Recruiting hasn't mattered at Wisconsin.

I think you are all right to some extent.

"Lonely" was pointing out that coaching/systems matter. He knows they Wisconsin doesn't bring in recruits from Little Sister of the Poor! (In fact, most are 3 Star, but very high 3 star players). And I think he was trying to show that Brewster's system of trying for high-star recruits w/o a system does not work. And you and I both know if Coach Kill doesn't bring in 20 Five Star Players next year some on this board are going to be calling for his head.

Certainly "stars" matter, but it doesn't mean that stars by themselves get results. After all, it is a team game!

So yes, you need both good players and good coaching and a good system. But I believe Coach Kill's recruiting results will closely resemble Wisconsin's and I believe his results on the football field will as well. He will get us back to relevance!

GRGOPHER

Nicely stated but why is it dificult for people to understand this?

over used

We probably all groan every time someone brings up that Kill and Patterson are best buddies.

But what if Kill is the mentor and Patterson is the student? Just because Patterson has been in a situation where he could challenge for top 10 rankings first before Kill doesn't automatically make him the professor.

Not I saying I know. Not saying I believe it. But it could be possible?

Rose Bowl within three years baby! It's February....we are in first place.

60's Guy

Good point! The most likely case is they both enjoy bouncing ideas off each other and discussing football. I suspect they also have similar values and personalities. Besides, football coaches belong to a large community were job security is questionable. They compete on the field but they know that their next job may come from the guy on the other side of the field.

We probably all groan every time someone brings up that Kill and Patterson are best buddies.

But what if Kill is the mentor and Patterson is the student? Just because Patterson has been in a situation where he could challenge for top 10 rankings first before Kill doesn't automatically make him the professor.

Not I saying I know. Not saying I believe it. But it could be possible?

Rose Bowl within three years baby! It's February....we are in first place.

Actually I think Dennis Franchione was the mentor to both of them. Patterson was an assistant at TCU to Franchione and got the job when Coach Fran went to Alabama. The one thing Patterson has that Kill will never have here is a ton of Division talent at his doorstep. They are in entirely different situations and think it is great they talk but I don't expect Kill to be the second coming of Gary Patterson. I say let him be his own man and create his own identity.

Khaliq,
It's not only Elvis that has left the room. So has Jack Trice. Believe me, I know. I live thirty miles from Ames, Iowa--the home of Jack Trice Field (within Cyclone Stadium).
Care to explain?

I find it interesting that a fancy sig like that would have an obvious spelling error.

Lots of good points here. Let me add to it.

The walk-on program is huge for us. Every year, we'll have a handful of kids who are major contributors who were initially walk-ons. Next year, our starting LT, starting FB, 1 starting WR, and a regular in the DT rotation are all walk-ons. They also make up much of our special team units. UM should put more effort into that. Instead of losing kids to the Dakota schools, or lower level in-state programs, or the WIAC, your staff should work harder to keep kids at home. They are the lifeblood of the program. The kids who will give you everything they have, because they have loved the school their whole lives, and grew up dreaming of playing there.

Where recruiting rankings are concerned, many of our in-state kids are greatly undervalued by the recruiting services, especially the ones who come from smaller programs. We get kids in camp, lock up the good ones, and when other schools don't recruit them, their rankings never go up. Travis Frederick and Mike Taylor are a couple of good examples. Fredrick was 2 stars by one service, 3 by another, but started as a true freshman until he was injured. Taylor a 2 star kid, who started as a RS Fr. Jacob Pederson with start for us at H-Back next fall. A last minute, 2 star recruit from the U.P. I think most of the 2 star kids should be 3, and many of the 3 star kids should be 4.

Next, you factor in player development. We redshirt 75% or more of the kids in each class. That gives them extra time to mature physically. Some will contribute after 1 year, many not until after 2 years in the program. By then, they are longer at the skill level of a 2 or 3 star recruit. They are more like a 3 or a 4.

I think Kill can take you guys in the right direction. Novak built the program at NIU, but Kill did a good job maintaining it. At a school that size, the margin for error is very small, and all it takes is a mistake or two to derail a program. I think he proved himself as a coach there.

Top Bottom