Realignment rumors

This would form a strong nationally relevant conference, with a huge television food print. This would be a truly dominant conference that would destory others from a revenue perspective.

BIG 10 WEST:

Colorado, Oregon, USC, Washington, UCLA, Stanford and Nebraska

BIG 10 Midwest:

Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana

Big 10 East:

OSU, MSU, PSU, Michigan, Rutgers, Maryland

Big 12/Pac 10 Leftovers: Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, OSU, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Arizona, ASU, Cal, Oregan State, washington State and Utah for a good conference, but not a great one. Probably add BYU and Houston.

SEC = ESPN

BIG/PAC = Fox

This would form a strong nationally relevant conference, with a huge television food print. This would be a truly dominant conference that would destory others from a revenue perspective.

BIG 10 WEST:

BIG 10 Midwest:

Big 10 East:

Big 12/Pac 10 Leftovers: Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, OSU, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Arizona, ASU, Cal, Oregan State, washington State and Utah for a good conference, but not a great one. Probably add BYU and Houston.

SEC = ESPN

BIG/PAC = Fox
Can you do it again but this time leave Nebraska out of it? 🙏🙏🙏

I'm not sure how this is a debate. Both statements are true: a lot of high impact research is done at non AAU universities; the top research institutions are all members of AAU. They're not mutually exclusive.
He said that AAU was elitist, which indicates that he feels it is not important.

This makes the most sense. The B1G is not going to pick up the ”leftovers“ from other conferences. Adding the top schools out of the Pac12 would make it truly a national conference. It would add huge revenue sections of the country. The Pac12 has suffered from a diminishing respect as a conference, joining the major national conference would bring back immediate respect.

With Penn State already in the mix....the addition of Maryland and Rutgers didn't change a whole lot. Now look at Nebraska being the furthest west team. An expansion all the way to LA is a major stretch of the Big Ten footprint.

th
This is what it would look like by adding the top PAC12 school (including Arizona).

B1GPAC.jpg

BIG 10 WEST:

BIG 10 Midwest:

Big 10 East:

SEC = ESPN

BIG/PAC = Fox

Hard pass. Just looks like a lot more near-guaranteed losses for our beloved Minnesota football program each and every year (not to mention a lot more losses for our other sports).

If the Big Ten adds USC, UCLA and Stanford it is truly elite. The state of California does have a few issues, however.

Hard pass. Just looks like a lot more near-guaranteed losses for our beloved Minnesota football program each and every year (not to mention a lot more losses for our other sports).
OR, we get better. It could happen in football fairly quickly.

Read the ESPN page and he spells it out. SEC is the best . That is where they want to be.
isn’t that similar to an owner/GM/AD saying “they have my support” when asked about a head coach, only to see them fired weeks later.

If the Big Ten adds USC, UCLA and Stanford it is truly elite. The state of California does have a few issues, however.
WTF issues are you trying to infer? Politics?

WTF issues are you trying to infer? Politics?
You can’t be this dull in real life? Just a couple: millions leaving the state because of high taxes, houses are many times more expensive than most anywhere, tons of vacant buildings, wildfires are an annual fear along with earthquakes,
homelessness is out of control- people sleeping on sidewalks downtown LA and SF, people sleeping in tent cities on the beach, pollution and water worries, traffic is worst of anywhere. Crime is a bigger problem than many places. People are more frustrated by all these things and more and as a result are short tempered and rude and also intolerable of any perceived slight. It’s not a fun place to be right now.
Just to name a couple off the top.

A&M's big issue with TX was over the Longhorn Network - with TX basically demanding the right to have its own side deal that other Big12 Teams received no benefit from. A&M was worried that TX would want to pull something similar in the SEC.

But - according to the reports that Built mentioned, it sounds as if TX has promised that it will drop the Longhorn Network if it is accepted by the SEC. It's one thing to bigfoot the Big12. Bigfooting the SEC is another deal. TX does not have the muscle to pull that off. They need the SEC more than the SEC needs TX.

as to the B1G - Maryland and Rutgers were added to gain access to new TV markets. ISU and KS add very little in that regard. KS does add a strong basketball program, but their FB program is horse bleep.

