Recruiting - Damon Powell

Like you, I can't tell. This college may be a small community college - 2 or 4 years? Important is that this guy may be a diamond in the rough. Someone who was never noticed because he was very small town. Sounds like maybe a shorter version of Rodney. Very interesting.

Must be a JC player.

He's behind Rodney a few spots here:

What we look for: Usually, the best defenders from the small forward position use their length and athleticism to hound opposing ball handlers. They have the length and quickness to bother guards and defend other small forwards. Defensive-minded small forwards also possess the tenacity and strength needed to defend interior players when called upon.

1. Rodney Williams (New Hope, Minn./ Robbinsdale Cooper)

Williams, a future Minnesota Golden Gopher, has incredible athleticism and length that he uses to badger opposing ball handlers. He also has very good lateral movement, which allows him to effectively guard three positions on the court -- small forwards, shooting guards and even point guards, in a pinch. As Williams becomes stronger, he will develop into an even better perimeter defender.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Mike Moser (Portland, Ore./Grant)

Moser has enough athleticism to also guard multiple spots on the floor. He guards out on the perimeter, and even though he does not have a ton of muscle, his tenacity allows him to guard interior guys at times. Moser, who is committed to Arizona, does a good job moving his feet on the perimeter to stay in front of guards. He also will become even more of a lockdown defender with increased strength and muscle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Damon Powell (Oakland, Calif./McClymonds)

Powell's quickness and intense style of play make him a very good defender. His athleticism and quick feet allow Powell to guard multiple positions on the perimeter, while his strength helps him to guard in the paint. He has explosive leaping ability that makes him a very good shot-blocker, especially coming from the weak side as a help defender. As Powell becomes more disciplined, he will develop into a great defender on the next level.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recr...s/story?columnist=williams_antonio&id=3619615

The hair doesn't work for me. Lol.

http://norcalbasketball.blogspot.com/2009/09/damon-powell-update.html

And a monster dunk

http://tellmemane.wordpress.com/2009/04/22/yay-areas-finest-damon-powell-jumps-over-dudes-head/

ESPN says he is 6'7" PF, yet the article said 6'5" SF? Either way, I'm interested to learn more. Maybe Myron will pick up the story from this board and regurgitate on his stupid blog.

ESPN says he is 6'7" PF, yet the article said 6'5" SF? Either way, I'm interested to learn more. Maybe Myron will pick up the story from this board and regurgitate on his stupid blog.

Probably a 6'6" TWEENER.

Like you, I can't tell. This college may be a small community college - 2 or 4 years? Important is that this guy may be a diamond in the rough. Someone who was never noticed because he was very small town. Sounds like maybe a shorter version of Rodney. Very interesting.

He was well regarded in 2009 HS class but may not have qualified for Div I hence he went JuCo.

If so, he would be a 2011 (not 2010) recruit.

He played HS ball at Oakland McClymonds (most famous basketball alum = Bill Russell, most famous baseball alum = Frank Robinson).

His HS team won CIF state title in 2008 and was runner-up in 2009.

Grades were the reason he didn't go Div I this year.

So he would be a 2011 because he would have to leave junior college with an AA degree right?

So he would be a 2011 because he would have to leave junior college with an AA degree right?

Yes, if he HAD to attend JuCo because of grades (likely), he must graduate with Associate degree to be eligible for Div I starting in 2011 season.

So he'll replace Rodney after after he gets picked third in the 2011 NBA Draft. Sweet.

so are the gophs looking at him or what brought his name up?

It was mentioned in the sixth paragraph, but Powell's coach says that an assistant from Minnesota called and said the Gophers would be recruiting him "immediately." So I guess we are recruiting him.

I saw this thread because I ran a search on Damon-I knew that he was supposed to go to Fresno State but I didn't see him on the roster. He played in three state title game at McClymonds. He's a big leaper--I saw him play several times and he would often get 8 or more dunks per game. He is a tremendous athlete but to be real, he can't shoot worth a damn. He's not a good ball handler but he is an athletic freak of sort-I think he was the state champion in the 100 meter dash as an eighth grader. He went out for the football team where he absolutely dominated but then quit to focus on basketball. Honestly, if you could ever get him to play football, you'd probably have an All American tight end or receiver.

School he went to was terrible. It was more like a prison where the students ran the school instead of the administrators. The dude was never in class so I can't believe he even made it through high school. When I heard he got a qualifying score on his college entrance exams I about *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# my pants.
Smokes a little too much too. All that being said, I don't think you will find someone who plays with as much heart, intensity, and passion as Damon Powell.

Lol .. there's even comments about Rodney on this kids highlight reel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAvdpjItgD4

He's got some awesome moves though. Fun to watch.

When he dunks one handed he kind or reminds me of a right handed vincent grier, but the hair might have something to do with that, haha. He seems like he'd be a great fit in our system though, especially in the full court press.

I'm sure they are watching him and will, just as they are Carlos Emmory, but can't imagine anything happenning until summer with these 2011 juco's.

I saw this thread because I ran a search on Damon-I knew that he was supposed to go to Fresno State but I didn't see him on the roster. He played in three state title game at McClymonds. He's a big leaper--I saw him play several times and he would often get 8 or more dunks per game. He is a tremendous athlete but to be real, he can't shoot worth a damn. He's not a good ball handler but he is an athletic freak of sort-I think he was the state champion in the 100 meter dash as an eighth grader. He went out for the football team where he absolutely dominated but then quit to focus on basketball. Honestly, if you could ever get him to play football, you'd probably have an All American tight end or receiver.

School he went to was terrible. It was more like a prison where the students ran the school instead of the administrators. The dude was never in class so I can't believe he even made it through high school. When I heard he got a qualifying score on his college entrance exams I about *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# my pants.
Smokes a little too much too. All that being said, I don't think you will find someone who plays with as much heart, intensity, and passion as Damon Powell.

So do you know him?

Wouldn't say I know him but lets just say I observed him closely. They had a great team last year and they only lost two games in two years. IMO Will Cherry was the best player on that team--very surprised he ended up at Montana but I'm not surprised that he's getting a lot of minutes and scoring a little bit. Damon Powell is probably the most intense individual that I have ever met. I've never seen anyone in high school that can jump like him. He's just a freak and thats the only way to explain him. But he's missing all that other stuff that makes someone a good fundamental basketball player. He gets great rise on his jump shot but I don't think I ever saw him hit one. Oh, and he is a great defensive player. So no matter what you'll get someone who hustles like crazy, who can rebound, and play defense.

Sounds like just the kind of kid the program needs with the stuff they are going through right now...:confused:

Top Bottom