Recruiting

Here's some footage of Aubrey Galvan at Deerfield. Seems solid but she appears 4-6 inches shorter than Whalen in the tweet. I am over short guards unless they are absolutely exceptional. Guards are relatively easy to find. This staff needs to turn up the heat and identify some solid inside players.
I don't know how many times this needs to be said. Short guards have a hard time in the BIG10. Tough time getting shots and very tough time defending. Look at the guards on Maryland, Michigan, Iowa, Indiana, Purdue, etc.. They are typically around 5'11"-6'2". It makes a huge difference. Talented short guards play in the mids and play within a motion offensive system.

I don't know how many times this needs to be said. Short guards have a hard time in the BIG10. Tough time getting shots and very tough time defending. Look at the guards on Maryland, Michigan, Iowa, Indiana, Purdue, etc.. They are typically around 5'11"-6'2". It makes a huge difference. Talented short guards play in the mids and play within a motion offensive system.
There's always the exception like 5'5" former Rutgers guard (now at NC State) Diamond Johnson.

That's exactly why I said it! Jitterbug guards have their place in college bball but I do not like their chances in major conferences. The regular sized guards are just too athletic and the bigs are just too big and talented.

I have no idea if there’d be mutual interest, but with our new roster space I’d want to reach out…

I have no idea if there’d be mutual interest, but with our new roster space I’d want to reach out…

Looks very similar statistically to Helgren. If she has more offensive game than Helgren but still the rebounding and good on defense I would say she would be a good pickup.

With Transfers being announced (FYI one or two more likely to be announced soon) I figured it would be a good time to once again post the known offers for recruiting. My guess is the 2023 class likely now will be a 3 player class hopefully. Also they will probably once again look to bring in 1-2, maybe three grad transfers in next season. I still say a core of Rose, Sissoko, Scalia, and the four 2022s is nothing to sneeze at, but adding maybe another 6'4 to taller post and Wing/guard wh can shoot wouldn't hurt either.

A 2023 class of Crooks, Tessa and Hull could complement the 2022s extremely nicely if you ask me.

2023:

Offered/In-state:

Tessa Johnson-
St. Michael/Albertville-5’11 Guard

Out of State Offers:

Kymora Johnson,
5’7 G, St. Anne’s-Belfield School (VA) ESPN Ranked 32 (out of Super 60)

Jasmine Brown, 5’9 G, Joliet Catholic HS (IL) ESPN Ranked #44 (out of Super 60)

Eve Fiala, 6’4 C, Indiana HS (PA) ESPN Ranked #54 (out of Super 60)

Janae Kent, 6’1 W, Oak Forest HS (IL) ESPN Ranked #57 (out of Super 60)

Laila Hull, 6’1 F, Zionsville (IN) ESPN Ranked #58 (out of Super 60)

Audi Crooks, 6’3 P, Bishop Garrigan HS (IA) ESPN Ranked #59 (out of Super 60)

Logan Nissley, 5’10 G, Century HS (ND)

Alyssa Latham, 6’1 F, Homewood-Flossmoor HS (IL)

2024:

Offered/In-State:

Olivia Olson-
Benilde-St. Margaret’s-6’0 G ESPN Ranked #3 (out of Terrific 25)

Alivia “Liv” McGill, 5’7 G, Hopkins HS ESPN Ranked #11 (out of Terrific 25)

Out of State Offers:

Blanca Thomas,
6’5 P, Charlotte Catholic HS (NC) ESPN Ranked #6 (out of Terrific 25)

Britt Prince, 5’11 G, Elkhorn North HS (NE) ESPN Ranked #10 (out of Terrific 25)

Allie Ziebell, 6’0 W, Neenah HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #13 (out of Terrific 25)

Chloe Spreen, 5’9 G, Bedford North Lawrence (IN) ESPN Ranked #21 (out of Terrific 25)

Tahj Bloom, 6’3 F, Grayslake Community (IL) ESPN Ranked #22 (out of Terrific 25)

Kayl Petersen, 6’0 F, Waupun Area HS (WI)

Reagan Sipla, 6’0 G, St. Charles North HS (IL)

2025:

Offered/In-State

Aaliyah Crump,
Minnetonka- 6’0 Wing ESPN Watchlist

Out of State Offers:

ZaKiyah Johnson,
5’11 F/W, Sacred Heart Academy (KY)

2026:

Offered/In-State:

Maddyn Greenway,
5’7 G, Providence Academy

Tori Oehrlein, 5’11 G, Crosby-Ironton

Out of State Offers:

Jenica Lewis,
5’8 G, Johnson HS, (IA)

With D1 Currently in a shutdown from May 2-8, figured should put out offers including new known offers over classes 23-26.

