Recruit information/questions

Reaction score
So apart from Charles Buggs and Wally Ellenson, has anybody heard anything else about 2012 recruits? I've seen a few different names on here and on ESPN, such as Cinmeon Bowers, Matt Willms, and Phillip Nolan, but have not heard much about any of those recruits for a lengthy period of time.

Have any of you heard or read anything recently?

I wonder how active they are for 2012 now. We've filled both our scholarships. The only chance of having an opening is if Rodney decides to leave early.

It would be nice, unless a big time center/pf becomes available...to hold this scholly for 2013. We need better players than we can get in the Spring signing period.

C'mon GW, why bother even replying if " a multitude of possibilities" is all you can post. It's a message board (for posting info) and I come for the info. You know your hoops and seemed to wired in somehow, so...some info would be great (if you have it) but you can keep the teasers, it adds nothing. Thanks in advance.

C'mon GW, why bother even replying if " a multitude of possibilities" is all you can post. It's a message board (for posting info) and I come for the info. You know your hoops and seemed to wired in somehow, so...some info would be great (if you have it) but you can keep the teasers, it adds nothing. Thanks in advance.
How do you know he actually has info? There are still a multitude of possibilities without actual info. Such as ppl assume that Rodney is leaving after this year.

We currently don't have any scholarships open, but I agree with GopherWarrior in that there are a multitude of possibilities. The one possiblity that has been published in the Star Tribune is that the staff expects Rodney Williams to declare for the draft after this year (this was written around LOI time, so a lot could have changed by now). I am not sure if GopherWarrior has inside info in to possible departures, but it certainly would be possible for one or more Gophers who will be upperclassmen next year will decide to transfer if they see the writing on the wall that they will be reserves going forward. I would guess that if the Gophers have a chance at am impact player, they will find a scholarship without much problem.

Ryan James has tweeted that the staff needs a PF for next season, but I believe there is a good chance Phil Nolan will reclassify to 2013 (if he hasn't done so already). Nolan was declared ineligible to play this season in Milwaukee which complicated his recruiting situation. I'd be very surprised if the staff is not looking for a PG and/or scorer to add to the roster as well.

EG#9 said:
We currently don't have any scholarships open, but I agree with GopherWarrior in that there are a multitude of possibilities. The one possiblity that has been published in the Star Tribune is that the staff expects Rodney Williams to declare for the draft after this year (this was written around LOI time, so a lot could have changed by now). I am not sure if GopherWarrior has inside info in to possible departures, but it certainly would be possible for one or more Gophers who will be upperclassmen next year will decide to transfer if they see the writing on the wall that they will be reserves going forward. I would guess that if the Gophers have a chance at am impact player, they will find a scholarship without much problem.

Ryan James has tweeted that the staff needs a PF for next season, but I believe there is a good chance Phil Nolan will reclassify to 2013 (if he hasn't done so already). Nolan was declared ineligible to play this season in Milwaukee which complicated his recruiting situation. I'd be very surprised if the staff is not looking for a PG and/or scorer to add to the roster as well.

I'd hope Johnny Woodard gets whatever scholly is open. I've said it before, but he gets my vote.

Does anyone know where Johnny Gopher has been lately?

So who from the Strib said Rodney Williams will declare for the draft this year.....Sid?

So who from the Strib said Rodney Williams will declare for the draft this year.....Sid?

I hope he doesn't. Just because he's coming to fruition over the past couple months doesn't mean he's ready for the next level by any means. I think one more year of development for Rodney in his current role would do a world of good for his career.

Getting back on topic, though, I've been impatiently waiting to hear some news about this guy's recruitment: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/102751/goodluck-okonoboh

My roommate and I have reason to believe he could reverse the bad luck the Gophers have suffered through for the past few years.

I hope he doesn't. Just because he's coming to fruition over the past couple months doesn't mean he's ready for the next level by any means. I think one more year of development for Rodney in his current role would do a world of good for his career.

Getting back on topic, though, I've been impatiently waiting to hear some news about this guy's recruitment: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/102751/goodluck-okonoboh

My roommate and I have reason to believe he could reverse the bad luck the Gophers have suffered through for the past few years.

