Receiver room looks great next year

He doesn’t get thrown to because he doesn’t get separation and doesn’t always give full effort on his routes. Even many of his great catches often seem to be contested. Yes he has the talent to make those highlight reel, jump ball catches, but the thing that made TJ and Bateman great is they ran great routes and seemed to be wide open all the time. Wright isn’t getting overlooked due to scheme or favoritism, he has had plenty of opportunity to prove himself.
I’m still not sure where the effort thing is coming from, but I completely agree that he’s not great at getting separation. His strength is 50/50 balls. Tanner never wanted to throw those contested balls, so Dylan disappeared for big stretches. Athan was a bit more willing to take those risks and Dylan took advantage.

Someone involved in the program has repeatedly told me that Wright’s problems all stem from an inability to grasp the playbook

CrAB
DJack
Dylan Wright
Corey Crooms
Lemeke Brockington
Michael Brown-Stephens
Donielle Hayes
BSF

6 returning pass catchers, with great incoming talent.

All catching balls from Athan.

View attachment 22504
How does it look great? There is not a great receiver in the room. Our best receiver hasn't been able to stay healthy, Wright has demontrated no consistency, we are bringing in so-so freshman, and our transfers are coming in from mid-major's.

There is good news in that our QB looks like he is willing to throw receivers open, and I hope Crooms and/or Spencer can turn out to be above average. However, great is not a word I would use at this point. Average is a stretch at this point, but where we were this past year average would be a huge improvement. Let's hope at some point mid-season we are saying they are above-average to great, but past production does not indicate that yet.

To be fair, Spencer was on the Biletnikoff list, was a top 35 PFF receiver, and a guy ESPN had as their 10th best available overall player in the portal.

If his ceiling ends up being “above average” it would be a significant underachievement

To be fair, Spencer was on the Biletnikoff list, was a top 35 PFF receiver, and a guy ESPN had as their 10th best available overall player in the portal.

If his ceiling ends up being “above average” it would be a significant underachievement
Yes. It made me wonder, how does a receiver do "better" than being on the Biletnikoff list?

Also, Doesn’t 2 incoming freshman receivers that are in the All American Bowl mean anything to you? The 3rd one is a high 3 star. You seem very negative.

How does it look great? There is not a great receiver in the room. Our best receiver hasn't been able to stay healthy, Wright has demontrated no consistency, we are bringing in so-so freshman, and our transfers are coming in from mid-major's.

There is good news in that our QB looks like he is willing to throw receivers open, and I hope Crooms and/or Spencer can turn out to be above average. However, great is not a word I would use at this point. Average is a stretch at this point, but where we were this past year average would be a huge improvement. Let's hope at some point mid-season we are saying they are above-average to great, but past production does not indicate that yet.
On paper, this looks to be the best non Bateman/Johnson or Decker WR room we've had in the last 20 years and outside of OSU this looks to be as good as any WR room in the conference and clearly the class of the West.

People are quick to write players off. It’s pretty standard for players to improve. Yes MBS had some very ugly plays, but he has made some good plays in the past. He probably will make some good plays next season as well. I’m sure some wrote off Howden, Nubin, and Sori Marin at one
I’m still not sure where the effort thing is coming from, but I completely agree that he’s not great at getting separation. His strength is 50/50 balls. Tanner never wanted to throw those contested balls, so Dylan disappeared for big stretches. Athan was a bit more willing to take those risks and Dylan took advantage.
Maybe he and Tanner didn’t get along on a personal level. There will be squids on here that will say that doesn’t matter and couldn’t be an issue, but things like that do matter and could be an issue. Dylan sure seems all in on 8.

On paper, this looks to be the best non Bateman/Johnson or Decker WR room we've had in the last 20 years and outside of OSU this looks to be as good as any WR room in the conference and clearly the class of the West.
Will have to disagree. I don’t see it. Hope they perform though.

That’s all well and good but on paper don’t mean too much. But I hope you’re right.

We need a player who doesn't pout when he doesn't get the ball.

I like DW but if he will play harder if AK is the QB then he has to mature. I 100% agree that Morgan should have taken more deep shots, especially to DW. I'm not arguing that point. I'm only saying that IF the idea is that DW is going to be more locked in because things will be going his way more, then he needs to mature. I don't know if that's true. I was just responding to someone else's point about him potentially being more locked in with AK.
Can you reference actual pouting as opposed to posters here saying he was pouting?

This is basically the same it looked last year, no?
I'd say not at all given the last couple of days

Flipped 2 WRs participating in the Army All American Bowl.

Got 2 really productive all conference transfers (247 rated Spencer as a 4 star transfer and Crooms with a high 3 star (88) rating).

Going from

Jackson
Wright
MBS
Geary
Brockington

To

CrAB
Jackson
Spencer
Crooms
Wright
Brockington
Maybe MBS

Plus depth of Hoskins, White
HS recruits Hayes, Lanier, McWilliams

Last edited:

Can you reference actual pouting as opposed to posters here saying he was pouting?
A poster said that his body language improved with AK and I said that I agreed with that but that's still a problem. I don't really have video evidence of plays to show, I wasn't expecting to have to prove my opinion on a message board. But there are a few of us on here that didn't think he always had the best body language at times last year. Again, you're free to disagree it's kind of an opinion thing.

It’ll be interesting to see how it shakes out. I think it’s still up in the air as far as how talented this group is, does an NFL type talent emerge? It’s certainly the deepest group we’ve had in some time. The offense has typically focused on only two wrs, so it will be interesting to see who emerges as those 2 or if something changes in that regard.

A poster said that his body language improved with AK and I said that I agreed with that but that's still a problem. I don't really have video evidence of plays to show, I wasn't expecting to have to prove my opinion on a message board. But there are a few of us on here that didn't think he always had the best body language at times last year. Again, you're free to disagree it's kind of an opinion thing.
Your post that I responded to said something to the effect "we need a player who doesn't pout when ... "

That did not seem to be an opinion. It was stating as factual something I had not seen, though I admittedly am not expert in reading body language as some here claim to be.

This is basically the same it looked last year, no?
And don’t forget, the guys who played last year (Wright, DJack, Brock…) are all a year more experienced - so even without new guys, we have reason to believe our existing guys will be more productive than last year (QB play not withstanding)

Top Bottom