2023:

Offered/In-state:

Tessa Johnson-
St. Michael/Albertville-5’11 Guard

Out of State Offers:

Kymora Johnson,
5’7 G, St. Anne’s-Belfield School (VA) ESPN Ranked 32 (out of Super 60)

Jasmine Brown, 5’9 G, Joliet Catholic HS (IL) ESPN Ranked #44 (out of Super 60)

Eve Fiala, 6’4 C, Indiana HS (PA) ESPN Ranked #54 (out of Super 60)

Laila Hull, 6’1 F, Zionsville (IN) ESPN Ranked #58 (out of Super 60)

Aiyana Mitchell, 6’4 P, Fountain-Fort Carson HS (CO)

2024:

Offered/In-State:

Olivia Olson-
Benilde-St. Margaret’s-6’0 G ESPN Ranked #3 (out of Terrific 25)

Alivia “Liv” McGill, 5’7 G, Hopkins HS ESPN Ranked #11 (out of Terrific 25)

Out of State Offers:

Blanca Thomas,
6’5 P, Charlotte Catholic HS (NC) ESPN Ranked #6 (out of Terrific 25)

Britt Prince, 5’11 G, Elkhorn North HS (NE) ESPN Ranked #10 (out of Terrific 25)

Allie Ziebell, 6’0 W, Neenah HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #13 (out of Terrific 25)

Chloe Spreen, 5’9 G, Bedford North Lawrence (IN) ESPN Ranked #21 (out of Terrific 25)

Tahj Bloom, 6’3 F, Grayslake Community (IL) ESPN Ranked #22 (out of Terrific 25)

2025:

Offered/In-State

Aaliyah Crump,
Minnetonka- 6’0 Wing ESPN Watchlist

Out of State Offers:

ZaKiyah Johnson,
5’11 F/W, Sacred Heart Academy (KY)

Aubrey Galvan, 5’7 G, Deerfield HS (IL)

2026:

Offered/In-State:

Maddyn Greenway,

Out of State Offers:

Jenica Lewis,
5’8 G, Johnson HS, (IA)

Caution, there are a lot of kids who look really good in fifth, sixth, and seventh grade. And then they stagnate by ninth or 10th grade. I have seen it over and over. When I was coaching many years ago, I went to a clinic and the head coach there told us that most kids who are stars on younger teams, are not even in the mix by high school. A lot of them think they’re already good enough and don’t continue improving. The kids that are on the B teams when they are younger often feel like they have something to prove and work much harder, and earn it.

I saw Bueckers in 6th grade and they play identical, the only difference is Bueckers was tiny, then grew like 5 inches in 6th or 7th grade.
What is strange is she looks like a 11th grader.
I also saw Bueckers play in 6th grade, and you make a good point, that their play is similar. Paige was more slightly more athletic than Johnson, but that is not a rip on Johnson at all. She looks amazing.

I also remember that when Bailey Helgren was in ninth grade, she was playing up 2 years on the 11th grade MetroStars team…..

Everyone is different. Chloe could develop into perhaps the best high school basketball player ever to play in this state if she continues to work at it. Other players level out early talentless. You can never tell who is who. Right now Chloe is truly gifted.

Here is where the known offers stand as we enter summer workouts for the upcoming season with the updated ESPN Rankings. The 22-23 Roster is complete outside of a walk-on or two per Whalen but the ones who will be consistently in 8-9 player rotation are already on campus.

With already adding Kennedy Klick to 2023, my guess is probably wanting two additional players. Tessa without question is their top target over any other recruit in any class. They want to add her to the 2022s in no uncertain terms. I honestly am 50/50 if they will get her. At times I hear due to friendships and family they the favorite, and times I hear she leans out of state so who knows. I could see them wanting Tessa and one of the two bigs in this class, possibly if they get one of the forwards as well.