A legit reason or blind faith?

A legit reason or blind faith?
920/414 said:
<"My roommate and I have reason to believe he could reverse the bad luck the Gophers have suffered through for the past few years.">

Take another look at the kid's name.

I'd hope Johnny Woodard gets whatever scholly is open. I've said it before, but he gets my vote.

This is where the scholly that Ingram got last Spring can hurt us. Nothing against Ingram, but.......

I said I think if a scholarship opened up their first want would be a power forward. Of course they would likely try and find the most talented guy possible but the want is a four man since the only true four man on the roster is Andre Ingram. Buggs will pry be a four man in the Damian Johnson style and Oto is a four man in the way that Dusty Rychart was although he is kind of more like Jamal Abu-Shamala/David Grimm with more four man ability.

Whatever the case a true power forward is likely the desire but those aren't easy to find.

Here's a question for you guys. What in the hell does Wally Ellenson do on the basketball court that Joey King doesn't do?

And another: Why does Tubby disrespect Minnesota kids generally? Joey King is a Big 10 player, people.

EDIT: I meant Joey King, not Bobby King. Doh.

sunnyday2 said:
Here's a question for you guys. What in the hell does Wally Ellenson do on the basketball court that Bobby King doesn't do?

And another: Why does Tubby disrespect Minnesota kids generally? Bobby King is a Big 10 player, people.

Who on earth is bobby king?

Ryan James said:
I said I think if a scholarship opened up their first want would be a power forward. Of course they would likely try and find the most talented guy possible but the want is a four man since the only true four man on the roster is Andre Ingram. Buggs will pry be a four man in the Damian Johnson style and Oto is a four man in the way that Dusty Rychart was although he is kind of more like Jamal Abu-Shamala/David Grimm with more four man ability.

Whatever the case a true power forward is likely the desire but those aren't easy to find.

Agreed. A Trevor/Royce type 4 is the team need, but I don't think you reach on one of those (already did with Ingram) I think they've gotta take best available player, and hopefully it is a 4.

Here's a question for you guys. What in the hell does Wally Ellenson do on the basketball court that Bobby King doesn't do?

And another: Why does Tubby disrespect Minnesota kids generally? Bobby King is a Big 10 player, people.

Is Bobby King Joey's little brother? Not sure he'd be competing for a roster spot with Wally.

Also Joey King is a 4, Wally is a 2/3. A better question would be, what does Joey King do that Charles Buggs does?

Wesley Staten and Ray Lee are the only PG prospects to even have interest with Minnesota according to Rivals. Neither have offers, and I haven't heard either of their names in a long time connected to Minnesota. Staten isn't even playing HS ball right now after withdrawing from school.

Joey King. Joey King. Joey King. My bad.

But Joey King is a 6-9 3. He could play the 4 I'm sure (obviously he's a 4 in high school), but he has the mobility and the skill set to play the 3 at 6-9.

Point guard.

Station 19 - a lot of people would agree with you. However, I think Tubby believes he can mold Andre Hollins into a good PG. And I think that's possible. But the other part is that there is no way he is recruiting another point guard until he is sure he can't get Tyus Jones.

If King is a Big Ten talent, why isn't he being courted by other Big Ten schools, and why is he going to Drake? How is Tubby being disrespectful?

920/414 said:
<"My roommate and I have reason to believe he could reverse the bad luck the Gophers have suffered through for the past few years.">

Take another look at the kid's name.

I feel dumb. That flew right over my head.

Station 19 - a lot of people would agree with you. However, I think Tubby believes he can mold Andre Hollins into a good PG. And I think that's possible. But the other part is that there is no way he is recruiting another point guard until he is sure he can't get Tyus Jones.

He has a long way to go. If Tyus were to come here(a big if) it would be three years from now. We should be able to squeeze in another pg.

We haven't seen much of Andre since the injury so it is hard to tell if he will make it as a pg.

A natural pg would be a nice change of pace.

Top Bottom