If the Pac12 was really going to implode, then USC or UCLA would provide the LA TV market - a "big" deal for the B1G.

I remain very skeptical about that happening. Adding teams in the Western time zone would also create some scheduling issues. Do you want Gopher FB or basketball games kicking off or tipping off at 9:00pm Central time?

what would the Big ten look like if tOSU and UMichigan (plus clemson and Florida State) join the SEC?

what would the Big ten look like if tOSU and UMichigan (plus clemson and Florida State) join the SEC?
If the decision like this were just up to the athletic department, I could see a possibility of Michigan joining the SEC. I'm pretty sure a move like this would also have be signed off by the president, though, and I believe that would have almost zero chance of ever happening

Football is obviously extremely important… but conferences are not just about football. Physical proximity to one another matter and regional cohesion matters for the sake of the fan bases and for the sake of the 20 plus other athletic programs travel. Ohio State and Michigan are not going to the SEC.

I just don’t see how the SEC is not a conference for Southern tier universities and therefore the Big Ten is a conference for Northern tier universities and the PAC 12 is the conference where the large Western Universities are and the ACC stings up anongside the Atlantic coast and the BIG 12 tries to cobble together something largely representing Texas and the plains and high plains states.

Geographic cohesion does matter for setting up these conferences.

If the Pac12 was really going to implode, then USC or UCLA would provide the LA TV market - a "big" deal for the B1G.

I remain very skeptical about that happening. Adding teams in the Western time zone would also create some scheduling issues. Do you want Gopher FB or basketball games kicking off or tipping off at 9:00pm Central time?
Just my personal take but I really enjoyed our late starts in road football games at Oregon State and Fresno State. I’m more of a night owl, but getting to stay up past midnight on a Saturday watching Gopher football was really cool to me, granted it helped that we won both games. I understand on weeknights it might suck for people who might have to get up at 6 or 7 am the next day, but I personally would be very okay with more opportunities to watch late night Gopher athletics.

Just my personal take but I really enjoyed our late starts in road football games at Oregon State and Fresno State. I’m more of a night owl, but getting to stay up past midnight on a Saturday watching Gopher football was really cool to me, granted it helped that we won both games. I understand on weeknights it might suck for people who might have to get up at 6 or 7 am the next day, but I personally would be very okay with more opportunities to watch late night Gopher athletics.

You need to look through the other end of that telescope. The real issue isn’t from the Central time zone people, it is from the Western time zone people.

Do think the West Coast bar/restaurant owners are going to want to have all of their college sports conference games OVER by 7-8 PM Western time? Uh…no. Way too much entertainment, alcohol sales money involved in following sports after 7:30-8 western time.

For this reason and multiple others, there is just no way the Pacific Time Zone universities are going to elect to join the Central/Eastern time zone dominant Big Ten conference.

You need to look through the other end of that telescope. The real issue isn’t from the Central time zone people, it is from the Western time zone people.

Do think the West Coast bar/restaurant owners are going to want to have all of their college sports conference games OVER by 7-8 PM Western time? Uh…no. Way too much entertainment, alcohol sales money involved in following sports after 7:30-8 western time.

For this reason and multiple others, there is just no way the Pacific Time Zone universities are going to elect to join the Central/Eastern time zone dominant Big Ten conference.
There would likely be divisional scheduling to minimize this. And they're pretty used to it from pro sports.

It's all about A&M for the Big Ten. That's a rich school, opens up BTN for TV, big time recruiting, etc.

The Big Ten will see what A&M does, and add one more school from there.
You are nuts if you think the Big Ten would add any school that ends in A&M. There are academic standards.

You are nuts if you think the Big Ten would add any school that ends in A&M. There are academic standards.
Academically they are on par with the University of Minnesota, acceptance rates are similar, entrance exam averages are about the same, rankings are comparable. They would be a very good fit for the Big Ten.

Top Bottom