In 2024, sadly I don't see them in the running to have a legit shot at Olson or McGill. Both are looking bigger and sadly better (right now) than the Gophers. Now if the program starts turning around, if they get Tessa and her along with the 2022s having success both as a team and individually could turn that around.

2023:

Offered/In-state:

Tessa Johnson-
St. Michael/Albertville-5’11 Guard- ESPN Ranked #27 (out of 100)

Out of State Offers:

Kymora Johnson,
5’7 G, St. Anne’s-Belfield School (VA) ESPN Ranked 30 (out of 100)

Jasmine Brown, 5’9 G, Joliet Catholic HS (IL) ESPN Ranked #48 (out of 100)

Laila Hull, 6’1 F, Zionsville (IN) ESPN Ranked #94 (out of 100)

Eve Fiala, 6’4 C, Indiana HS (PA)

2024:

Offered/In-State:

Olivia Olson-
Benilde-St. Margaret’s-6’0 G ESPN Ranked #3 (out of super 60)

Alivia “Liv” McGill, 5’7 G, Hopkins HS ESPN Ranked #13 (out of super 60)

Out of State Offers:

Allie Ziebell,
6’0 W, Neenah HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #9 (out of super 60)

Blanca Thomas, 6’5 P, Charlotte Catholic HS (NC) ESPN Ranked #10 (out of super 60)

Britt Prince, 5’11 G, Elkhorn North HS (NE) ESPN Ranked #11 (out of super 60)

Tahj Bloom, 6’3 F, Grayslake Community (IL) ESPN Ranked #30 (out of Top 60)

Chloe Spreen, 5’9 G, Bedford North Lawrence (IN)

2025:

Offered/In-State

Aaliyah Crump,
Minnetonka- 6’0 Wing ESPN #19 (out of elite 25)

Out of State Offers:

ZaKiyah Johnson,
5’11 F/W, Sacred Heart Academy (KY) ESPN #4 (out of elite 25)

2026:

Offered/In-State:

Maddyn Greenway,

Out of State Offers:

Jenica Lewis,
5’8 G, Johnson HS, (IA)

At some point we will need to get some size, a lot of guards in the mix. I do agree Tessa should be their #1 2023 kid, but I would be concerned that relationship isn't being developed especially with Carly moving on. The other top programs are top programs because their recruiting is top notch. The one advantage the gophers have is we are starting to keep the in state kids who have developed AAU friendships.
We'll see if there is enough size to compete this year, I know we have Oberg, but she is only good for 15-20 min a game. I thought Rose was going to be big time and she still might, but I thought she went backwards last year, maybe hit the freshman wall.
I see us going with 4 guards a lot just because they have to go with the skilled players

There has been a frenzy of offers to mostly 2024 and some 2025s going out lately so might be hard to keep track. Here is the (as of now) known gopher offers for class 2023-2026.

2023:

Offered/In-state:

Tessa Johnson-

Out of State Offers:

Kymora Johnson,

2024:

Offered/In-State:

Olivia Olson-
Benilde-St. Margaret’s-6’1 G ESPN Ranked #3 (out of super 60)

Jordan Zubich, 5’10 G, Mountain Iron-Buhl

Out of State Offers:

Allie Ziebell,

Blanca Thomas, 6’5 P, Charlotte Catholic HS (NC) ESPN Ranked #10 (out of super 60)

Avery Howell, 6’0 G, Boise (ID)

Angelina Smith, 5’9 G, Bolingbrook HS (IL)

Alyssa Wirth, 6’5 P, Altoona HS (WI)

Taylor Stremlow, 5’10 G, Verona HS (WI)

2025:

Offered/In-State

Aaliyah Crump,

Kendall McGee, Benilde-St. Margaret’s-6’0 Guard

Out of State Offers:

ZaKiyah Johnson,

2026:

Offered/In-State:

Maddyn Greenway,

Out of State Offers:

Jenica Lewis,
5’8 G, Johnson HS, (IA)

**Some unknown and unconfirmed but possible offers are 2025 Jordan Ode from Maple Grove, Addi Mack from Minnehaha Academy, Reese Ross 2023 from South Dakota/North Tartan- Gophers have been in contact and watched these players a lot this AAU season.

There has been a frenzy of offers to mostly 2024 and some 2025s going out lately so might be hard to keep track. Here is the (as of now) known gopher offers for class 2023-2026.

