

From last year news:

6’0 McKynnlie Dalan is a small school standout from Montesano High School. She has good length and above average athleticism. She finishes well with either hand, rebounds aggressively and pushes the break at 6’0. Another sleeper in the 2023 class.

Old news:

"Prospects with Length," McKynnlie Dalan (Montesano HS): One of the state’s best kept secrets is tucked away in Grays Harbor County, but her name is no secret to college coaches. McKynnlie played at the 17u Gold Division in the adidas Gauntlet for the Northwest Blazers this past spring and summer. She is a strong and wiry athlete that can do a little bit of everything. She should have a very good freshman season for Montesano.

Old news:

6’0 SF McKynnlie Dalan (Montesano HS) – Great wiry-strong build for a freshman with good bounce off the floor. Can finish with either hand around the basket. Capable of defending 4 positions on the floor and a very good rebounder. Plays for a tiny, lesser-known school, but she has game.

My Note: She may have grown an inch since then. Probably now 6' 1".

Above content available with subscription to consider. I felt it is worth it. (I'm feeling a bit guilty.)

News article:
Junior forward records double-double to lead foul-plagued Monte past Zillah 59-52

Just a few short days ago, nobody expected standout Montesano forward McKynnlie Dalan to be available for Saturday’s 1A Regional game against No. 5 Zillah.

That included Dalan herself.

“I didn’t even know until yesterday,” said Dalan, who has been sidelined since suffering a freak knee injury during warm-ups of the Bulldogs’ regular-season finale against Tenino back on Feb. 4. “(The knee) felt good. Our trainer (Whitney Champlin) did an amazing job taping me up and I have a really good brace, so I felt pretty secure. But at that point, I wasn’t focused on the knee, I was focused on getting the win.”

Was she ever.

With the Bulldogs plagued by foul troubles throughout the game — most notably to two-time reigning 1A Evergreen League MVP Paige Lisherness — Dalan was outstanding in leading Montesano to a 59-52 win over the Leopards Saturday afternoon at WF West High School in Chehalis, sending Monte straight to the state quarterfinals in the process....

"Who has perimeter skills like a guard, but is tall or strong enough to be an interior presence? These girls certainly know that drill.

After polling other coaches and media outlets, here are SBLive WA's 15 must-view wing players in Washington for 2021-22:

Montesano junior McKynnlie Dalan is one of the most feared inside-outside players in the Class 1A ranks.

The daughter of ex-Washington Huskies forward Kellie O'Neill, Dalan flashes a similar ability to aggressively attack the paint while also burning defenses from the perimeter. When her 3-point shot is falling, the Class 1A all-state performer is tough to stop."

END QUOTE

Lots of accolated across the web for Dalan (at 1A small school level).

32 points and 18 rebounds one game. 24 points in another. 23 in another. Gets in the paint and rebounds while putting up big points.

She also plays volleyball, it appears.

Maybe the player is waiting until she has informed all of the teams not selected.
Not the point I am trying to make. There are infinite good/great/fantastic reasons why a player may not want to make an announcement or wait a period of time. My only point is, it is most important how the school markets to fragile fans like me. Don’t be so mean to fans like me and say something about a commitment unless you coordinated with the player on such an announcement. If player wants to wait or never announce… then act accordingly i.e. wait or never divulge a pending commitment announcement.

Last edited:

Not the point I am trying to make. There are infinite good/great/fantastic reasons why a player may not want to make an announcement or wait a period of time. My only point is, it is most important how the school markets to fragile fans like me. Don’t be so mean to fans like me and say something about a commitment unless you coordinated with the player on such an announcement. If player wants to wait or never announce… then act accordingly i.e. wait or never divulge a pending commitment announcement.
You consider this being mean to fans? That seems like a real reach to me. This is a pretty unique situation since shes not on social media. I do have to question where the reporters that cover the team are though? If this was mens basketball we woulda had the name 2 minutes after the Whalen tweet went out.

You consider this being mean to fans? That seems like a real reach to me. This is a pretty unique situation since shes not on social media. I do have to question where the reporters that cover the team are though? If this was mens basketball we woulda had the name 2 minutes after the Whalen tweet went out.
I’m being overly dramatic. I do find it frustrating not knowing though 😀

Nice. After watching some highlights she reminds me of an Ustby type player. At least her build. Still hoping for Tessa Johnson to be a Gopher.

From the looks of social media JOhnson seems to be good friends with current Gophers and Klick. I have absolutely zero inside information and for all I know she could already be committed somewhere else (like Iowa state where her sister went) but I just feel like the Gophers have a shot at her. I don’t think Olson will be a Gopher. I hope she is not wasting their time with having them on her list. I have been wrong before. I never thought Battle would pick the Gophers. Johnson would contribute right away. I can’t express how much she impressed me at the state tournament.

Most of the players that commit at this level have played AAU. Therefore, when they commit to a school, their AAU club or team tweets out the announcement, because it also helps them get more exposure in the competition for good local players. “Look how many players we have that got signed by higher level teams“, etc….

From talking to a family member of Tessa‘s 2 months ago, while the Gophers were still in the running, there were several very good schools that were being strongly considered.

Tessa is going to take her four official visits. (NCAA cut it down from allowing players to have five officials down to four) and it sounds like the Gophers are the fourth and Final one. Just seeing at AAU events, Gophers and 2022s are putting full court press to try and get her to stay home. Also I would guess we will know where she is going by the time the season starts in November.

Tessa and Olson are great players right now and would be great gets for the gophers. Tessa is a great kid, the nicest kid you will ever meet. I do have some concerns with her foot speed playing at the elite school levels, I think MN would be a great spot for her.
Olson has all the tools you look for in a player, long, athletic. My concerns for her are she plays at a small HS and it is easy to dominate and she should play AAU with North Tartan so that she can be pushed harder out of her comfort zone. The Fury is a great program, but she is coached by Nick Storm the director and that is an issue for her development. At this time, she needs to go to NT unless the whispers on the street are true, she is soft and has been coached soft and may not be comfortable being pushed.
But we are talking two elite players no doubt about it.

If either player wants to be pushed they would go to EYBL All Iowa Attack (IA) or EYBL WI Flight Elite (WI). Much better coaching and player competition. Just ask a college coach which program is best and see how they respond. However, making the top team roster may be tough.

Tessa and Olson are great players right now and would be great gets for the gophers. Tessa is a great kid, the nicest kid you will ever meet. I do have some concerns with her foot speed playing at the elite school levels, I think MN would be a great spot for her.
Olson has all the tools you look for in a player, long, athletic. My concerns for her are she plays at a small HS and it is easy to dominate and she should play AAU with North Tartan so that she can be pushed harder out of her comfort zone. The Fury is a great program, but she is coached by Nick Storm the director and that is an issue for her development. At this time, she needs to go to NT unless the whispers on the street are true, she is soft and has been coached soft and may not be comfortable being pushed.
But we are talking two elite players no doubt about it.
Gee don't hide the fact that you have connections to or work with/for Tartan. Tartan is great but Mallory Heyer came from Fury. Oh and the reigning Pac-12 freshman of the year Kneepkens played for Fury so its not like they are slouches. Metro Stars also has NuNu going to Stanford. Tartan good but not the only place she can learn. If She was soft how come she the third rated player in the country?

Top Bottom