Reality

The SF Rock

Banned
Reaction score
I thought we would get Wrightsell. Then I realized he had an agent. That spells NIL only. With agents picking up portal transfers and HS kids it is solely about NIL for the best talent. Just let that sink in for a minute before you post again.

I thought we would get Wrightsell. Then I realized he had an agent. That spells NIL only. With agents picking up portal transfers and HS kids it is solely about NIL for the best talent. Just let that sink in for a minute before you post again.
I guess we need a coach who can deal with this new reality if the current one can't.

Thanks for letting us know what to ponder before posting. You're a guiding light.

Rockraven thinks NIL has been and is our biggest problem

So, you believe we need a new coach, able to deal with this new reality.

Agreed.

And a new AD and leadership
I'm sure you've been asked before but, care to elaborate? I don't see how either of these would help with NIL since that's what OP is saying.

It's a combination of factors.
-Recent lack of success
-don't get on the marquee TV games
-old arena/lack of home-game atmosphere
-lack of NIL
-MN winter weather

any one of those can be an issue. but when you combine multiple factors, it makes MN a hard sell.

Granted, that is Johnson's job - to sell MN to recruits. But, it would be easier if he had a better product to sell. some of that is on him, but the arena and NIL are not on him.

I'm sure you've been asked before but, care to elaborate? I don't see how either of these would help with NIL since that's what OP is saying.
Mn has been behind the 8 ball the entire time with respect to nil. That's an athletic dept and leadership failure.

It's a combination of factors.
-Recent lack of success
-don't get on the marquee TV games
-old arena/lack of home-game atmosphere
-lack of NIL
-MN winter weather

any one of those can be an issue. but when you combine multiple factors, it makes MN a hard sell.

Granted, that is Johnson's job - to sell MN to recruits. But, it would be easier if he had a better product to sell. some of that is on him, but the arena and NIL are not on him.
Disagree with your entire list and conclusions. Biggest problem for Gophers is that we are not in Lincoln or Iowa City, Ann Arbor or Columbus etc where the local team is the college team. Gophers come after the Vikings, Twins, T Wolves, Wild, (whoever the soccer team is? United Loons?) Gopher players are not the biggest thing in town...they are are at other schools.

The barn sold out and full is an asset and an advantage....(we need a new arena) but it has nothing to do with why we lose.

Having stated the above: It still comes down to the right coach just ignores it all and accentuates all the positives and wins. He makes it a place people want to be. It is all the right coach with the ability and balls to convince the administration of the things he needs to be successful and the ability to recruit and coach.
PJ gets a few breaks and he has things on track to become elite. Will it happen? dunno...but it's the right coach...nothing else. Rest is excuses.

Small college towns don't have Fortune 500 companies and pro sports or the Mall of America...turn the uniqueness of the Gophers into assets versus problems.

Program has been an afterthought since 1997 with the exception of 2-3 decent years. This has been building for a long time. It’s in way worse shape than FB was when Fleck took over IMO. But I do believe that a good gopher basketball team can sell well and get support, but it’s a long road.

Don’t conveniently forget that Wrightsell gets a chance to play for last years number 1 overall seed. Sure NIL yada yada yada, but dude chose the big leagues in numerous areas, not just NIL.

Top Bottom