2023:

Offered/In-state:

Tessa Johnson-

Out of State Offers:

Kymora Johnson,

2024:

Offered/In-State:

Olivia Olson-
Benilde-St. Margaret’s-6’1 G ESPN Ranked #3 (out of super 60)

Jordan Zubich, 5’10 G, Mountain Iron-Buhl

Out of State Offers:

Allie Ziebell,

Avery Howell, 6’0 G, Boise (ID)

Angelina Smith, 5’9 G, Bolingbrook HS (IL)

Alyssa Wirth, 6’5 P, Altoona HS (WI)

Taylor Stremlow, 5’10 G, Verona HS (WI)

2025:

Offered/In-State

Aaliyah Crump,

Kendall McGee, Benilde-St. Margaret’s-6’0 Guard

Out of State Offers:

ZaKiyah Johnson,

2026:

Offered/In-State:

Maddyn Greenway,

Out of State Offers:

Jenica Lewis,
5’8 G, Johnson HS, (IA)

**Some unknown and unconfirmed but possible offers are 2025 Jordan Ode from Maple Grove, Addi Mack from Minnehaha Academy, Reese Ross 2023 from South Dakota/North Tartan- Gophers have been in contact and watched these players a lot this AAU season.
Reese Ross committed to Utah.

Gophers didn't extend to Reese Ross of North Tartan. Ross was nominate for the state MVP after a great tournament last year and the #2 state prospect per PrepGirlsHoops.

Yet 21-12 Utah that won in the NCAA tournament last year signed Ross who I sensed was real interested in the Gophers.

I loud "BOO!" from me at Gophers leadership.

Gophers should be making inroads into North Tartan and upper Midwest including South Dakota. Sure, Ross had work to do.

But NCAA tournament Utah saw the potential. Not the Gophers though.

Should have extended an offer.

I question the Gophers leadership.

Last edited:

Gophers didn't extend to Reese Ross of North Tartan. Ross was nominate for the state MVP after a great tournament last year and the #2 state prospect per PrepGirlsHoops.

Yet 21-12 Utah that won in the NCAA tournament last year signed Ross who I sensed was real interested in the Gophers.

I loud "BOO!" from me at Gophers leadership.

Gophers should be making inroads into North Tartan and upper Midwest including South Dakota. Sure, Ross had work to do.

But NCAA tournament Utah saw the potential. Not the Gophers though.

Should have extended an offer.

I question the Gophers leadership.

She had a gopher offer. Confirmed from her teammates that I asked. However Utah was her dream school for off the court reasons.

Also SDSU and USD didn't offer her either. Should raise eyebrows if the two schools in her state dont offer.

She had a gopher offer. Confirmed from her teammates that I asked. However Utah was her dream school for off the court reasons.

Also SDSU and USD didn't offer her either. Should raise eyebrows if the two schools in her state dont offer.
Great information. Thank you for sharing that! :) The last I knew the Gophers were mulling it, and nothing was public.

Therefore, I withdraw my criticism. I will then reverse course and praise the Gophers for finessing this by keeping it low-key. The reality is that Ross was seen as a borderline player, so I like the Gopher strategy of making the offer but being low-key.

Her North Tartan team won the championship over the other. She was never an elite talent player but she made the cut and performed when it mattered. So Utah and I probably see the same intangible things.

Reversing course... thank you Gophers for finessing that on the low.

Great information. Thank you for sharing that! :) The last I knew the Gophers were mulling it, and nothing was public.

Therefore, I withdraw my criticism. I will then reverse course and praise the Gophers for finessing this by keeping it low-key. The reality is that Ross was seen as a borderline player, so I like the Gopher strategy of making the offer but being low-key.

Her North Tartan team won the championship over the other. She was never an elite talent player but she made the cut and performed when it mattered. So Utah and I probably see the same intangible things.

Reversing course... thank you Gophers for finessing that on the low.
I like her upside, long athletic kid but gonna need some time to develop before she plays much at Utah. She also plays the same position as Heyer and Holloway who I think are better players. So time will tell but I dont think its a big loss. As far as keeping the recruitment low key some kids just dont post about offers or anything, sounded like she visited Minnesota Vanderbilt Gonzaga and Utah.

Top Bottom